Subtitles not showing for last seconds of tvshow
I am using latest stable 5.0.8 in Rpi2. When watching tv shows, they will not display the subtitles when the episode is near the end (5-7 seconds before it finishes).

Subtitles work fine up until then and suddenly they will not show and as a results episodes that end with a cliffhanger, I will have to turn up the volume and understand what is said. It will not be perceived when watching movies since credits last at least 2 or 3 minutes but tv shows almost always end right at the end of the file with dialogue.

Very annoying. Anyone else noticed this?
Try the OpenELEC 6 Beta.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Also try disabling omxplayer in video/acceleration settings.
(2015-05-14, 12:41)Milhouse Wrote: Try the OpenELEC 6 Beta.

Not an option, don't want to update database, I'm running mysql.

(2015-05-15, 01:28)popcornmix Wrote: Also try disabling omxplayer in video/acceleration settings.

Thought of that but I still think omxplayer is better in general terms. I still want to use it.

Any other option? config.txt anything?
(2015-05-15, 11:35)vprasinos Wrote: Not an option, don't want to update database, I'm running mysql.
It would be useful just to test it (e.g. on a separate sdcard, or after backing up your current one).
I don't want to spend time investigating an issue that may already be fixed.

Quote:Thought of that but I still think omxplayer is better in general terms. I still want to use it.

Any other option? config.txt anything?
It would still be useful to narrow down the problem to confirm if it the problem is omplayer specific.

A sample file that demonstrates the problem would also be useful.
(2015-05-15, 13:35)popcornmix Wrote: It would be useful just to test it (e.g. on a separate sdcard, or after backing up your current one).
I don't want to spend time investigating an issue that may already be fixed.

Ok will try tonight with 5.95.1 and report back.

Quote:It would still be useful to narrow down the problem to confirm if it the problem is omplayer specific.
A sample file that demonstrates the problem would also be useful.

IT IS omxplayer specific. Dvdplayer is just fine, displays subs properly at end of file, however as I said before it still lacks in playback compared to omxplayer. For example in my tv shows (the flash) I am watching now, if I pause the video and restart it with dvdplayer, it plays choppy but if I rewind/ff then the file plays fine. But that's an issue for another thread...
(2015-05-16, 10:50)vprasinos Wrote: as I said before it still lacks in playback compared to omxplayer. For example in my tv shows (the flash) I am watching now, if I pause the video and restart it with dvdplayer, it plays choppy but if I rewind/ff then the file plays fine. But that's an issue for another thread...

Also try this with 5.95.1 (or Milhouse) build. dvdplayer behaves much better than on Helix. If there is still a problem with dvdplayer then that's worth a new thread.
(2015-05-16, 12:50)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 10:50)vprasinos Wrote: as I said before it still lacks in playback compared to omxplayer. For example in my tv shows (the flash) I am watching now, if I pause the video and restart it with dvdplayer, it plays choppy but if I rewind/ff then the file plays fine. But that's an issue for another thread...

Also try this with 5.95.1 (or Milhouse) build. dvdplayer behaves much better than on Helix. If there is still a problem with dvdplayer then that's worth a new thread.

Installed 5.95.1 and the problem is resolved with omxplayer. Dvdplayer never had this issue so not a problem. Dvdplayer in isengard however is better, worth noticing, but still has some ff/rew issues. Will make more observations in more files and start a new thread instead if found something that needs fixing.

I have another irrelevant question. The database is smaller in size in isengard (20mb in helix, 15mb in isengard) is this normal?
A lot of bogus duplicate data has been eliminated from the Isengard database, a never ending source of pain...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Hi, I can reproduce this issue with OpenElec 5.0.8, OpenELEC 5.95.1 and a build from Milhouse from last Sunday. It seems that the issue still exists. I tried it with several *.mkv files. The last ~ 10 seconds at the end of a video subtitiles are missing / hang. I disable the omxplayer acceleration and the problem does not exist with MAML acceleration. But MAML seems to have some stuttering issues during playback (looks like a pulldown issue).
(2015-05-26, 14:46)Patrick_x86 Wrote: Hi, I can reproduce this issue with OpenElec 5.0.8, OpenELEC 5.95.1 and a build from Milhouse from last Sunday. It seems that the issue still exists. I tried it with several *.mkv files. The last ~ 10 seconds at the end of a video subtitiles are missing / hang. I disable the omxplayer acceleration and the problem does not exist with MAML acceleration. But MAML seems to have some stuttering issues during playback (looks like a pulldown issue).

Can you try latest Milhouse build and check if you get stuttering with/without the prefer PTS timestamps option?
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2012653
Hi popcornmix,

I have the same issue and I tried the newest build from Mulhouse today. I did the following steps:

- disabled OMXPlayer acceleration
- Enabled PTS for videos
- media file is a *.mkv video (24p) with a UTF-8 encoded *.ass subtitles

The result was stuttering every few seconds. I disabled the PTS function again and there is stuttering, too. But not as much as with PTS (just like pulldown stuttering). So MAML is displaying a few seconds of subtitles at the end of a video instead of OMXPLayer, but has stuttering. Is "Play next file" enabled OMXPlayer is also not displaying PGS Subtitles in the next video (but this is a topic for another thread or bug ticket).

Why are there differences between OMX and MAML? And what is the better one?
(2015-05-29, 22:32)ztarbugz Wrote: Why are there differences between OMX and MAML? And what is the better one?

The recommendation is MMAL for Pi2 and OMXPlayer for Pi1.
OMXPlayer runs the whole media player logic on the GPU which lowers CPU usage on the arm (useful for Pi1) but it's inevitable there will be subtle changes in behaviour.
If you can provide a sample file that plays stuttery with MMAL I can investigate.
(2015-05-30, 12:36)popcornmix Wrote: The recommendation is MMAL for Pi2 and OMXPlayer for Pi1.
OMXPlayer runs the whole media player logic on the GPU which lowers CPU usage on the arm (useful for Pi1) but it's inevitable there will be subtle changes in behaviour.
If you can provide a sample file that plays stuttery with MMAL I can investigate.

Ah ok. Did not know this. I did the test on a Pi1, not yet on Pi2. Will try this on Wednesday. I will upload a sample *.mkv file and share a link so you can try.

Might there any quality issue between MAML and OMXplayer?
(2015-05-31, 20:37)ztarbugz Wrote: Might there any quality issue between MAML and OMXplayer?

Should be identical (video decode, format conversion and scaling paths are all identical).

The one area you may see a difference is in the smoothness of the frames, either due to performance (when cpu is busy on a pi 1, omxplayer copes better),
or due to subtle differences in how the timestamps are interpreted. For good files (e.g. mkv) there should be no difference. For less good files (e.g. avi), especially
if the video has been through a number of tools and has inconsistent timestamps then you may see a difference.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles not showing for last seconds of tvshow0