What are the arguments against dropping mouse support in Kodi?
Okay. Smile

My HTPC is not only for Kodi. Kodi is only a movie player for me with a nice movie selection UI. I also use a other apps, browser, youtube, foobar for music playback, some gaming and so on. It is actually a regular PC tailored for the living room. I need to have a mouse and sometimes a keyboard. I do not think controlling Kodi with a mouse is awkward as long as PVR is not needed. Also one less remote control on the table (I tried universal remotes, those are awful or insanely expensive in my opinion).
A mouse is faster on the desktop especially in maintenance mode or doing other things with the PC, Almost all functions can be done with my MK700 wireless mouse (20 feet I also own a K360 and without the back button my argument falls apart), in Kodi mode, I'm only handling the mouse which has programmable functional buttons exclusively set-up for Kodi, so back, forward, \ slash, scroll, left, right are a finger away. Not all skins are the same when it comes to mouse use, some are MUCH better and I use the onscreen keybaord often. I do have a remote, just never use it, I guess I'm not a natural couch surfer, I must have been born with a mouse hand twitch.

I bought a back-up of this wireless keybaord mouse combination, so I have $ invested Smile
(2015-05-20, 16:55)tripkip Wrote: Disabling the mouse in Kodi is always the first thing I do after a new installation.
I've always wondered which use cases there are where people actually prefer using a mouse.
I can imagine things would be easier for skinners and certain skins would look better if there was no mouse support in Kodi.

So my question to those that use a mouse in Kodi - why? Blush

I have my main PC attached to my TV. I jump in and out of kodi so don't change from mouse to keyboard. I find the mouse to be more natural when i'm sat in front of my pc rather than my tv however ymmv
Many user's initial experiments with KODI will be with some old tatty kit they have to hand. And a mouse is cheap.

Personally I use KODI on a Win8 PC which has a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard connected. That same PC is used to access other catch-up TV services through the web browser. So the touchpad gets used a lot.
How many new users will delete/uninstall Kodi as soon as they install it if they find there is no mouse support? There was a discussion several years ago about changing the default skin to one that didn't have mouse support. My thoughts are that if someone is installing Kodi to check it out and they find that the mouse doesn't work it would be a show stopper for most of them.
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
Because I have my HTPC set up as a dual monitor, with Kodi constantly running on my TV and then my other monitor being regular PC stuff, I have to disable mouse. Otherwise if my wife is watching something and I'm on my PC, if my mouse gets too close to the edge, it will show up on the TV screen - which can be quite annoying. We only use the IR remote with it anyway, and if I'm doing maintenance then I'm fine just using keyboard input.
(2015-05-29, 22:53)Dilligaf Wrote: How many new users will delete/uninstall Kodi as soon as they install it if they find there is no mouse support? There was a discussion several years ago about changing the default skin to one that didn't have mouse support. My thoughts are that if someone is installing Kodi to check it out and they find that the mouse doesn't work it would be a show stopper for most of them.

Yes many people try it on their desktops first. And most don't even read the 'about' page, or appreciate what a 10 foot interface is.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-05-21, 05:15)Piers Wrote: I never use a mouse for Kodi. I tried a few remotes but found the functionality to be limited. Now I use Logitech K400 wireless keyboard and mouse combination on all HTPCs.

Same here we bought two Logitech K400r keyboards from Newegg for 16.00 each shipped.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What are the arguments against dropping mouse support in Kodi?0