UPNP server causes Kodi to lock my PC
Back in February, when there was a lot of Windows crashes with v14/14.1 I posted related to my experience with a hard Windows lock whenever I ran Kodi. Original post here: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1920134. The crashes were such as I would usually have to press the hard reset button on my PC.

It was determined that my issue was different from everyone else's, and v14.2 which fixed most people's problems did not fix mine. Debugging was difficult, because even though I provided a debug.log, since Windows was actually locking up, blue screening or rebooting, no useful information was contained in the logs or the dump files.

I revisited this issue over the weekend and determined that the crashes occur when I have the uPNP server enabled, and that if I disable it, Kodi runs smoothly. Unfortunately, my family depends on the uPNP server as we have other instances of XBMC installed on various PC's in the house, so disabling it is really not an option.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have reuploaded one of my older debug logs, taken from February, however the crash is exactly the same now as it was then, so I don't know how helpful it will be. http://xbmclogs.com/padplgmuv . If necessary I can get a current log, but I don't like intentionally causing my system to hard lock/blue screen.

I am currently running 14.2 on Windows 7 32 bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Since you're using your windows pc to be media server. It's better to just use windows share instead. You should look for centralized database or external NFO instead of UPNP server.

I prefer the latter but in general centralized mysql database would be sufficient for your usage.
The centralized mysql database is not easy to set up. And the UPNP works perfectly with Frodo 12.3.

Also, one of the devices that connects to it is an Android tablet. So, getting the UPNP to not cause my PC to lock up is imperative.
(2015-05-18, 17:46)relayer35 Wrote: The centralized mysql database is not easy to set up. And the UPNP works perfectly with Frodo 12.3.

Also, one of the devices that connects to it is an Android tablet. So, getting the UPNP to not cause my PC to lock up is imperative.

Centralized MySQL DB is not that hard to setup, I've used it for years before switched to external NFO which is even easier to setup. UPNP is inferior in term of performance , stability and features (especially external subtitles) and in your case seem to be the culprit for bluescreen. And of course there is Kodi for android so it's not that important to use UPNP at all. I've 4-5 android device in my house and all of it run Kodi for Android or SPMC with ease.
(2015-05-18, 21:16)oldpoem Wrote:
(2015-05-18, 17:46)relayer35 Wrote: The centralized mysql database is not easy to set up. And the UPNP works perfectly with Frodo 12.3.

Centralized MySQL DB is not that hard to setup, I've used it for years before switched to external NFO which is even easier to setup. UPNP is inferior in term of performance , stability and features (especially external subtitles) and in your case seem to be the culprit for bluescreen. And of course there is Kodi for android so it's not that important to use UPNP at all. I've 4-5 android device in my house and all of it run Kodi for Android or SPMC with ease.

I appreciate the suggestion, I've tried to set it up the MySQL in the past, and could not get it to work. The uPnP has worked great for my family using XBMC 12.3, but 14.2 is causing my computer crash. If you have any suggestions on getting uPnP not to crash, I'd love to hear it, but I am not going to be setting up a centralized MySQL database anytime soon. There are many reasons why the MySQL isn't for me, most of which is my media is spread upon different computer and NAS drives, running different platforms and the biggest headache was getting all the file access correct, for every different device. With uPnP, on Frodo it just worked.

The fact that uPnP is included with Kodi, means that it should work, and it shouldn't crash my PC. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.
(2015-05-19, 01:08)relayer35 Wrote: The fact that uPnP is included with Kodi, means that it should work, and it shouldn't crash my PC. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation.

Should is the keyword here. But in real life it could be very different. As you might experienced it 1st hand. I also had bad UPNP problem in the past so I ditched it long time ago. I had lot of different device across the house myself too. Windows, Linux, Android, iOS all run Kodi fine. without the need of UPNP server.

Right now I'm using external NFO. Build library on one device and export database as separated NFO & Art for every media. All other devices would just do a scan and it would picked up same library fine without doing internet scraping again. Also it would be independent as well so you could config each device to its own library (excluded some path etc.) so it would fit other family members interest.

So if you're really want to use UPNP and fixed this function. I'd say keep on asking maybe someone else can help you. But don't hold your breath since I read some times ago that UPNP part had only 1 or 2 dev worked on it.
What is the blue screen error message?

You may be required to disable to auto-restart feature.
Nav to computer>system properties>advanced system settings>startup and recovery>settings>automatically restart (uncheck box and ok)
(2015-05-19, 12:49)k4sh1n Wrote: What is the blue screen error message?

You may be required to disable to auto-restart feature.
Nav to computer>system properties>advanced system settings>startup and recovery>settings>automatically restart (uncheck box and ok)

IRQL_GT_ZERO_AT_SYSTEM_SERVICE

STOP: 0x0000004A (0x832753CA, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Sometimes it just hard locks instead of a blue screen, requiring me to physically press the reset button.
Looks like Interrupt Request Level difficulty loading driver back to user mode.
Can you update the video card driver via a clean install
Disable your antivirus and try again
Just updated the video card driver with a clean install recently.

I'm not too comfortable running the PC without any antivirus. I'm currently using Microsoft Security Essentials. I see that this error happens with BitDefender often, but I have never used that program in my life.
Here's an update:

I think I resolved the problem, by installing this Microsoft patch:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2664888

The description of this hotfix is "Computer stops responding when you run an application that uses the Windows Filtering Platform API in Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, or Windows Vista". I guess the uPNP functionality in Kodi uses a Windows Filtering Platform.

Found this as a solution for the BitDefender problems, but it appears to work for this too! Currently been playing for 23 minutes straight without a crash. I couldn't even get 5 minutes with uPNP enabled before this. Also as part of this test, I'm playing a video on another XBMC instance using uPNP, and that is working as well. So far so good.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPNP server causes Kodi to lock my PC0