Rp2 power problem
Hi guys

I have a raspberry pi 2 and running it through a 2.1amp 5v USB wall charger and plugged in to that a 3 metre USB cable. I need 3 metres to reach the plug socket and couldn't find a micro USB power adaptor long enough so had to buy the wall charger and USB to micro USB cable seperately.

I am running openelec 5.0.8 and have plugged in to the pi a flirc and a wi-pi wireless adaptor. Everything runs great with this set up but was having problems with buffering so I did some research and bought a tp-link TL-WN823N to replace the wi-pi adaptor. Now the buffering has stopped and I am able to stream 1080p movies no problem. The only thing is I get a multi coloured block in the top right of the screen which I believe indicated a power problem. I'm guessing the new wireless adaptor draws more power and the wall charger and USB cable are not up to it.

Im just wondering if anyone running a 3 metre or longer power adaptor with success and if so how have you got it set up.

Cheers guys Smile
It is definitely the long cable that is causing the problems. These USB cables have pitifully thin power lines inside and they drop a lot of voltage even in 1m length.
If you really need such a long distance then I think your only options are:
1) Get a mains extension cord so you can place the power supply close to the Pi and use the shortest USB cable you can find (about 0.5m or so).
or
2) Cut off the connectors from both ends of the USB cable with about 0.1 m cable remaining on each.
Then solder the red and black wires to a normal lamp cord that will reach all the way from the power supply to the Pi.
Beware that you solder the red wire to the same color on both ends.

The new cable will not drop any voltage so you will be OK, even if it takes a bit more work than alternative 1.
I had to do this in January 2014 when I set up my first Pi in the living room feeding my TV from XBMC. All USB cables I had and bought were useless, they dropped about 0.5V from the PS to the Pi.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Thank you so much Bo Smile

I never thought about doing it by running an extension cable but that would work. My TV is on the wall and I have trunking going up the wall from the floor with the wires concealed inside to keep things neat. I could run a power extension cable up the trunking and have the single extension power socket behind the TV. Then as you say run a short micro USB cable from there.

I will go shopping tomorrow and pick up the things.

Cheers
Just an update to say that today I bought a 3 metre single power extension that I have placed behind the tv. In to that I have my 2.1amp USB power adaptor and in to that a short micro USB cable.

Now it is working perfect and do not get the low power multi coloured block in the top right of the screen. Thanks again Bo for the great advice Big Grin
You are welcome! Smile
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rp2 power problem0