3D-Bluray lossless: which format for KODI?
Hello,

I own several 3D-Bluray movies and now I want to archive these on my NAS.

Making a backup to .iso or BD-directory is useless because KODI is not able to play these format in 3D.

Which format is the right one to choose/use without recoding? I don't want lossy SBS/OU format but the full quality with 3D-blurays.

Thanks a lot for your help.
cU

xbmc4me
Just use makemkv to remux them into mkv's with the MVC info included, openelec test builds can play them already and OSMC will when they start with test builds.
Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I tried with makemkv already but without luck. Will try again.

What exactly do you mean with "MVC info included"? Maybe this is/was my fault using makemkv.
cU

xbmc4me
At the screen where you are selecting what titles you want to convert to mkv expand the main one and check off to include the Mpeg4-MVC-3D track which is not selected by default along with the HD-Audio track if you wanted which is also not selected by default.

Also I think for Kodi to know about it you have to tag it in the filename as 3D.SBS.
This was exactly what I did but playing the video on my 3D-beamer resulted in 2D-video.

But 3D.SBS is different to lossless 3D-BR produced by makemkv?
cU

xbmc4me
That is just part of the filename so Kodi recognizes it as 3D also note it is 3D.SBS not 3D.Half-SBS. That doesn't change the video. I personally think it would look nicer if Kodi added another tag like 3D.MVC for these ones.

Also when playing it did you open the OSD and make sure it was playing it in 3D? I don't run OE other then once for two hours just to test this MVC playback which worked but I forget if I had to force it into 3D mode or if it was automatic.

Also you did remember to install one of the Milhouse test builds since the regular version doesn't have the feature yet.
So the actual kodi version from openelec is missing this feature (milhouse test build?)?
cU

xbmc4me
Yes the version released in the normal OE install doesn't have this feature you have to manually install a test build.
I'll try. Thanks a lot for the hint.
cU

xbmc4me
1) Convert the 3D bluray to MKV with makeMKV and include the MVC part
2) add ".3d.sbs." flag to the filename
3) use a Milhouse nightly or any other custom build that includes the newclock4 branch by popcornmix
4) enable the MVC support in settings -> video -> acceleration
5) enjoy

Please note that there is work in progress to add support for native 3D blurays, but it's nowhere finished yet.
@da-anda

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any tool (mkvtoolnix can't) where I can check the resulting mkv from makemkv if video is included in 3D (lossless)?
Or how can I be shure my resulting mkv is 3D at all?
cU

xbmc4me
(2015-05-20, 10:26)da-anda Wrote: Please note that there is work in progress to add support for native 3D blurays, but it's nowhere finished yet.
Hope it's sooner than that. But, in any case, we'll take it whenever available.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
you can follow this thread, but it's dev talk only http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=226440
Thanks for the link. But unfortunately this "dev talk" is like chinese for me.

I'll give openelec test build a chance at the weekend.
cU

xbmc4me
mediainfo will tell you whether it detects a 3d stream in your mkv. However make sure it is a relatively recent mediainfo.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3D-Bluray lossless: which format for KODI?1