Subtitles not showing for last seconds of tvshow
(2015-05-31, 20:52)popcornmix Wrote: Should be identical (video decode, format conversion and scaling paths are all identical).

The one area you may see a difference is in the smoothness of the frames, either due to performance (when cpu is busy on a pi 1, omxplayer copes better),
or due to subtle differences in how the timestamps are interpreted. For good files (e.g. mkv) there should be no difference. For less good files (e.g. avi), especially
if the video has been through a number of tools and has inconsistent timestamps then you may see a difference.

I did some tests today on Pi1 and Pi2. For both, I used Milhouse´latest OpenELEC builds. On both versions of Pi the issue exists with OMXPlayer, but not with MAML acceleration. But both have the mentioned stuttering issue with MAML. I used my backup with the latest OpenELEC stable builds with Helix 14.2 and there is no stuttering in the same video file while using MAML (used the same mentioned *.mkv files). I guess we can close this topic for the subtitles and put the stuttering topic in another thread. If you need the sample file I can upload it over night.
Does enabling "Prefer pts timestamps" in video/acceleration settings fix it?
No, it does not change anything on Pi2 (on Pi1 more stuttering).
Could you provide a sample file?
(2015-06-05, 11:15)popcornmix Wrote: Could you provide a sample file?

You can find my test file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/citabp5hyy7v52...a.mkv?dl=0

The first 20 seconds are enough for testing with MAML stuttering. I will do some more tests with other files today.
(2015-06-06, 17:57)ztarbugz Wrote: You can find my test file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/citabp5hyy7v52...a.mkv?dl=0

The first 20 seconds are enough for testing with MAML stuttering. I will do some more tests with other files today.

Couldn't see any stuttering with this file using latest Milhouse build.
No difference with omxplayer enabled or disabled.

Do you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled? Display supports 23.97Hz?
Do you have "sync playback to display" enabled?
(2015-06-07, 14:55)popcornmix Wrote: Couldn't see any stuttering with this file using latest Milhouse build.
No difference with omxplayer enabled or disabled.

Do you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled? Display supports 23.97Hz?
Do you have "sync playback to display" enabled?

Hm ok that´s weird. I had this small stuttering issues on other files, too. "Adjust Display refresh rate to match video" is enabled, sync playback to Display is not enabled. My Display supports 23.97Hz. I will do a retest with Milhouse`newest build.
Ok I did a test today with Milhouse' newest build (on Pi1 and Pi2). I already have this small stuttering with MAML acceleration (Omxplayer was disabled, no Problems with it). I used the same file I uploaded for you. I tried with the following settings:

"adjust display refresh rate to match video": enabled (pause during refresh rate change was set to start / stop, tired also always)
"sync playback to display": disabled

Result: stuttering (good to see after 15 seconds of the Video file

"adjust display refresh rate to match video" enabled (pause during refresh rate change was set to start / stop, tired also always)
"sync playback to display": enabled

Result: no stuttering (but I seems to me like Omxplayer is a only little bit better in motion)

My question is did you not recognize any stuttering (it is not every time) on the file, especially after 15 seconds of the beginning? I tried it with every setting now, but if I disabled Omxplayer there is this small stuttering. If I enable Omxplayer I did not have any issue. As I mentioned with Kodi 14.2 on Pi there is no problem with the same file using MAML with setting:

"adjust display refresh rate to match video": enabled (pause during refresh rate change was set to start / stop)
"sync playback to display": disabled

Currently I have no idea what Problem could be.
If you want smooth video then "adjust display refresh rate to match video" is essential.

For MMAL you also need "sync playback to display". With OMXPlayer this setting isn't essential.

So, assuming you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "sync playback to display" enabled, do you have any stuttering issues? (with MMAL or omxplayer).
(2015-06-12, 13:59)popcornmix Wrote: If you want smooth video then "adjust display refresh rate to match video" is essential.

For MMAL you also need "sync playback to display". With OMXPlayer this setting isn't essential.

So, assuming you have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "sync playback to display" enabled, do you have any stuttering issues? (with MMAL or omxplayer).

Ah ok I did not know that "adjust display refresh rate to match video" AND "sync playback to display" is essential for MAML. Picture looks pretty good to me. Will do some more tests for myself but I guess this is ok. I did only the tests in past without the last one as it was not neccessary to enable this setting in Kodi 14.x. Why is this setting essential for MAML? And what is recomended for "adjust display refresh rate to matc video" ? Start / Stop, or Always? Is a limitation for "pause while during change refresh rate" useful?

Thanks for all your help, popcornmix. You did a great job.
(2015-06-12, 17:40)ztarbugz Wrote: I did only the tests in past without the last one as it was not neccessary to enable this setting in Kodi 14.x. Why is this setting essential for MAML? And what is recomended for "adjust display refresh rate to matc video" ? Start / Stop, or Always? Is a limitation for "pause while during change refresh rate" useful?

MMAL uses a different player (dvdplayer) compared to omxplayer and interprets the settings differently.
"start/stop" means hdmi refresh rate is set on start of video but never changed.
"always" means it may change hdmi refresh rate during the video.

"always" is rarely needed. It may be wanted if the metadata of the file is incorrect. e.g. mkv header says 25fps but actual video rate is 23.967, using "always" will switch to 50Hz at start, but then switch to 23.97Hz after a few seconds. "start/stop" would just leave it at 50Hz. It could also be used if the refresh rate changes mid-file, but that is very rare.

There is no necessity for "pause while during change refresh rate". If TV is slow at switching and you don't like losing the first couple of seconds of video you can make it pause, but I don't bother (my TV switches in a second or two).
Dumb question but do the subtitles follow the audio and if so could the audio be out of sync with the video?
Hello, here´s my 2 cents regarding this.

All my test have been done on a Raspberry Pi model B, using OpenElec 5.0.8.

Regarding the subtitles problem, I can confirm that when using OMXplayer the last few seconds of a subtitle don't appear, either with .srt or .ass; however, when using MMAL (DVDplayer), this issue doesn't seem to exist.

For that reason, I tried leaving just DVDplayer enabled, however, I also enconter some stuttering issues with some files; most of my files play fine, even some full mkv bluray rips, but with a rare few, I get some frames skipped, visible stuttering, and low fps.
The same file plays perfectly on OMX.

I uploaded a sample of a file presenting those problems: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34641394/sample.mkv
(Original file was an .mp4 but remuxed to mkv with mkvtoolnix to produce sample)

I also tried @ztarbugz tempura file, and it seems to play OK, again, this on Kodi 14.2.

On a side note, I have "adjust display refresh rate to match video" and "sync playback to display" disabled, both on OMX and MMAL, however, enabling them doesn't appear to help. With OMX and those settings disabled, all my files play fine.

P.S. excuse my english.
this is an old issue.
I have this issue since XBMC v13 (Gotham). I learn to live with it... =(
RPI (raspbmc) and RPI2 (osmc)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles not showing for last seconds of tvshow0