v14 The need of a HDMI-CEC adapter
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum so i'm sorry if i posted this question in the wrong board/section. I'm about to buy a Raspberry PI 2B and install Kodi on it. After reading some threads about using your TV remote control for controlling Kodi's I still dont really get it. The documentation on the site says:

Quote:CEC - Use your existing TV remote control if you have a CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) compatible television or AV-recidver supporting HDMI-CEC interface.

But how do I know if my TV is CEC compitable for Kodi? I have an LG 47LA6208 Smart TV. I've been reading threads about CEC and figured SimpLink is the application for CEC for LG TV's. With this application I can control my PS4 with my TV remote control. Is this the same principe if I wanted to control my Raspberry PI with Kodi on it?

The other thing i've heard is that you'll need a HDMI-CEC Control Adapter from PulseEight, for controlling Kodi. When is this needed? Or do I need it already?
To control raspberry pi using your TV remote all you need is hdmi lead conecting the pi to the TV and a CEC capable TV.
And yes LG call it simplink.

I have a LG TV and control mine using this method, if you have a Smart phone you can also download apps to control Kodi.
For Android I recommend Yatse.
You do not need any extra adapters for HDMI-CEC control. Its built into the RPi.

That Pulse Eight Adapter is mainly for Intel media boxes that have no inbuilt HDMI-CEC control hardware.

(2015-05-16, 19:26)invisable Wrote: To control raspberry pi using your TV remote all you need is hdmi lead conecting the pi to the TV and a CEC capable TV.

I have a LG TV and control mine using this method, if you have a Smart phone you can also download apps to control Kodi.

Alright, so no need for the adapter in this case? I can just control it with my TV remote?

But what about the adapter, when do people need it?
(2015-05-16, 19:57)wrxtasy Wrote: You do not need any extra adapters for HDMI-CEC control. Its built into the RPi.

That Pulse Eight Adapter is mainly for Intel media boxes that have no inbuilt HDMI-CEC control hardware.

I dont get this one, sorry, HDMI-CEC (or CEC) is build in your TV right? Not into your hardware? Or does it have to be both?
(2015-05-16, 20:21)Dreiba Wrote: I dont get this one, sorry, HDMI-CEC (or CEC) is build in your TV right? Not into your hardware? Or does it have to be both?

CEC is a low speed serial protocol between two HDMI devices. It needs to be supported at both ends.
(2015-05-16, 20:46)popcornmix Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 20:21)Dreiba Wrote: I dont get this one, sorry, HDMI-CEC (or CEC) is build in your TV right? Not into your hardware? Or does it have to be both?

CEC is a low speed serial protocol between two HDMI devices. It needs to be supported at both ends.

Ah okay, and the Raspberry Pi 2B supports that in any case?
Mine is yet to arrive, but it seems so - the original Pi did, at least:

http://kodi.wiki/view/CEC#Raspberry_Pi

... and a Google search throws up many references to the Pi2 and CEC (albeit many 'I'm not/I can't/why...' messages...).

You can read more about CEC (wiki) on the Wiki as well. I have a couple of the Pulse8 adapters on my ION boxes and they're fantastic...
I installed Openelec on my Raspberry Pi 2 and after I got it all setup plugged it into the TV in the living room, booted it up once it booted I used the remote that came with the TV and it controls the Raspberry Pi 2 it was all automatic. I assume its a CEC capable TV I was going to setup a wireless keyboard but we just use the remote.

Build it, plug it into the TV in question, boot it up, try the arrow buttons on the remote see if it responds.
Or read the tv manual, being aware of what each manufacturer calls their implementation of cec.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
all RaspberryPIs support CEC, and if your LG does support SimpLink you're good to go
Your TV must support CEC which is called different things by different manufacturers and must be baked into the TV's fireware and hardware. Most TV's support CEC. Then you need a HDMI cable that supports CEC as it carries the commands between the TV and connected device. Not all HDMI cables have CEC but most do. Lastly the connected device, or RPi in your case must also have CEC functionality baked into the hardware and fireware which your RPi does.

The problem may be that the TV does not provide all CEC features on all HDMI inputs of your TV, so it may seem like it does not work on some inputs. So you MUST read your TV manual to understand the equipment you own.

The other issue may be related to your expectation of what CEC can provide. Unlike buttons/IR codes which in some cases you can map to different functions within kodi, CEC commands can't be remaped and you are stuck with the commands sent by the TV.

In any case, easiest is to install OPENELEC on the RPi and then turn on CEC for the HDMI input used to connect the RPi to your TV, from yor TV menu.

Then play with your new toys a little & also read a couple of wiki's on HDMI and CEC, you can use google to find such wiki's. You'll learn more and likely answer your own questions that way. If you get stuck, then ask.
I'm a XBMC novice :)
(2015-05-16, 20:20)Dreiba Wrote:
(2015-05-16, 19:26)invisable Wrote: To control raspberry pi using your TV remote all you need is hdmi lead conecting the pi to the TV and a CEC capable TV.

Alright, so no need for the adapter in this case? I can just control it with my TV remote?

But what about the adapter, when do people need it?

The adaptor is used by people with Intel x86-based Kodi boxes - as CEC is not usually supported as standard on the HDMI output of Intel, AMD or nVidia GPUs.

ARM SoCs (System on Chips) appear to have better CEC support than x86 devices, probably because the ARM SoCs are often designed for consumer HDMI applications in set-top boxes. The Pi and Pi2 both support CEC (and support it very well) - so no need for a CEC adaptor with a Pi / Pi 2.

In fact the HDMI CEC support on the Pi / Pi 2 with Kodi is brilliant. If you have a Pi / Pi 2 connected to an AVR, and then the AVR connected to a TV you get CEC control FROM the TV TO the Pi / Pi 2 (so you can control Kodi on the Pi / Pi 2 from the TV remote) AND you get CEC control FROM the Pi / Pi 2 TO the AVR so that the Pi / Pi 2 can remotely control the AVR amplifier volume. Real bonus.

Personally I don't use CEC from the TV to the Pi / Pi 2 - as I prefer my Tivo Slide Pro (as it has Qwerty keys) and a nicer layout for me. However having the Pi 2 control the amp volume remotely is brilliant.
Hi, i discover that CEC doesn't work with OpenELEC-RPi2 beta 5.95.1.
Is it correct? Why?
I have LG 47" smart tv and until yesterday with 5.08 CEC works very well.
thanks for yours support.
Is it actually enabled in this Beta release ?
From memory some beta release had HDMI-CEC disabled.

Have a look in Kodi > Settings > System > Input Devices > Perpiherals > CEC Adapter > Enable

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The need of a HDMI-CEC adapter0