Linux USB DAC and pci soundcard optical Input
Hi,

i am currently running Kodi (openelec in this case) on a XFX GeForce 9300 board with a Musical Fidelity m3si amp connected via USB. This really works like a charm and right out of the box.

I so have various other sound sources i would like to connect via optical to my hifi system, i am wondering if it's possible to buy either one soundcard with multiple optical inputs (2+) or multiple soundcards with one optical input each and have that sound play on my hifi via the usb dac of my amp?
This would make kodi the perfect media hub, together with my hd homerun...

I am quite sure i am not the first to ever try this.

Since i am quite the linux beginner, does anyone have compatible hardware suggestions, or links/ressources fort getting the software part to work?
Kodi isn't really designed to work as an input switch like that. I assume your amp only has one optical input?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi nickr,

no the problem is that it has no optical in at all. Only the USB DAC.
(2015-05-13, 02:36)nickr Wrote: Kodi isn't really designed to work as an input switch like that. I assume your amp only has one optical input?

Well, but it's linux base underneath should be able to pull this off, right?

Suggestions, anyone?
I don't know.

Can I get this right? You want to INPUT spdif to the computer and feed that out to the USB DAC?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi nickr,

yes exactly!

Since my amp does not have optical inputs, and i do not want another extra device (dedicated dac with optical Inputs) in my living room, this would be the perfect solution for me.

This would enable me to build some sort of AV Receiver from openelec.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB DAC and pci soundcard optical Input0