kodi 14.1 won't open in M8 andriod box
I tried to update from kodi 14.0 to 14.1 on my M8 andriod box, after installing it started to do a first run but went back to the home page it does not open. please help, thanks
I am experiencing the same issue. I think it is best to completely erase the tv box and install 15.0 but, that is a challenge in its own
Best advice is to use SPMC (wiki) a Kodi 4.2 build that was specially designed for Android. http://spmc.semperpax.com/
(2015-05-26, 16:46)PatK Wrote: Best advice is to use SPMC (wiki) a Kodi 4.2 build that was specially designed for Android. http://spmc.semperpax.com/

I just installed spmc and it says preparing first run then just stays black. With the swipe down from the top to exit full screen
What worked for me was installing SuperSu from the Play Store and giving SPMC root access permanently when the pop up box shows up when starting SPMC.

Just install 15.0 and be done with it.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-05-26, 19:10)Martijn Wrote: Just install 15.0 and be done with it.

But v15 won't work any better than v14 does as far as compatibility or permissions go, right? If there is a permissions issue then that would still need to be fixed. However, that doesn't sound like the issue here if Kodi won't open at all.
(2015-05-27, 04:16)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-05-26, 19:10)Martijn Wrote: Just install 15.0 and be done with it.

But v15 won't work any better than v14 does as far as compatibility or permissions go, right? If there is a permissions issue then that would still need to be fixed. However, that doesn't sound like the issue here if Kodi won't open at all.

15.0 doesn't need any permissions so there couldn't be an issue with it
Kodi never needed permissions. The permissions were set on Android system files so that AMLcodec would work correctly, and Kodi v14 would request this to be done. v15 simply doesn't give the request. Bad permissions will still be an issue.

EDIT: meant amlogic codec. MediaCodec was never an issue in any version of Kodi/XBMC, in relation to permissions being set.
(2015-05-27, 06:38)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi never needed permissions. The permissions were set on Android system files so that MediaCodec would work correctly, and Kodi v14 would request this to be done. v15 simply doesn't give the request. Bad permissions will still be an issue.

You are wrong.
14.0 needed root, 15.0 doesn't
v14 never needed root, and I'm not wrong. If the firmware doesn't have permissions set correctly then it won't work with v15. This is easily verifiable if you don't believe me.
(2015-05-27, 06:43)Ned Scott Wrote: v14 never needed root, and I'm not wrong. If the firmware doesn't have permissions set correctly then it won't work with v15. This is easily verifiable if you don't believe me.

you are wrong!

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6432
that removed root ^^ Code doesn't lie.
nope.jpg

The code actually shows I'm right. It even shows what error message will show up in the debug log when the permissions are not set: "AML: no proper permission, please contact the device vendor. Skipping codec..."

It will fallback on mediacodec or software decode after that, but that doesn't always work for every amlogic box/firmware out there.

v14 never required root, and people could manually disable amlcodec if they wanted to and the end result would be the exact same as what you get in v15.
Whatever. Lost interest
It's all besides the point, because none of this has anything to do with OP's problem of Kodi not starting at all.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
kodi 14.1 won't open in M8 andriod box0