How I rate movies
I am basing this on a 0-5 scale. Just multiply by 2 when rating out of 10.

I use a .5 coefficent that scales as such:

Code:
Horrible - 0
Good, but not great - .5
Outstanding - 1.0

I rate each of those 5 aspects of the movie using the above scaling:

Character development (Do you KNOW the protaganist/antagonist?)
Plot (Was the story engaging and easy to follow without being predictable?)
Dialogue (Did the tone match the atmosphere?)
Cinematography/cinematics (Were cuts, still, CGI, and effects horrible or amazing?)
Enjoyment (Did you enjoy this movie?)

I'll use Guardians of the Galaxy as my first example. I gave this movie 4.5/5 stars (9 on Trakt and IMDB).
Here's how I rated each aspect:

Code:
Character development - .5
Plot - 1.0
Dialogue - 1.0
Cinematography/cinematics - 1.0
Enjoyment - 1.0

Before anyone asks, I gave character development a .5, because while I knew the GotG lore before the movie, others that were freshly introduced to them were still left guessing parts of their origin stories. Maybe if the movie had been 20min longer to develop the characters and their backgrounds, I could have given this movie a perfect score. Everything else was perfect IMO.

Now, let's take a movie like the original Leprechaun, which I gave 3/5 stars (6 on Trakt and IMDB).

Code:
Character development - .5
Plot - .5
Dialogue - .5
Cinematography/cinematics - .5
Enjoyment - 1.0

I still find this movie extremely funny and enjoyable after watching it plenty of times. However, even for its era, the atmosperic cuts cut have been a lot better. The gore was also poorly done for the most part. I gave character development .5, because I cannot name any of the characters of the top of my head, but I know exactly who they are and everything about their role when I see them.

So, that's it. This how I rate my movies. I see often on review sites like IMDB where people say things like "I couldn't watch it after the first 15 minutes" give movies 1 star ratings. That's extremely unfair to the cast and to the people that go to ratings sites to try to find a movie to watch.

Even if I'm not enjoying a movie, I will watch it to the end if I want to rate it. Otherwise, I just delete it from my library if it's deemed unwatchable. I've almost missed out on some great movies, because they first 30 minutes were boring, poorly executed, or both. We're supposed to watch movies with appreciative listening/viewing. That way, we can give movies fair ratings and everyone wins.

Syfy produces some of the worst movies known to man, but if you enjoy cheese like I enjoy cheese, Syfy also produces some of the most enjoyable movies known to man. They're outlandish and usually funny as hell. If you can get past the horrid stories, crap acting, and bad CGI, Syfy definitely has a few gems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How I rate movies0