tv box crashing/freezing
Hey, that's great.

Please do let us know how things end up. I'm contemplating reselling boxes and the M8 was one I was considering, but now that you mention it I derated it on my list partly because someone else had made a similar comment about venting being designed into the wrong part of the case...

My take on it was that it was probably intended to be a convection based design, with top vents to allow the warmer air to escape while cooler air got sucked in the bottom vents and then some genius decided the top vents looked bad, or weren't necessary, or cost too much or whatever.

Let us know if the venting was the problem or if you have a heatsink issue or whatever, if you do pop it open.
Yes i will, maybe tomorr night il try and watch a film throu v15 lsengard but use the box the correct way up, then if any freezing il know its def a heat problem, im sure i remember reading a review from amazon that somebody had drilled holes in the top, thats why i decided to turn it over lol. Thanks for your replies technisol
You're very welcome. We AMLogic guys have to stick together. ;-)

Drilling holes would help, but I'd get a nice big(2-3") QUIET computer case fan, bolt that sucker on over the holes I drilled and a piece of some sort of filter paper, and wire it to a cheap plug in adapter and never have to worry about it again. Ideally, fan on top oriented to suck cool air in the base and exhaust heat out the top. The only better alternative is fan on bottom so it stays cooler too, but probably harder to rig.
Yes thats right mate,Good idea, dont worry about wiring , to much headwork, my bro inlaw used to do xboxes after they suffered red ring of death which was heat sinks,after he fixed the heat sinks with new paste he fitted a fan at the back which was usb powered and theres usb slots in the box so happy days ..
Amlogic Sxxx on Isengard will work fine even with wrong permissions because it falls back on MediaCodec if those are wrong, and those recent devices are quite happy with that Wink
Yes, cheers, and turning the box upside down helped alot aswell , the box wasnt half as hot as it was normal way up because the vents are underneath .
UPDATE :- HI all, im very dissapointed to say that my problem has come back , just sat down to watch a film with the kids and after 15mins the dreaded black screen came back and audio kept playing... I just dont know what else to do, the seller still hasnt responded from amazon,any help on firmware and a how to would b very much appreciated
Not sure how much you've investigated, but could this be an issue with certain file types, or video or audio encoding and when you had success it was a different type file that played fine?
Im not sure to be honest, i just find a film and press play lol. Surely its something simple, someone must have the answer to black screen lol
you should turn on debugging and get a copy of your log posted. maybe there is something it can tell you about what is happening. It sure would tell you if its a kodi issue or a box issue.

If it si the box and you don;t get any help from the seller, you may be better off just getting a different unit.

I use a fire TV now and it so far has handled everything I've thrown at it. Fire TV for me after a few tweaks to network settings in advanced settings has been perfect. and works great via wired or wifi for what I use it for. And it has been rock solid, only needing the occasional reboot.

Previously I have had an MX box which also worked ok most of the time, but did have the occasional freeze while playing which got worked out with changing some settings and versions of kodi until it was working better. But it was still far from perfectly stable.
Yea your right , i should do a log, i tried before but it werent giving me a code so i never bothered again , when i got 10 mins tomorr il have another look, and iv mentioned another box to the wife but it was "we not paying anymore money for these to f### up every few months" lol
(2015-05-28, 00:30)bazzol Wrote: UPDATE :- after a factory reset and the gotham 13.2installed, i decided to watch a movie and everything was perfect

The same here. The program happens again sometime but turns out to be normal after reboot
UPDATE :- hi everyone , i think i know what is causing the black screen during video playback, so my daughter was watching barbie and after 20mins or so the black screen happened , so i decided to try the hdmi lead by taking it out and plugging it back in and much to my delight the video came back on and everything was ok, so later on last night me and the wife was watching a film and after 50mins the black screen happened again, so pulled the hd lead out and plugged it back in , but only this time the video was multicoloured and zoomed in about x10 size lol so i had to reset the box and play from when it went off , i never had any freezing just the black screen which maybe a hdmi fault on my hitachi 42"as i dont get the black screen on my logik 32"
Maybe try just power cycling the TV, instead of the box or pulling the HDMI cable, and see what happens? Funny if it turns out to completely not be the box...
Yea i know lol, but i was having issues with speech out of sync and freezing so maybe that was the box or just the version of kodi, i work away from home and i dont get problems when im away, when i go home excited to watch something all the way through something always happens lol, at least i know the black screen is a hdmi problem now anyway

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
tv box crashing/freezing0