Control Chromebox w/ Harmony Smart Control
Having just set one of these up, I still think configuring the remote as a Microsoft Media Center Extender (using IR) is the way to go. I also tried configuring the remote as both a Playstation 3 remote and a Windows PC, both connected via BT. Initial pairing was problematic, the connection would randomly drop, and most buttons didn't work OOTB. Even tweaking with the keymap editor seemed to produce less than ideal results. Whereas the MCE device profile worked perfectly, all I had to do was add the mapping for the menu button to the 'dvdmenu' function.

Also, the Harmony software has gotten a lot worse. The design and process flow are complete crap. The reliance on a smartphone for the majority of the setup/configuration process is annoying (also, the Android software is crap). I didn't think I'd find something more irritating to set up than the Flirc, but I have. Congrats, Logitech
(2015-06-21, 20:16)Matt Devo Wrote: Having just set one of these up, I still think configuring the remote as a Microsoft Media Center Extender (using IR) is the way to go. I also tried configuring the remote as both a Playstation 3 remote and a Windows PC, both connected via BT. Initial pairing was problematic, the connection would randomly drop, and most buttons didn't work OOTB. Even tweaking with the keymap editor seemed to produce less than ideal results. Whereas the MCE device profile worked perfectly, all I had to do was add the mapping for the menu button to the 'dvdmenu' function.

Also, the Harmony software has gotten a lot worse. The design and process flow are complete crap. The reliance on a smartphone for the majority of the setup/configuration process is annoying (also, the Android software is crap). I didn't think I'd find something more irritating to set up than the Flirc, but I have. Congrats, Logitech

Just wondering, when you say using IR, do you mean using the Harmony IR receiver connected to the Harmony Hub? Or do you mean you just remove the hub from the situation altogether and use only the remote and a USB IR receiver connected to the Chromebox?
(2015-06-21, 21:15)jrochet Wrote: Just wondering, when you say using IR, do you mean using the Harmony IR receiver connected to the Harmony Hub? Or do you mean you just remove the hub from the situation altogether and use only the remote and a USB IR receiver connected to the Chromebox?

The Hub can send commands to devices via IR or BT. Using the Windows PC device profile sets up BT, using the MCE device profile uses IR. I'm recommending using the MCE device profile with a USB MCE receiver attached to the ChromeBox since BT seems way more problematic
(2015-06-21, 21:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 21:15)jrochet Wrote: Just wondering, when you say using IR, do you mean using the Harmony IR receiver connected to the Harmony Hub? Or do you mean you just remove the hub from the situation altogether and use only the remote and a USB IR receiver connected to the Chromebox?

The Hub can send commands to devices via IR or BT. Using the Windows PC device profile sets up BT, using the MCE device profile use IR. I'm recommending using the MCE device profile with a USB MCE receiver attached to the ChromeBox since BT seems way more problematic

Ahh okay I see. I will give this a try. Thanks.
Hi Matt, I'm just getting back to working on my HT equipment and setting everything up. That means I need to configure my Harmony Smart Control for controlling my Chromebox. Which USB MCE dongle did you use when you set it up?
(2015-07-15, 03:51)mpednault Wrote: Hi Matt, I'm just getting back to working on my HT equipment and setting everything up. That means I need to configure my Harmony Smart Control for controlling my Chromebox. Which USB MCE dongle did you use when you set it up?

any genuine MCE / eHome receiver should work. I used one of the HP ones listed on the ChromeBox wiki.
I currently have a Chromebox running Openelec, and a HP Pavilion HTPC, running Win 8.1 and Kodi.. Both work just fine with an MCE receiver. Trouble is, I only have one receiver at the moment. Just for fun, I have been trying to get the Chromebox to work via Bluetooth with my Harmony Ultimate. I can get no joy whatsoever. Trying to pair either with the remote, just does not work. They do not see the remote/hub set-up at all, after trying to add a Windows PC, a Linux PC, a Microsoft Openelec (whatever it is that Harmony thinks that might be). Nothing. I am waiting for another IR receiver, but before I just give up on this, does it still actually work? Is there some secret button that one needs to press to get BT active on the hub? FYI, I am on the latest FW update which came through yesterday, and in the UK. I have had no significant problems with the remote otherwise, it works very well.
OK. I finally managed to get an Android tablet loaded with the Harmony app, and have added the HTPC as a device, using Bluetooth. I'll try the Chromebox later. It was pretty easy with the app, and impossible using just MyHarmony and a remote combination, so I'd say you have to use the mobile app, and it will work.
[Edit] Exactly the same process with the Chromebox. Actually, easier than adding any other BT device to the Chromebox, which seems not to like headphones, or even some keyboards. [/Edit]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Control Chromebox w/ Harmony Smart Control0