Hardware Advice
Question 
Moderator please move this if needed. I've read a lot of posts this morning and couldn't decide best location.

I need some help please. After a recent tragedy I'm struggling to think even vaguely straight so I need to outsource my thinking. I own a relatively new Sony smart TV, a ReadyNas 314 (currently running PLEX) and a powerful ITX rig - all sat in the corner with the TV. I'm new to KODI and I just can't get my head around what I need to do to 'get into' it. No matter how much I Google I can't get a straight answer. So my questions are:-

1. Can my NAS run KODI directly or do I need a stand-alone box/unit etc
2. What is the best way to run KODI, regardless of whether my Nas can do it?

I don't mind spending a bit of money to have a good working setup, preferably something a little idiot proof right now.

Any and all help gratefully received. I'll go back to reading posts and stickies now in the hope I can work it out myself..
Looking at the spec for the ReadyNas 314 it isn't one of the few NAS enclosures with HDMI output, so it won't run Kodi natively. Kodi is a video/audio playback application so any device that runs it needs a video output (USB video output solutions aren't suitable) I suspect that your NAS is running a Plex server rather than a Plex client currently.

So you will need a new bit of hardware to actually run Kodi on. This could be anything from a Fire TV Stick, via a Raspberry Pi 2, a Chromebox or a high-end Core i7 Quad Core HTPC with an nVidia graphics card.

You probably need to write a list of requirements and then use that to narrow down your hardware choice. Examples of questions worth asking yourself :

HD Audio support (do you connect to an AV amp or other 5.1/7.1 sound system - and what connectivity does this have? Do you want to connect directly or via your TV?) Does your current, or future, content have HD Audio?
3D Support (Do you watch 3D content? Do you have a 3D TV? Do you need full-res 3D Blu-ray support or is 3D half-res side-by-side or top-and-bottom support sufficient)
Live/Recorded TV (Do you want Kodi for watching live or recorded TV?)
De-interlacing (As above, but also do you watch content that is interlaced - like concert or sport DVDs or Blu-rays)
Size (Does it need to be small or do you have space for a larger box?)
Power consumption (is it on 24/7, is power consumption a concern?)
Noise (fanless, quiet fan or will box be sited somewhere where noise isn't an issue?)
Other applications (Will you want to run Netflix, Amazon Prime/Instant etc. apps on the same box. Probably not if you have a new Sony Smart TV)
Experience level - are you a tinkerer or do you want something that 'just works'?

All these are factors to take into account. You may find help in the threads - but sounds like you may want to post answers here
Hi Noggin thank you for responding.

The 314 does actually have an HDMI output I just haven't had a means to use it yet. Direct connect to TV will just show the NAS os.. Yes it is the PLEX server.

Historically I am a tinkerer but currently I'm struggling to think my way through things so I guess the just works option might be safest.

I'm not worried about 3D. Am happy with 'average' audio playback although I have a pretty decent Sony 5.1 setup.

Space, power and noise I'm not fussed about either. Netflix and Amazon run direct on my TV.

I would like the option to watch live and recorded stuff.

Ideally I'd love it if the NAS can do it, but failing that maybe this Chromebox could be the way forward for me..

My rig is an i7 4790K and Titan X gpu'd little monster, but I wouldn't want that to be on and running like a server at all times. The storage on it is only 3tb too, whereas my NAS houses 24tb.

On reflection, although I'd say I'm a tinkerer, I'd clarify it by saying my experience isn't that great so something that 'just works' but with the option to adjust or play with things a bit would be ideal..

Am grateful for any help.
There is a sticky at the the top of this forum titled "Pick the Right Kodi Box (UPDATED FEB 2015)". I'd suggest you read that (at least the 1st post) and come back here if you have questions.

The chromebox or Pi2 is what I prefer and they can play both live and recorded video (Pi2 may need the MPEG2 license).
Hi Katsup

Without being sarcastic- I did read the first posted stickie. It's useful but not as helpful for me as it could be. My general opinion after reading it is to get a Chromebox. However, as it appears to be one person having written it, I'd like to go into this endeavour with a little more information. Such as whether I can use my NAS.
It's great that forums have so much information but to a person that is new to an interest it makes it so much easier to learn by interaction. Not everyone learns the same way.
Thanks for the opinion at the end. I don't currently know enough to know what I need to know, so I need to see how other people have arrived at their ideas etc.
let the NAS be a NAS, and let your thin client be your playback device. Everything will work 100x smoother that way. The dual-core Atom CPUs on most NAS units these days is adequate for a file server, but that's about it.
(2015-05-13, 21:19)Steeldemonuk Wrote: Hi Katsup

Without being sarcastic- I did read the first posted stickie. It's useful but not as helpful for me as it could be. My general opinion after reading it is to get a Chromebox. However, as it appears to be one person having written it, I'd like to go into this endeavour with a little more information. Such as whether I can use my NAS.
It's great that forums have so much information but to a person that is new to an interest it makes it so much easier to learn by interaction. Not everyone learns the same way.
Thanks for the opinion at the end. I don't currently know enough to know what I need to know, so I need to see how other people have arrived at their ideas etc.
But the thread is full of other people's replies and what hardware they use....

To answer your original questions:

1. Can my NAS run KODI directly or do I need a stand-alone box/unit etc
- Some can, but often they are older versions of Kodi. You'd have to research specifics about your NAS or just try it.

2. What is the best way to run KODI, regardless of whether my Nas can do it?
- With a standalone device that accesses the media on your NAS. This is what Matt Devo described, and is what most NAS owners do, including myself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Advice0