Remove Thumbnail Folder
I was having a conversation with a buddy about cleaning out the thumbnail folder. He asked me do you really need a thumbnail folder?

I couldn't answer the question because I really don't know what would happen if there was no thumbnail folder.

What would actually happen if there was no folder?

And another question. When a thumbnail is saves will it make a duplicate image when that image is display again? Or it only saves it one time only?

Total nob about this.

Thanks
If you delete the thumbnail folder then Kodi will recreate it, because Kodi requires the thumbnail folder in order to function. It does not make a duplicate of that image when it is displayed again. The whole point of caching images is so that it can pull up the image again later and do so much faster.
(2015-05-21, 09:01)Ned Scott Wrote: If you delete the thumbnail folder then Kodi will recreate it, because Kodi requires the thumbnail folder in order to function. It does not make a duplicate of that image when it is displayed again. The whole point of caching images is so that it can pull up the image again later and do so much faster.

Thanks for explaining that.

Another question. Would you deleted the contents of the thumbnail folder less often then when you delete cache?

My box is a 16g, so I assume deleting cache once a month is fine and longer with thumbnails.

I installed raw maintenance on my box and it has a thumbnail deletion along with cache and purge packages.

I'm trying to get a general idea how often to do either of them

Thanks again.
I've never had to manually delete any cache. Packages are automatically purged as well at a certain point (they never go above 200MB). Old thumbnails don't automatically get cleaned out, but it should take well over a year or two before that should be a problem on a low-memory device. Probably longer.

See HOW-TO:Reduce disk space usage (wiki) and Caches explained (wiki).
Ok so kodi will automatically delete packages once it hits 200mb. That funny because I deleted packages myself and it was almost exactly 200mb of space I regained. I wonder how much it actually deletes when it hits 200mb.

My backup was 1.1g and when I deleted thumbnails and packages it dropped to 440mb. My box has 16g of space also.

What's you opinion on zero cache with a 16g device. Should be pretty safe using right?

Thanks, Ned

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remove Thumbnail Folder0