No Sound ATV1 & HDMI
If it wasn't such a pain, it would be funny. I'm using an ATV1 with the latest Gotham on my new Sharp 4K TV. HDMI produces a great picture but no sound. Yes I've changed the audio to HDMI, analog, tried different passthrough combo's. Different HDMI ports and cables. Unplugged, rebooted, disconnected everything, even a fresh start. NO SOUND. Here's the kicker. I tried component cables and much to my surprise, I got audio, but....... no video! I'd be happy if I could get either method to work.
Normally users just select:
(everything else left at default)

Gotham > Settings > System > Audio Ouput > Audio output device > HDA Intel, HDMI

You can also upgrade to Kodi if you are running Crystalbuntu on the ATV1:

Kodi 14.2 Helix Final....
http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=17422

Kodi 15 Isengard Alpha2
http://forum.osmc.tv/showthread.php?tid=...id11689718

W.

get a new device and throw away/sell the atv1. If you can buy a new 4K tv you can afford a proper htpc as well
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-05-25, 13:25)Martijn Wrote: get a new device and throw away/sell the atv1. If you can buy a new 4K tv you can afford a proper htpc as well

Thanks, I'm running KODI on my PC in another room, but am I wrong to try and get this box working too?
(2015-05-26, 08:29)Jkconey Wrote:
(2015-05-25, 13:25)Martijn Wrote: get a new device and throw away/sell the atv1. If you can buy a new 4K tv you can afford a proper htpc as well

Thanks, I'm running KODI on my PC in another room, but am I wrong to try and get this box working too?

Nope, not at all. The ATV1 is just an x86 HTPC, and if it works for you then there's no reason to replace it. Check out the links wrxtasy gave.
Thanks to your link I updated my ATV1 to Kodi 14.2. Process worked flawlessly, I even retained my settings and favorites but...... Still no audio via HDMI or analogue setting. It worked fine all the way through Frodo. Do I just give up?
Are you able to provide a screenshot from your audio settings, please?
So many posts and not a single Debug Log or at least amixer | pastebinit or aplay -l | pastebinit
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-27, 07:45)David1977 Wrote: Are you able to provide a screenshot from your audio settings, please?

How would I do that on my ATV 1 and TV? I can answer any questions though. No sound, not even remote clicks. Tried every possible combo I could. Pass through, on, off, plug, unplug HDMI cables, Reboot, etc.
as fritsch said...provide a Debug Log (<- follow this link for a how-to) and/or SSH (wiki) in and provide the commands he suggests

Code:
amixer | pastebinit

Code:
aplay -l | pastebinit

you will then get an URL back which you have to provide

for the screenshot...what about using a smartphone and make a photo? Wink

or

http://kodi.wiki/view/Keyboard_controls

scan this site for the word "screenshot" and you will find out, that the "Print" button on your keyboard does the same.
WRXTASY, powers up his trusty lovable ATV1....

Kodi > Settings > System > Audio Output ....

1) Settings Level (bottom left) > Expert
2) Scroll down to the bottom of the right list > select Reset above settings to default then from the top of the list...
3) Audio output device > HDA Intel, HDMI

You should now hear the usual clicking sounds when navigating Kodi.
If not, attach a USB keyboard to the rear USB port and possibly reboot, then press the + and - keys to see if the Volume control goes Up and Down in Kodi.

Question ?
Do you have any dodgy or banned Kodi addons or other Audio related extras running. I cannot discuss banned addons here on the Kodi forum other than saying remove them.

If this still does not work you need to look at your Audio settings on your new Sharp TV.

If the ATV1 was working with your old TV just fine then it does not have a Hardware fault and you can rule that out.

I strongly suspect a new Xorg.conf file needs to be generated for the new Sharp TV but we will get to that if everything else fails.

Here's the log.... I didn't realize there was such a thing as banned addons, and they may result in no audio?
I have lots of stuff added via repos that I've never even visited. Is there a banned list posted somewhere?

Just to add, it was working perfectly with this new TV and Frodo. Can't say exactly what changed other than my adding a Sony
sound bar recently. I did try disconnecting it with no help.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/11416792/
ATV1 plus lots of Addons = Piss Poor Performance !

It only has 256K of RAM to play with and all this extra stuff just chokes it to death.

Remove it all and keep it minimal. Better still follow my Kodi 14.2 link above and start from a clean slate by following the instructions to remove old XBMC and Kodi addons and such:
(Stop Kodi first)

Quote:To Stop the startup/crash loop:

Don't execute the commands in the dependencies troubleshooting part.

Banned Addons List:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Official:Forum_rul...ed_add-ons

I assumed that all that stuff just lays dormant not using any resources if not used?

Thanks.... can I simply run "fresh start" or disable/remove all the addons?

Can I rerun your KODI 14.2 or Kodi 15 Isengard Alpha2 over what's running now?

Are you confident that this is the cause of no audio?
Some of it stays "dormant", but some add-ons run as services in the background. This applies to all add-ons in general, not just the banned ones. It's just that, if your issue is with one of the ones we can't talk about, then we obviously won't be able to help you much ;)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Sound ATV1 & HDMI0