Win Windows phone
Hi

Thank for the opportunity of addressing what I see as a small. Issue. Windows is now in the mobile devices market, so as consumers start to windows phone with windows os if be right if consumer were able to use Kodi on windows phone handsets.

My best wishes to the project as I've enjoyed a great software and will enjoy for many years.

Masteroftimeuk.[/size]
[quote='masteriftimeuk' pid='2011280' dateline='1432413459']
Hi

Thank for the opportunity of addressing what I see as a small. Issue. Windows is now in the mobile devices market, so as consumers I want to use Kodi on windows phone, as well as windows os, I have a Nokia Lumia Windows and so hopefully in the future they maybe Kodi for windows phone that works with the pc version too.

My best wishes to the project as I've enjoyed a great software and will enjoy for many years.

Masteroftimeuk
Kodi developers have never really been interested in handheld devices.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would also be interested in a version of kodi for my phablet, specifically a Lumia 1320.
If what Ms says is correct, then compiling the win 10 version as a universal package would make it compatible with all win 10 devices.
Yeah, universal apps can be configured to query the screen size (among other things) and configure themselves accordingly. It's pretty cool when it's done well, but there are some issues. At the moment there is no simple way to sideload universal apps that I know of (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so Kodi would have to go through the appstore like everyone else. No bueno. Plus it's another platform to target and compile for which I don't see happening--- personally I'd like to see the Win32 Kodi go away and be replaced with 64-bit, but the devs have said in some older threads that wasn't happening either.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
So what is the problem of going through appstore?
Doing a universal build wouldn't be another platform to build for, but a replacement for several current platforms.
That assumes that development of the Win32 platform would cease--- and with the number of users still on older Windows operating systems (8.x, 7, Vista, even *gag* XP) I don't see that happening in the short term. I'd like to see Kodi at least go to 64-bit, but there are apparently a lot of people still running 32-bit versions of Windows, too. These people may be Luddites or freaks, and some may have valid reasons--- either way it locks out a chunk of the userbase if Kodi went exclusively Universal.
Why would it require that win32 cease?
I currently use it on XP, 7 & 10.
I also want to use it on the main windows phone for local music only & the windows phablet.
In the near future I also plan to set it up on the raspberry pi.

I don't want to have to learn the foibles of multiple packages on multiple platforms, but use one across them all.

I have no loyalty to kodi per se, it is just that it is the best solution so far.
Obviously I am going to push to make it exactly what I need.

If another, better solution is released then I go with that instead.
You said going with a universal app would replace other current platforms (presumably Win32), but because the Universal App Platform for Windows 10 works only on Windows 10 devices, not older versions of Windows--- it IS another platform to code for. Microsoft showed a tool that helps devs convert apps on the old Win32 codebase to a Universal app, but the old programmer in me is skeptical that it will be simple.
Assuming that what MS claims is true, then the universal app should work with all versions of 10, be it 32, 64 or a mobile processor.
Why do you insist on assuming that I mean win 32 when I have clearly stated that it would be a change to the win 10 build only and would have no effect on other platforms?
As things stand at the moment, multiple builds are required for different processors under 10, going the universal route would reduce these to one build.
I think you might have lost me a bit--- I mean the Universal App Platform is a new platform. If Kodi were to be coded in it it would add another Kodi version to go alongside Android, iOS, Win32, and the various flavors/derivatives of Linux. I can't speak for the devs, but it seems that if they don't want to move Kodi to native 64-bit Windows code, they might see making a Universal Windows 10 app as redundant since the old Windows version works fine as it is now.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you meant by "Doing a universal build wouldn't be another platform to build for, but a replacement for several current platforms"--- when I say Universal I mean specifically the Universal App Platform introduced in (and working solely on) Windows 10 devices. If the devs already have a UAP version of Kodi I wasn't aware of it. It's possible we're talking about different things...
Lets put it on the Windows Lumia Phones and other Windows devices. Lets not code get in the way of innovation. As code has always been on the forefront of innovation. Thanks guys.
(2015-05-23, 23:27)nickr Wrote: Kodi developers have never really been interested in handheld devices.
Too much information. Sad
(2016-06-07, 04:34)trogggy Wrote:
(2015-05-23, 23:27)nickr Wrote: Kodi developers have never really been interested in handheld devices.
Too much information. Sad
Buggered if I can see my phone screen from 10 feet away.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows phone1