Different users, different skins
Hi,

In my family different people prefer different skins. Is it possible to set KODI up with some sort of Profile Log-In (like Netflix's "Who's watching ") which would launch the preferred skin of the person using KODI? For the sake of clarity, I am talking about running KODI on a single HTPC in the living room, not using KODI on different PCs.

Christopher
Isn't this exactly what profiles do?
I don't know, I am new at this :-) Huh

I though profiles set up preferences within a chosen skin, not different skins, but I might be mistaken! I am using the Confluence (default?) skin myself, my son wants to use the Black Glass Neo, my wife something else again... From my Confluence skin, how do I go about adding a new profile? I would have though from the Settings menu, but I can't find it (even using the Advanced settings level).

Sorry if my question is too basic Blush
Everything you need to know is right here: http://kodi.wiki/view/Profiles

If you only want to set up profiles so each user can have their own skin, I'd recommend going the easy route and just picking a skin that all three of you agree on. From there, just set it up so it's user friendly for all three of you. I have the exact same skin (reFocus) with the same settings on every machine in my house. My 2 year old can find what he wants to watch with a remote or a keyboard with relative ease.

If you want to go as far as limiting each user to certain video files, settings, etc, then by all means go ahead and set up your profiles.
Thanks for the pointer. I don't want anyone else to have access to the Settings menu, on the other hand I am not really interested in the Pictures section. Also, some of the other in my family don't want/need access to Music or Videos, so I though I'd just customize different skins (or even different set-ups of the same skin) for ach of us. Sounds like profiles is the way to go?
(2015-05-21, 11:54)cgroth Wrote: Thanks for the pointer. I don't want anyone else to have access to the Settings menu, on the other hand I am not really interested in the Pictures section. Also, some of the other in my family don't want/need access to Music or Videos, so I though I'd just customize different skins (or even different set-ups of the same skin) for ach of us. Sounds like profiles is the way to go?

Definitely. If Kodi is still around when my son gets a little older, I'll be setting up his own profile. Right now, all he wants to watch is Pixar movies, so I made them a button press away.
Made 6 different profiles (1 master user for editing etc, 5 individual 'daily use' profiles with read only permissions), works perfectly! Smile

So many fantastic looking skins out there, the problem now is to choose Huh
(2015-05-22, 11:21)cgroth Wrote: Made 6 different profiles (1 master user for editing etc, 5 individual 'daily use' profiles with read only permissions), works perfectly! Smile

So many fantastic looking skins out there, the problem now is to choose Huh

Nice. Good luck finding skins. My Top 5 are reFocus, Mimic, Back Row, Rapier, and SiO2x

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Different users, different skins0