What does this startup error really mean?
Keeping this background short as possible, I have 3 Pi 2Bs.
(Two are meant to be gifts come Christmas, I'm making custom cases & compilations.)

My first idea was to clone the 'primary' SD card, so I could learn on one Pi and have 2 backups available if I got in any trouble.

The original installation went flawlessly as far as Kodi in OpenELEC & Raspbian Wheezy are concerned, (except that Kodi plays sound great and I can't get any sound at all from Wheezy apps. The Official Pi forum has no answers on that ...)

At this stage, after upgrades and a few added apps like Libre Office (works surprisingly well) I cloned the 'Unit 1' SD card (16 Gb Class 10 Sandisk). The two cloned cards behave the same as far as Raspian is concerned- fine but no sound.

My problem cropped up the first time I tried to load Kodi from one of the cloned SD cards on call it 'Unit 2'.

The OpenELEC boxed TV splash screen appeared; but then so did a terminal text message in the corner-

*** ERROR IN MOUNT_STORAGE: MOUNT_COMMON: COULD NOT MOUNT UUID + bf4f835f - 7c28 - 4138 - 9295 - qc94514dda3c ***
### Starting Debugging Shell...
type exit to quit ###
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
# exit

Googling this error didn't give much help; is the problem that a cloned card is locked to a mobo, or is there a software issue, and is it in the underlying OS or should I give up on 'mastering' SD cards on one machine?

I can't even find MOUNT_STORAGE, and the device is not any drive except perhaps a partition on the main SD card.
I bet it's simple, but I can't make out what's wrong here...Confused
Probably an attempt to use one of the partitions on the SD card, and the partition on the clone has different ID.
A lot depends on how you cloned the card.
Don't be surprised if you don't get a lot of help here, as this isn't really a Kodi question, and is OS specific.
Derek
Hi Smile

My advice, asks on the openelec forum.

2 questions :
1/ how do you clone your SD card? (dump the image of the 1st SD Card / then write the image on a new SD-card)
or did you juste copy/paste?

2/ how you checked the UUID (Universally unique identifier) is really the good number
Code:
osmc@rpi:~$ sudo blkid
/dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="0007e7a9" PTTYPE="dos"
/dev/mmcblk0p1: UUID="4085-6432" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="0007e7a9-01"
/dev/mmcblk0p2: UUID="b2328095-8380-42d0-8ee2-16b168d76d1e" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="0007e7a9-02"

and check at least your fstab file is appropriate
Code:
osmc@rpi:~$ sudo cat /etc/fstab
/dev/mmcblk0p1  /boot    vfat     defaults,noatime    0   0
/dev/mmcblk0p2  /    ext4      defaults,noatime    0   0
192.168.31.11:/OSMC /home/osmc/.kodi  nfs  defaults,nolock,x-systemd.automount  0 0
Don't use UUID in cmdline.txt if "cloning" systems (just use the /dev/<partition> notation instead), or edit the UUID to match each cloned system.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks, & sorry for the delay, guys; I typed up a detailed response but somehow must have just previewed it, was one of those days.

just fyi, I used SDFormatter to prep the SD cards, and Win32DiskImager to perform the cloning. At one point I was asked if I wanted to expand the partition to the whole card and said Yes to that.

that UUID came up automatically within the error message itself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What does this startup error really mean?0