.ASS subtitle not work
Hi everybody,

I try to use .ASS subtitle with Kodi on Windows 8.1, but that don't work. No problem with .SRT subtitle files.

.ASS and .SSA subtitles are very important for see dual subtitles (2 .SRT in different language merged in one .ASS file : one language on the top, one language on the bottom. For me, it's useful because the mother tongue of my wife is different than mine). I think this situation is very common, with friends for example, so if Kodi can read well .ASS and .SSA subtiles, like VLC do it perfectly, I will be very happy !

I would like also than Kodi can read .ASS subtitles and stream the content to other device (LG TV for me). Actually, that don't work, only the video is stream well.

Someone have a solution for me, maybe ?
Kodi does support .ass subtitles so I don't know why it isn't working with you. I use mainly embedded subtitles but it is likely that if subtitles files are named correctly they will be picked up as well.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Kodi does support ASS, I use it all the time. It maybe you're using in the way that it doesn't support properly like streaming via DLNA to TV. Which of course if your TV doesn't support ASS subtitles it won't show. Because using it in this way your TV would be renderer not Kodi.

Kodi is designed to be player connect to TV via HDMI not DLNA Server.
Repeat after me:

KODI IS NOT A SERVER FOR YOUR SMART TV.

Kodi is designed to run on hardware that is directly connected to a TV. if you want a UPnP/DLNA server then you do not want Kodi.
(2015-05-17, 16:43)PH-SYM Wrote: Kodi does support .ass subtitles so I don't know why it isn't working with you. I use mainly embedded subtitles but it is likely that if subtitles files are named correctly they will be picked up as well.
Thank you for your help. But I use without any problem .SRT subtitle files with Kodi. Each subtitle have the same name than the video files, with the language in 2 chars before the extension : myvideo.mp4, myvideo.en.srt, myvideo.de.srt... But myvideo.en.ass : don't work with Windows 8.1 and the last version of Kodi. No subtitle show with .ASS file. With VLC, the same .ASS file is read without any problem.
(2015-05-18, 01:37)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi is designed to run on hardware that is directly connected to a TV. if you want a UPnP/DLNA server then you do not want Kodi.
Ok, if you say it. But my home network is made with ethernet cable, and I use Kodi like a DLNA server without any problem. I can see all my videos from my computer on my LG smart TV with Kodi, without HDMI cable. The only problem, it's .ASS subtitle. Even the LG TV don't read well .ASS files (all the texts are in the bottom, the tags 'top' and 'bottom' are ignored).

But my problem is not with my LG TV. No, what I just want it's Kodi can read well .ASS subtiles on my computer with Windows 8.1. The persons who respond to me give me advice. Thank you for that. But nobody tell me yet that he use external .ASS files with Kodi without any problem. It seem that other persons have the same problem without solution. For example : http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=188583
I use external ASS all the time (espcially asian tv series / ASS Softsub). As you should know using Kodi as DLNA server doesn't mean Kodi will render anything so whether Kodi support ASS is irrelevant. In this case The renderer is TV and what is show is what TV support and mostly all TV don't support ASS (Some would just ignore it or it just treat it as text subtitle like SRT)
Please don't misunderstand. I'm saying it will be much easier to use something that is designed for streaming to a TV.

Use this and be happy: http://www.ps3mediaserver.org

It works on more than PS3. That's just the name.
I'm using Universal Media Server which is forked from PS3 Media Server. Works well when I needed some transcoding from HEVC / Hi10p to my android box.
Finally, I find why Kodi can't read my .ASS subtitles, after long time for search and debugging.

Kodi don't show subtitle when there is ",00:" or ":00:" inside.

For example, if my .ASS subtile include the next line, Kodi will not show subtitle :
Code:
Dialogue: 0,0:00:44.21,0:00:46.33,Top,,0,0,0,,Subtitle text

If I replace ",00:" and ":00:", Kodi will show the subtitle :
Code:
Dialogue: 0,0:0:44.21,0:0:46.33,Top,,0000,0000,0000,,Subtitle text

Very strange, isn't it... ? A small update in Kodi will correct this problem !
That sounds more like an issue with your TV not reading the subtitle stream data that Kodi is sending.
(2015-06-19, 07:27)Ned Scott Wrote: That sounds more like an issue with your TV not reading the subtitle stream data that Kodi is sending.

Not nice comment, because you don't try before write it and you take me for a fool. My english is not good, because it's not my native language.

The problem happen with Windows 8.1, not on my TV. If that was only on my TV, of course, I will understand without need your comment that Kodi was not responsable.

1. I try to read .ASS subtitle with Kodi on Windows 8.1 : .ASS not read, but .SRT read.
2. Then, I buy a Raspberry Pi 2 and install on it OpenElec with last version of Kodi. Same problem than with Windows : .ASS subtitle not read, but .SRT read.

So, I spend time to search the problem. And I find it, like I explain in my previous post. Now, Kodi read all my .ASS files, with my Raspberry Pi 2 and with Windows 8.1.
(2015-06-19, 09:16)Alexis120 Wrote:
(2015-06-19, 07:27)Ned Scott Wrote: That sounds more like an issue with your TV not reading the subtitle stream data that Kodi is sending.

Not nice comment, because you don't try before write it and you take me for a fool. My english is not good, because it's not my native language.

The problem happen with Windows 8.1, not on my TV. If that was only on my TV, of course, I will understand without need your comment that Kodi was not responsable.

1. I try to read .ASS subtitle with Kodi on Windows 8.1 : .ASS not read, but .SRT read.
2. Then, I buy a Raspberry Pi 2 and install on it OpenElec with last version of Kodi. Same problem than with Windows : .ASS subtitle not read, but .SRT read.

So, I spend time to search the problem. And I find it, like I explain in my previous post. Now, Kodi read all my .ASS files, with my Raspberry Pi 2 and with Windows 8.1.

That escalated quickly.
I'm thinking you've more than likely read too much into Ned's post.

Not once did he say you were a fool, or made any inkling to the fact that your english written or otherwise was not good.

He did say that the issue may lie in what your TV set is able to receive and the information KODI sends, fail to see the aggravation purposed?
(2015-06-19, 10:49)k4sh1n Wrote: That escalated quickly.
I'm thinking you've more than likely read too much into Ned's post.

Not once did he say you were a fool, or made any inkling to the fact that your english written or otherwise was not good.

He did say that the issue may lie in what your TV set is able to receive and the information KODI sends, fail to see the aggravation purposed?

If anyone was offended by my post, sorry. But no need to speak more about it, please. This post is about .ASS files with Kodi, thank you.
After many tests, I had to create my own tool to generate dual subtitles compatible with Kodi. The .ASS parser in Kodi refuses to read the lines if they are not syntactically strictly compatible.

Dual subtitle (Top and Bottom) in Kodi :

I guess this tool can interest other people. So, I created a website for share it : http://www.dualsubtitles.com
Rainbow 
Thank you very much @Alexis120 ! I had the very same problem with my double subtitles ass files.
I use a php script to merge massively SRT files into ASS files, and I changed my script removing the trailing "00", and now it works.
If you're interested I can send you the script I use.
Are there any other syntax problem other than de "00" that I have to care for?
Thanks again. Bye.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
.ASS subtitle not work2