v14 [SOLVED] Keep getting CAESinkWASAPI errors in log but don't know why
Hi chaps,

This might actually be a non-issue, but I have been wondering about this since I have set up my HTPC several months ago.

I'm running the following setup:
Intel NUC D54250WYK (Win 8.1, Kodi 14.2) --(HDMI)--> Onkyo TX-NR636 (7.2 AVR) --(HDMI)--> Panasonic TX-P50-GW20 Plasma TV
but with a 5.1 speaker configuration.

Have been following all the guides on which drivers to install, to deinstall (Realtek), how to configure windows and Kodi settings properly (WASAPI, passthrough), etc.

Still Opensink does not seem to initialize correctly according to the logs.
IsFormatSupported fails (AUDCLNT_E_UNSUPPORTED_FORMAT) and Opensink initializes with a sample rate of 44.1kHz, sample format: AE_FMT_S24NE4MSB (no clue what that means), channel count 2 and channel layout FL, FR, which looks to a naive soul like mine pretty much like a 2.0 configuration (probably wrong).

However, putting my Onkyo into direct mode an playing sample files (DD, DD+, DTS HD, True HD) with different formats, the Onkyo reliably shows the correct format in it's display and all my 5.1 speakers seem to work correctly too.

Full debug log here...

Can you guys explain what is going on here?

Cheers,

M4tt0
@jjd-uk @fritsch

You are probably working on getting Isengard out now, but any idea / interpretation on the above?

Best,

M4tt0
From the log I don't really see what it wants to open. Seems like on first start it transitions from the default device to your real device. Can you reproduce that with a sample?

What do you expect? Which channels don't work?

I'd like to see that log with actual sample playing.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Anything shown in the log starting AE_FMT_S is a PCM format, seems to me like to tries to open a PCM format finds it to be not compatible so switches to another format which it then successfully initialises, so don't really see what the problem is.
Thanks both for looking into this!

I only started exploring when I have seen the errors in the log file. I then thought my driver / audio settings were wrong, so I went through the wiki and trouble shooting guide. Using Directsound the errors go away, but as soon as I choose WASAPI with passthrough activated the error appears again, even when all capable formats are deactivated, so I started wondering.

Here the debog log with test files of various formats (you can identify from the file names in the log)...

From the information you have given and looking into the log above it seems everything is always translated into PCM signals, which might also explain that audio always takes some seconds to pick up when I start a video. But again, not sure...

Thanks again and best regards,

M4tt0
Video startup is something different. On start audio and video needs to sync. In older versions, the audio just changed the global clock and made video "slowly" stutter unti sync was there again. With v15 audio is muted - when sync is up and running. Audio is resumed.

Back to the original error. I only see it happen, when it switches to 44.1 khz. Can you play an mp3? and post the log, too? - The message is probably more scary than anything else. Wasapi probes the format to use, in order to find a valid output sample rate / format combination.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
that error is history for v15 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/6433...6eaf8d0de3
You guys are amazing! :-)

OK, so I can safely "ignore" the error because drivers and settings are actually fine and the system is working correctly?
As said before, it never was an error. Now you will only find it in Debug Log.
Yep from what FernetMenta just posted it can be safely ignored as it's logging an "incorrect error" and will no longer appear in the logs for current v15 builds.
OK, cheers, guys. Marked as solved...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[SOLVED] Keep getting CAESinkWASAPI errors in log but don't know why0