Movie information before Play()
Is it possible to fetch movie information from a media file (such as subtitles and audio streams), before actually invoking the player?

I think it would be interesting to display such information before launching the player, in the VideoNav or DialogVideoInfo windows.

Anyone knows if there is code available for this? I am talking about C++ here, I know (I think...) it is not possible to do this from a skin.
you'd need to scan it into your library, or if the file resides in a folder that's within a configured source, opening the movie info view will automatically scrape stuff and extract stream details.
Which one do you call the "movie info view"?? Are you referring to DialogVideoInfo ??
the one that comes up when pressing "i" on the keyboard, but yes, I think it's DialogVideoInfo. Opening this dialog will trigger a scrape of that file, but as said, only if it's within a correctly configured source (so with media type set to movies, desired scraper selected etc).
Yes that's DialogVideoInfo. You are correct, it will fetch information about the movie, but I realize my question was not precise. I am specifically looking for the available audio streams, and available subtitles. This information is contained in the source file, and (after looking at the code) i don't think it is actually available until the player starts.
if the question is, as i understand it, how to get *all* audio stream and subtitles,
then yes, that info is only available during playback.

when you scan items to the library, only one audio stream and subtitle language will be stored in the database (afaik).
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
All streams are now stored in Database, info about audio streams are just a little lower :

- "channels", "codec", "bitrate" are not available but counts and languages are

Starting from Kodi it seems that scraping a source is not enough to trigger this data gathering you need to browse it from GUI so that it start, this is a regression from before but seems wanted if I remember from other discussions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie information before Play()0