What is the best utility out there for auto renaming/organising video files?
Hello,

I was wondering whether you guys might be able to offer some advice on what the best video renaming programs there are out there - there seem to be loads!

At the moment, I am recording everything via Argus TV, into a single "Recordings" folder in the following format:

•Seriesname\Season - Episode - Seriesname - Episodename - Airdate - Airtime

Along with each video file is the accompaying XML file, which contains the EPG details - as I use Webgrabplus and TVGuide.co.uk, the EPG details are pretty complete.

I was hoping to find a utility to watch the "Recordings" folder and automatically do the following:

1.Automatically work out whether a recording is a "movie" or a "TV program" and move bot the video and XNL file into separate folders named either "movies" or "TV programs".
2.Rename both the video and XML file in the following format:

•Seriesname (Productiondate)\Season - Episode - Seriesname (Productiondate) - Episodename

utilising no only the file name itself, for identification, but also the XML file.

Ultimately, I am after the best possible way of ensuring that all of my recordings are picked up and scraped accurately.

Ay suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
(2015-05-19, 14:17)elsmandino Wrote: Hello,

I was wondering whether you guys might be able to offer some advice on what the best video renaming programs there are out there - there seem to be loads!

At the moment, I am recording everything via Argus TV, into a single "Recordings" folder in the following format:

•Seriesname\Season - Episode - Seriesname - Episodename - Airdate - Airtime

Along with each video file is the accompaying XML file, which contains the EPG details - as I use Webgrabplus and TVGuide.co.uk, the EPG details are pretty complete.

I was hoping to find a utility to watch the "Recordings" folder and automatically do the following:

1.Automatically work out whether a recording is a "movie" or a "TV program" and move bot the video and XNL file into separate folders named either "movies" or "TV programs".
2.Rename both the video and XML file in the following format:

•Seriesname (Productiondate)\Season - Episode - Seriesname (Productiondate) - Episodename

utilising no only the file name itself, for identification, but also the XML file.

Ultimately, I am after the best possible way of ensuring that all of my recordings are picked up and scraped accurately.

Ay suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I personally find Media Center Master to be the fastest and most user friendly organizer out there. Others prefer to Emby or TheRenamer, but MCM is my go-to.
Don't know how clever Argus TV is, but you'll simplify your quest if you get Argus TV to put Films in to Recordings\Films\ and TV into Recordings\TV\

That then lets you concentrate on different scrapers for TV and Films as I expect there will different "best" options for both.

I would remind you to think carefully about the length of your filenames if you are trying to pack all that information in. Remember there is a limit on what Windows can handle.

Personally I don't think you can beat the Human Brain for sorting this stuff out. I move my recordings by hand allowing me to tweak file and folder names as I do so. That way I don't even need NFO files and just use the standard KODI scrapers.
My main reason for the above is to try and streamline my system a bit.

I use a combination of both Argus TV and Emby (Emby keeping an eye on the Argus Recordings folder and automatically scraping) to watch recordings back with the two available Kodi add-ons.

My problem is watching TV and movies back using the two different add-ons independently - things like resume and watched status won't transfer accross.

I was hoping to reach the point where I essentially don't need the Argus plugin (other than for live TV on rare occassions) and watch everything solely back vie the Emby plugin.

The only problem seems to be that the scraping results are a bit hit and miss - I completely agree that personally updating the results is the best option but it is going to get a bit laborious in the long run. I was rather hoping that the abilty to scan the XML fils as part of the scrape would make the process bulletproof.

Thanks very much for the pointer about the separate folder for TV and Movies - easy to set in Argus, everytime a recording is made, and shall help simplify things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best utility out there for auto renaming/organising video files?0