Jaggy edges when streaming online content
Hi,

Win Server 2008 R2 + Kodi Helix 14.2 using an AMD Radeon HD 7450 gfx card connected directly to a Panasonic P42V20B TV.

I've noticed that I get alot of jaggy edges during playback - mainly when viewing the online streamed services (even thou I have the steam set to highest quality). I don't get the edges viewing HD quality movies directly from the server.

I also have a Pi in another room hooked up to a different TV. It has no such lines during playback of the online content.

Kodi settings are:
- Resolution 1920x1080p
- Vertical Blank Sync - always enabled
- Adjust display referesh rate to match video - Off
- Sync playback to display - disabled
- Display 4:3 video as - normal

Any help appreciated

The original content is very low resolution, there's no making this a silk purse from a sow's ear. Try a Youtube of Big Buck Bunny (search for it under 4k resolution), or lessor res. Some streams can detect the resolution, if your bandwidth is not sufficient for HD, you'll get the SD version. Mostly anything 4:3 aspect was originally in NTSC (probably a tape which means 320x240 pixels and could be lower) and the quality is suspect. That doesn't mean all 4:3 aspect is junk, rotoscopes of old stuff, can be quite high picture quality (4K for theatres).

These days I'd rather NOT see old fuzzy NTSC and I'll patiently wait for a blu-ray release, if it's good they will remaster it sooner or later.
Thank Pat,

The feed is coming from ITV and is high quality. I can confirm this as my Pi plays the video fine - no edges or nothing - which leads me to the conclusion:

1. Issue with gfx card (or the software controlling the refresh rate)
2. Kodi setting
3. My TVs settings

Bandwidth is fine too - 8-10MB consistently, but again, it's fine on the Pi.
Them 1) or 2) are suspects. Clearly if you can use alternate software/hardware to achieve better results with the same source. I suspect it might have something to do with hardware acceleration (Kodi defaults to it, and then you're at the mercy of the gfx card chips and installed hardware decoders), go with software decoding and tweak the various decoding settings.

Settings>video>acceleration>render method
Interesting ... yea, I have HW acceleration enabled. I'll try without and report. Thanks!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jaggy edges when streaming online content0