Help on installing openelec on chromebook c720
OK so i decided that i want a chromebook that can run Kodi.

what i hope i can achieve here is possibly run the chromeOS on the book and run kodi off a usb stick?

I installed ubuntu as dual boot to run kodi but I want it to be more streamlined and not have to enter commands to get it running.

i also know very little about programming codes, but i can follow directions... lol

any help wold greatly be appreciated...
the easiest way to set up OpenELEC on USB such that the ChromeBox/book can boot it is as follows:

- put ChromeBox/book in developer mode
- update legacy bios (if needed, shouldn't be for c720)
- enable booting to legacy bios
- create OpenELEC install media on USB #1 (min 512MB) on another PC
- boot OpenELEC install media on another PC
- install OpenELEC to USB #2 (min 4GB)
- install syslinux 5.10 bootloader on USB #2, since syslinux 6.0, which is installed by OpenELEC, has compatibility issues with the stock ChromeBox/book firmware

if I'm bored later I'll roll it all up as a new option for my ChromeBox EZ setup script.
Agh man your great thank you I look forward to it.
(2015-05-17, 06:09)Joedrt73 Wrote: Agh man your great thank you I look forward to it.

added. Just follow the instructions from my ChromeBox EZ Setup Script thread (link in my sig) and you'll be good to go
Matt - am I misremembering or if you are using USB 3.0 flash storage you need to booth this from a USB 2.0 port (as USB 3.0 booting wasn't supported by the legacy BIOS?) I usually use USB 3.0 media (as it is usually faster to flash) and remember having issues when I first got into this (I had a Chromebook before my Chromebox - in fact the Celeron 2955U in the Chromebook was a revelation when I ran Kodi on it for the first time!)
(2015-05-17, 12:38)noggin Wrote: Matt - am I misremembering or if you are using USB 3.0 flash storage you need to booth this from a USB 2.0 port (as USB 3.0 booting wasn't supported by the legacy BIOS?) I usually use USB 3.0 media (as it is usually faster to flash) and remember having issues when I first got into this (I had a Chromebook before my Chromebox - in fact the Celeron 2955U in the Chromebook was a revelation when I ran Kodi on it for the first time!)

I believe that was an issue with the stock legacy BIOS for the C720; however, it should not be an issue for the updated one which my script will install at the end of the OpenELEC USB creation.
(2015-05-17, 16:30)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-05-17, 12:38)noggin Wrote: Matt - am I misremembering or if you are using USB 3.0 flash storage you need to booth this from a USB 2.0 port (as USB 3.0 booting wasn't supported by the legacy BIOS?) I usually use USB 3.0 media (as it is usually faster to flash) and remember having issues when I first got into this (I had a Chromebook before my Chromebox - in fact the Celeron 2955U in the Chromebook was a revelation when I ran Kodi on it for the first time!)

I believe that was an issue with the stock legacy BIOS for the C720; however, it should not be an issue for the updated one which my script will install at the end of the OpenELEC USB creation.

Yes - I have never upgraded the OS in my C720. I dual boot between Chrome OS and Ubuntu, and occasionally triple boot to an OpenElec image from a USB stick when travelling. (C720 + HDMI cable + Hotel TV is a great Kodi platform when working away!)
(2015-05-17, 16:37)noggin Wrote: Yes - I have never upgraded the OS in my C720. I dual boot between Chrome OS and Ubuntu, and occasionally triple boot to an OpenElec image from a USB stick when travelling. (C720 + HDMI cable + Hotel TV is a great Kodi platform when working away!)

if you have a chance to test out booting a USB3 stick from the USB3 port with the updated SeaBIOS, I'd be interested to hear your results
How does this work or will it work for C710 chromebooks?
(2015-05-20, 05:27)Joedrt73 Wrote: How does this work or will it work for C710 chromebooks?

no, it will not, since the c710 doesn't have the legacy boot capability that the c720 does. The c710 can run most Linux-based OSes (including OpenELEC), but it involves flashing custom firmware and giving up the ability to run ChromeOS. See https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-f...-download/
i read some on his chromium page. so if i complete his custom firmware install do i follow your guide on installing openelec or?

I apologize for the questions. i do try to read before i post but i am missing some things..

by the way this script was super easy for chromebox i had it running in 20 minutes Smile
(2015-05-20, 06:11)Joedrt73 Wrote: i read some on his chromium page. so if i complete his custom firmware install do i follow your guide on installing openelec or?

I apologize for the questions. i do try to read before i post but i am missing some things..

by the way this script was super easy for chromebox i had it running in 20 minutes Smile

on your c710, use my script to create the OpenELEC install media (under standalone options), then use John's script to install his firmware. Reboot and install OpenELEC from USB. If that doesn't work, just follow the instructions on the OpenELEC wiki to download and create the install media (use the 64-bit disk image version). Some people have had issues with the onboard keyboard working with some of John's firmwares, so use an external one if necessary
got it. i will be back....
ok so coreboot firmware installed. no errors....booted 5.0.8 openelec i created with your guide, installed the os....rebooted and the mousepad doesn't work. i did read some things about it but i promise i cannot follow the instructs way over my head.

besides that i see no guides yet that descriibe the fix for C710 series...

if someone has a fix for it, i would appreciate it, but if not it's no big deal i have the keyboard to use....
can't help you there, it's most likely an issue of the touchpad driver not being in the mainline linux kernel, so if you wanted to integrate it into OpenELEC, you'd need to compile/build it yourself. using an external keyboard/trackpad or IR remote (or even smartphone remote) is probably easiest

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help on installing openelec on chromebook c7201