Hard drive
Hi,

I need some recommendations. I need to add another hard drive to my setup and have no more sata ports available in my motherboard.

I think I have to options:

A) External drives USB3.0 - Don't know if movies will lag

B) Add expansion sata card to my motherboard (4 sata) - Not sure if this is recommendable or not

Thanks for the input
How much more room do u need?
(2015-05-16, 19:09)benitoemr81 Wrote: How much more room do u need?

5-6TB
If you think this is a trend that is likely to continue - it might be worth looking at building a second machine to act as your server? (You don't need a huge CPU, and can shift the noisy storage away from your main viewing location)
(2015-05-16, 19:19)noggin Wrote: If you think this is a trend that is likely to continue - it might be worth looking at building a second machine to act as your server? (You don't need a huge CPU, and can shift the noisy storage away from your main viewing location)

What exactly do I need to buy and how does my main PC talk to the second machine? sorry for stupid queston
(2015-05-16, 19:22)Edworld Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 19:19)noggin Wrote: If you think this is a trend that is likely to continue - it might be worth looking at building a second machine to act as your server? (You don't need a huge CPU, and can shift the noisy storage away from your main viewing location)

What exactly do I need to buy and how does my main PC talk to the second machine? sorry for stupid queston

You need a wired or wireless network....
Option B will postpone the inevitable, just make sure you can use all 4 ports simultaneously. (I picked up the Vantec 4 Chanel 6 Port 6gb/s which gives four extra internal sata ports) the two esata ports on the backbone are jumper-ed in and take away 2 ports from the internal.

USB3 with esata for an external will take a bit of the pressure off, just be sure the case can handle the internal drive format. I found a lot of cases that use a proprietary electronics and even if formatted (GTP) NTFS, are no longer viable as internal drives. This is critical for me, I need to be able to switch out drives and still be seen by a standard system. I went through a few before I found the 'Mediasonic USB3.0 esata 3.5" enclosure (listed as 4TB comparable).

BTW: USB2 should be enough throughput for movies. You might look at routers that support USB3 too
Get a NAS :-)
(2015-05-16, 19:18)Edworld Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 19:09)benitoemr81 Wrote: How much more room do u need?

5-6TB

Then get a USB 3.0 enclosure or one/dual docking station. I have a 3tb HGST hdd in a usb 3.0 lay-flat docking station with AC power adapter and 6TB+ Drive Support; Videos don't lag at all.
I'm planning to upgrade to something like this and attach it to my chromebox (used as a server only) or search for RAID array storage/enclosure with JBOD support as an option and off course usb 3.0, esata(optional), firewire(optional) ports.
All of the mentioned is way cheaper and powerfull than a NAS.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hard drive0