How do I get "real" channel numbers for EPG
Hello, I'm switching back ends from WMC to MythTV. I'm using Raspberry Pi as front end with Myth PVR addon with HDHomerun as tuner and Schedules Direct for guide data. How do I get the "real" channel numbers to show in the Channels and EPG listings? Right now I just have ordinal position numbers like 1, 2, 3... What I want is 2-1, 2-2, 8-1 etc. I get the call signs for a bunch of stations, but not all and I'm used to seeing the OTA channel numbers from using the WMC addon instead of ordinal positions. Is there a way to make that happen? I don't see any way to configure that thru the addon configuration. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I'm also running OpenELEC nightly on the RPi. Running latest MythTV (Mythbuntu) release with all updates applied.
Experience: It's what you get when you were expecting something else.
The channel ordering is not done in mythtv pvr addon.

It is done in System>Settings>TV>General

Note Settings Level must be set to Advanced or Expert to see the option "Use channel numbers from backend"

Mike
Okay, I changed it and had to reboot, but that fixed it. That's weird because the WMC PVR addon was showing the numbers the way I wanted without having that option checked. Must be the WMC addon doing it. Thanks.
Channel numbers are pretty meaningless in a PVR system.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-20, 07:38)nickr Wrote: Channel numbers are pretty meaningless in a PVR system.
I don't think that is true. From my 10+ years developing PVR software, I find most users are used to channels being on specific channel numbers, and they want to access them through those channels (ie, typing those channel numbers in live tv, having those numbers shown in the TV Guide etc). I think that's entirely reasonable.

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion though...
I suppose my view tends to be from the point of view of someone who has adopted the purer PVR method of of use. "Record what you want to watch, watch it when you have time".

No live tv, no channel surfing.

I know I want to record "Grand Designs" - I care somewhat about what channel it is on, but I don't give a jot about what arbitrary number that channel is allocated by my broadcaster.

For the LiveTV watchers, and the surfers, I take your point.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
We watch some LiveTV and are used to the channel numbers. It also helps me find the channels that I want to use to record the programs we like. I'm migrating from WMC to MythTV and I have to reestablish the programming schedule that I had with WMC. Call Signs are useless to me.
You don't even to know what channel a show is on to record it in mythtv. Sometimes shows change channels. "Record at any time on any channel" is my most common recording rule. Then if Channel X outbids Channel Y for this season of Blockbuster B, I don't need ot change anything.
(2015-05-20, 13:20)afremont Wrote: We watch some LiveTV and are used to the channel numbers. It also helps me find the channels that I want to use to record the programs we like. I'm migrating from WMC to MythTV and I have to reestablish the programming schedule that I had with WMC. Call Signs are useless to me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Kodi will set it's own channel numbers and I don't think there is much you can do about it. The best you can do is have each client use the channel numbers from the backend in the Live TV settings and learn a new sequence. You'll get used to the new numbers though. It'll just be an adjustment.
It's working fine. Just telling it to use the backend numbers fixed it. It now works the way I'm used to seeing it so no problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do I get "real" channel numbers for EPG0