Resolution problem of Full HD back to HD.
Bug 
Hi

I'm using Kodi 14.2 in Full HD.
When I see a movie that has Full HD with different resolution than my tv it changes the resolution as needed (to Full HD).
The problem occurs when I go out of Kodi when it's still working, for example making Kodi windowed or pressing "Alt+Tab" then the resolution will go back to HD. After returning to Kodi, the resolution will not correct itself back to Full HD.

Has anyone been able to reproduce this?

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
You didn't include a debug log, so your issue is unclear.

Let's say with a 16:9 HD TV or Monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 also called 1080p (HD can also be 720p) and you open Kodi on that screen. You play a movie at Full Screen, then using the keyboard \ key you jump into windowed mode, hitting the \ slash key again should toggle between windowed and full screen modes. Is this correct? Is this not correct while playing a movie?

Then we have the issue of Zoom or aspect amount. Please check your base settings in the graphic card, also check Kodi settings in the system video output, and lastly look at your movie video settings.Just to be clear there is Alt+Tab which is a windows function to switch windows, Win+P again a windows function for screen swaps and special keyboard functions with and inside Kodi.

I suspect that at one point you lose the signal to the TV and at that point all your configured gfx data is lost as the TV now reverts to a default resolution. Check this out. 4.1 HDMI pin 19 trick Displays (wiki) part of the HDCP protection on your TV, if you feel there is something else in play, continue with this thread.
(2015-05-20, 03:40)PatK Wrote: You didn't include a debug log, so your issue is unclear.

Let's say with a 16:9 HD TV or Monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 also called 1080p (HD can also be 720p) and you open Kodi on that screen. You play a movie at Full Screen, then using the keyboard \ key you jump into windowed mode, hitting the \ slash key again should toggle between windowed and full screen modes. Is this correct? Is this not correct while playing a movie?

Then we have the issue of Zoom or aspect amount. Please check your base settings in the graphic card, also check Kodi settings in the system video output, and lastly look at your movie video settings.Just to be clear there is Alt+Tab which is a windows function to switch windows, Win+P again a windows function for screen swaps and special keyboard functions with and inside Kodi.

I suspect that at one point you lose the signal to the TV and at that point all your configured gfx data is lost as the TV now reverts to a default resolution. Check this out. 4.1 HDMI pin 19 trick Displays (wiki) part of the HDCP protection on your TV, if you feel there is something else in play, continue with this thread.

Thanks for the reply.
I have only the TV connected to the computer with the VGA connection (I prefer the VGA from the HDMI).
When I clicked win-p I saw "computer only.
I have used 2 movies 1 (chronicles) in Full HD, and the other in HD.

Thought its a little problem.
I hope this bin will help.

Video Kodi output in HD
http://pastebin.com/CT6f20rq

Video Kodi output in Full HD
http://pastebin.com/UwJpuFiq

P.S.
Maybe this will also help: In windows I'm always using HD "True Color" (32Bit) in 59Hz instead of 60Hz.
If I use the 60Hz it will not show me windows on all of the TV screen (There will be black lines at the top and the bottom of the screen).
Looks like this may be a limitation of your graphic card. (If you have HDMI output on your gfx card, it might solve the issue.). Let's define HD full screen again.... that's 1920 x 1080 pixels (or 720p which is 1280 x 720 pixels) . Full HD would be that resolution.... or are you confusing a zoom aspect (with no black lines top & bottom) as Full HD, what I'm trying to understand is if this is an aspect or Windowed/Full Screen issue. Again, what does the Slash key on the keyboard do for you?

So you have your windows desktop set for 1280x720 pixels (usually RGB modes are 1024 x 768 pixels) and windowed mode gives you a drag bar with resize gadgets, while full screen gives you a windscreen display with no borders and should max out the configured screen size (at this point with the video playing you can hit the OSD display gadget and check the screen res to make sure it's sized correctly).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CgrMsjGk7k
Ok, again.

I just want to see a movie at its default resolution, 720p, 1080p, etc.
Do I need to do something special in Kody for that to work each time or do a one time thing?

I have tried to see a Full HD ( FHD-1080p) movie when windows and Kodi was at 720p but it did not change to FHD.
Also about your question, when clicking the "\" it makes Kodi in window mode.
Sorry for the delay in responding, I guess I didn't see back more than a day in messages. Yes so if you expand your windowed mode to the full screen size and your screen size is set for 1280x720 pixels, you would have proper aspect at 16:9, the slash should just get rid of the windows frame? The movie/video will be sized to fit, regardless of 1080p or 720p, and if your panel will do 1920 x1080 you should be able to set the player for that resolution although the interface is most likely 720p

Anychance you can send along a screen grab of the problem you're having?
(2015-05-26, 23:35)PatK Wrote: Sorry for the delay in responding, I guess I didn't see back more than a day in messages. Yes so if you expand your windowed mode to the full screen size and your screen size is set for 1280x720 pixels, you would have proper aspect at 16:9, the slash should just get rid of the windows frame? The movie/video will be sized to fit, regardless of 1080p or 720p, and if your panel will do 1920 x1080 you should be able to set the player for that resolution although the interface is most likely 720p

Anychance you can send along a screen grab of the problem you're having?

"I guess I didn't see back more than a day in messages."
Maybe it's because of the subscription needed on every reply we make.

"the slash should just get rid of the windows frame?"
Yes.

OK now I think I can focus the problem bit more after I have tried it again.
The problem occurs just in 720p.
Means: When I use 1080p in win7 then open Kodi (also in 1080p) it will stay in 1080p even if I watch a movie in 720p (maybe better so it will not change resolution every time I stop the movie or something like that).

BUT... When I use 720p in win7 then open Kodi in 1080p, then interact with it a bit, going in and out of Kodi (windowed mode), out of the movie (pause) and back to the menu of Kodi (all these things will make it go back and forth from 1080p to 720p and back again) then Kodi will forget the settings of 1080p and go back to 720p untill I go back to Kodi settings and set back the resolution back to 1080p.

Tell me if you need me to make a log file again.

I hope there is a fix for that or something like that.
Sorry, I guess I'm just not seeing your issue... if you have a screen grab, that would be nice.

I'll describe what happens on my end, and perhaps that will give you a bit of understanding.

If I launch Kodi full screen on my desktop monitor which has a resolution of 1920 x 1200p and check my settings>system>video output , Kodi will say Full Screen #1 1920 x 1200p but as I'm mentioned the Kodi skin interface is only 1280 x 720p, but the player within Kodi will sniff the media and play content at the aspect set within the media if your panel supports it, otherwise Kodi with built in algorithms will extrapolate and deliver best screen automatically. Various aspects while watching a video can be forced into different scaling with the keyboard 'Z' key, and further video calibration/scaling can be set-up within the video itself with the calibration tool.

if I launch Kodi Full screen on my TV which has a resolution of 1900 x 1080p and check my settings>system>video output , Kodi will say Full Screen #2 1920 x 10800p and playing any media will assume the full screen corner to corner and if it so happens it's 720p content then it's going to be slightly lower resolution, but still corner to corner full.

On exit of a movie, the Kodi interface resumes it's full screen mode even though it's an extrapolated 720p interface. On exit of Kodi I end up with the desktop sized according to the display I'm using.

In all of these actions how do we differ? Is you display NOT full screen, but a small rectangle in one corner? Or is your Desktop resized smaller? Your issue is starting to appera to involve a multi-tasking issue, and that would be hardware dependant.
(2015-05-31, 16:19)PatK Wrote: Sorry, I guess I'm just not seeing your issue... if you have a screen grab, that would be nice.
Quote:I don't know what to grab. You mean this?
http://postimg.org/image/y0e2gb3lp/
Kodi is still in 1280 x 720p when the movie is 1920 x 1080p

I'll describe what happens on my end, and perhaps that will give you a bit of understanding.

If I launch Kodi full screen on my desktop monitor which has a resolution of 1920 x 1200p and check my settings>system>video output , Kodi will say Full Screen #1 1920 x 1200p but as I'm mentioned the Kodi skin interface is only 1280 x 720p, but the player within Kodi will sniff the media and play content at the aspect set within the media if your panel supports it, otherwise Kodi with built in algorithms will extrapolate and deliver best screen automatically. Various aspects while watching a video can be forced into different scaling with the keyboard 'Z' key, and further video calibration/scaling can be set-up within the video itself with the calibration tool.
Quote:I'm not talking about this if this is what you mean. I don't need to change the "z" options (I'm always using "Normal"). Also I don't mind if Kodi OSD is in 720p or 1080p. I just need Kodi to change the resolution of the TV (computer) to the same as the movie.

if I launch Kodi Full screen on my TV which has a resolution of 1900 x 1080p and check my settings>system>video output , Kodi will say Full Screen #2 1920 x 10800p and playing any media will assume the full screen corner to corner and if it so happens it's 720p content then it's going to be slightly lower resolution, but still corner to corner full.
Quote:In that menu I have just 1 option of "Full screen" => "Full screen #1 1280 x 720p".
What you have done also happens to me, but only when my computer is in 1080p, when my computer is in 720p it stays in 720p all the time, no matter what the resolution of the movies is.

On exit of a movie, the Kodi interface resumes it's full screen mode even though it's an extrapolated 720p interface. On exit of Kodi I end up with the desktop sized according to the display I'm using.
Quote:So it happens to you only in 1920 x 1080p or also in 1280 x 720p?
Try to make your resolution 720p and then open Kodi and play some with it, see a movie in 1080p in 720p, use "\" to make Kodi windowed back and forth, and tell me if Kodi still changes the resolution every time to the right resolution the movie has.

To me it's doing its job (Changing to any resolution back and forth) only when my computer is in 1920 x 1080p. When my computer is in 1280 x 720p Kodi always goes back to "Full screen #1 1280 x 720p" and never stays in "Full screen #1 1920 x 1080p".

In all of these actions how do we differ? Is you display NOT full screen, but a small rectangle in one corner? Or is your Desktop resized smaller?
Quote:The display is always in full screen but not in the right resolution (display of 720p for movies in 720p and display of 1080p for movies in 1080p).

Your issue is starting to appera to involve a multi-tasking issue, and that would be hardware dependant.
Quote:Don't know what you mean or how to find out so I don't have an answer for that.
Communication is important, and it's clear that I'm unclear of the issue. If your screen is corner to corner full of image and you have a desktop set for 720p (why not set it for 1080p?). I note your screen grab is just the OSD and telling me that you have a 1.5x zoom on and that the setting is 1920 x 1040 (non standard). You want to set-up your desktop to 1080p EXACTLY launch Kodi full screen mode and enter the settings>system>video output and ensure you have "Full screen #1 1920 x 1080p", if your panel will not do this or your video card will not handle it.... then that is your hardware issue. Play a movie, if a 16:9 aspect doesn't fill the screen corner to corner, enter the video OSD with the movie playing an adjust accordingly with the video calibration tool.

If the movie you play is 720p, it will still be corner to corner image and scaled up to fit. A 1080p movie should play corner to corner and just fit (oversccan might have to be tweaked in your gfx card or TV). I don't know how you are determining that a 720p movie is 720p and a 1080p movie is really 1080p but clearly from the OSD image you supplied there are issues with non standard sizing, so adjust accordingly. It's possible that your non-standard set-up is confusing the software/hardware and it defaults to lower res.
(2015-06-03, 16:19)PatK Wrote: Communication is important, and it's clear that I'm unclear of the issue. If your screen is corner to corner full of image and you have a desktop set for 720p (why not set it for 1080p?).
Quote:Because it's too small for the eyes when I'm using 1080p
I note your screen grab is just the OSD and telling me that you have a 1.5x zoom on and that the setting is 1920 x 1040 (non standard).
Quote:My bad. Was meant to be Normal
You want to set-up your desktop to 1080p EXACTLY launch Kodi full screen mode and enter the settings>system>video output and ensure you have "Full screen #1 1920 x 1080p", if your panel will not do this or your video card will not handle it....
Quote:It does but will not save the settings after i go back and forth from Kodi to desktop
then that is your hardware issue. Play a movie, if a 16:9 aspect doesn't fill the screen corner to corner, enter the video OSD with the movie playing an adjust accordingly with the video calibration tool.
Quote:No issue with corners. Just the 1080p of Kodi instead of 720p in general

If the movie you play is 720p, it will still be corner to corner image and scaled up to fit. A 1080p movie should play corner to corner and just fit (oversccan might have to be tweaked in your gfx card or TV). I don't know how you are determining that a 720p movie is 720p and a 1080p movie is really 1080p
Quote:I mean in general (not all movies are exactly. Some are with black stripes still in Normal mode)
but clearly from the OSD image you supplied there are issues with non standard sizing, so adjust accordingly
Quote:Again my bad, changed to Normal
. It's possible that your non-standard set-up is confusing the software/hardware and it defaults to lower res.
Quote:Because it's too small for the eyes when I'm using 1080p

OK, this part is telling... I do understand your too 'small', so this is what I want you to do... set the desktop for full 1920 x 1080, go into Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display and set the easier to read to 150% or if needed 200% click on the desktop, hit right mouse button and pick view = large icons. Now you'll have an easy to read system with higher res.... and when Kodi runs you'll get your HD resolution anytime.

enjoy.
I know that trick Smile Thanks.
I will try to use it for a while and see if it will work for me.

So in other words you telling me that the only way to make Kodi show 1080p and 720p is just when the desktop is in 1080p?
The default is the current screen, set-up by the graphic card drivers (Kodi doesn't have hardware drivers) it just manipulates what is set-up in your driver. Overriding the desktop res seems to be possible and as you've noted it works until you switch into windowed mode and back again (why it doesn't keep the resolution is beyond me). What you're doing is slightly out of the box, most of the devs would say 'set-up for the max res on your TV' and Kodi follows along, it's not meant to be a milt-tasking player. Looking back at all the previous messages and how long it's taken to get this far, I have a sneaking suspicion there might still be a fix.
(2015-06-08, 06:02)PatK Wrote: The default is the current screen, set-up by the graphic card drivers (Kodi doesn't have hardware drivers) it just manipulates what is set-up in your driver. Overriding the desktop res seems to be possible and as you've noted it works until you switch into windowed mode and back again (why it doesn't keep the resolution is beyond me). What you're doing is slightly out of the box, most of the devs would say 'set-up for the max res on your TV' and Kodi follows along, it's not meant to be a milt-tasking player. Looking back at all the previous messages and how long it's taken to get this far, I have a sneaking suspicion there might still be a fix.
Quote:I hope so and have a feeling you are right. By the way what is "milt-tasking"? I know multitasking.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution problem of Full HD back to HD.0