Audio settings explanation help!
I noticed a setting called "maintain original volume on downmix". Personally i would like the best sound without compression. On my kodi 14.1 it says "enabled" engages compression but on the online guide Audio_settings (wiki) it says the complete OPPOSITE, that "disabled" activates the compression!! Maybe I'm reading it wrong... but can anybody confirm the correct setting please?

Second question is about the "number of channels" setting....I'm still confused even though I read the wiki...I have a 5.1 Yamaha av receiver connected to android box but I actually physically have 3.0 speaker set up (two fronts and center). Software wise, I have passthrough, DD and DTS settings all enabled. So with this in mind should I set the number of channels setting to 5.1, 3.0 or leave at the default 2.0? Which setting will give me the best sound experience or does it not matter? Would appreciate it if someone can explain it to me as the wiki I found confusing still... Many thanks for reading and any advice [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
The audio description in Kodi is correct. The wiki has been updated.

For the number of channels, if you have passthrough enabled then it won't matter, because Kodi is passing the raw audio data onto something else (I assume your audio receiver) and that is what will handle how many speakers you actually have.
That's great thanks!
(2015-05-26, 09:22)Ned Scott Wrote: The audio description in Kodi is correct. The wiki has been updated.

For the number of channels, if you have passthrough enabled then it won't matter, because Kodi is passing the raw audio data onto something else (I assume your audio receiver) and that is what will handle how many speakers you actually have.
I have another question. Is the passthrough option still relevant when watching a video with lossy audio format. Basically when the passthrough setting is on does kodi only passthrough the lossless formats and decodes the others itself or did it passthrough them all regardless... For example, when I'm watching regular TV with lossy AAC sound would still that be passthroughed to the amp or does kodi only passthrough the lossless formats?
Passthrough:

All formats the AVR supports and user has enabled via the settings will be passed through as is from kodi.

AAC is never passthroughed. It is decoded to PCM and output from there.

Kodi can passthrough:
DTS, AC3, EAC3, DTS-HD, TrueHD
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi can anyone help me I'm trying to enable pass through from android box via optical to my yamaha 5.1 soundbar but my audio settings within kodi doesn't have the enable pass through bit so that I can choose dolby or dts etc?
I'm on 16.1 jarvis tried everything everyone seems to have enable pass through as last option in audio but I don't bizarre.
(2017-01-08, 12:13)martink777 Wrote: Hi can anyone help me I'm trying to enable pass through from android box via optical to my yamaha 5.1 soundbar but my audio settings within kodi doesn't have the enable pass through bit so that I can choose dolby or dts etc?
I'm on 16.1 jarvis tried everything everyone seems to have enable pass through as last option in audio but I don't bizarre.

Do you have "Expert mode" enabled when viewing your options?
Yes this is what I don't understand I just don't have the option my z4 octo core android box has optical spdif just can't activate it. I had kodi 16 so updated it to 16.1 yesterday thinking it might be there now but still no option to highlight ENABLE PASS THROUGH. I must either need to do something or I'm being stupid I've tried googling everything. :0
I believe you have to have "Expert" selected in the settings in order to select / see the Passthrough options.....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio settings explanation help!0