Recommendations for equipment needed to set up my Raspberry PI2 B
Hi All

After using XBMC for quite while now on an android box & finding it unstable I have finally decided to give the Raspberry PI2 B a go, so I am looking online at the various retailers to choose what I require.
I obviously need the PI plus, mains charger, micro sd card, wifi adapter,etc but I want to buy decent stuff to give the system a good chance of being stable

Firstly I need advice on which micro SDcard to use. I intend to run the latest version of OpenElec & from what I understand many cards are not compatible.
This is the one I have more or less decided on, but maybe I will change my mind after some recommendations from those who have used various cards:

SanDisk 16gb class 10 mobile ultra SDSDQUA-016G-U4A

Another member said many of you like Samsung Plus micro SDHC UHS-1 class 10 but I could only find
Samsung Evo 16gb MB-MP16DAEU

On the topic of microSD card what size do most of you go for, I chose 16gb as it isn't too small, do most of you only store the operating system on it (not sure if you download any films, etc if it's better to download to usb drive??

Now the USB wifi adapter - How about Edimax EW-7811UTC AC600
I need good wifi as my router (Alfa R36) is on one level & the TV (not smart TV, just standard LCD) where I will be running the PI is on another level, so a strong reliable connection very important

I also would expect a good quality power supply is important...any suggestions there.
Oh & do I need fan & heatsink??

So if any of you have any advice as to buy what & from where, please offer me your advice

Many thanks
PS, not sure if I have posted in the right section, please advise if I haven't
Read this. You don't need a fan/heatsink. No need for a USB install if the sdcard is decent.
8G is enough for almost anything kodi related, but 16G would allow a decently sized movie to be copied on, or allow external apps like a torrent client.
There is now an official wifi adaptor which should be well supported and is pretty cheap. If at all possible ethernet is recommended, especially if you want to play high bitrate 1080p videos.
I run the 32GB version of the Samsung Evo 16gb MB-MP16DAEU on a Turbo Overclocked RPi2 and have not had any issues.
Its a nice fast micro SDHC card.

Popular and Cheap and works:
Netis WF2123 Wireless N300 Nano USB Adapter

Get a proper 2.0 Amp / 5 Volt power suppy with a decent thick power cord if you plan on hanging a bunch of USB device off the RPi. Anything less and it will be Rainbow - sadness and RPi crashing with SD card corruption problems included for free ! Smile

which version of openelec is recommended on RPI2 B
I presume it will be the 32 bit version.
I have installed operating system on my laptop before using a live bootable USB, but have never installed to micro sd card
Can someone provide me with a good easy 'How to guide' to install openelec onto the RPI
I have both windows 7 starter & Linux (MX 14)
which would be the easiest to do it windows or linux
I only ever installed on linux, and I believe its the easiest
follow this guide
http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-open...-pi-linux/
download the ARMv7 Builds - RPi2 ARMv7 quad core models (Model B 1024MB)
the stable one OpenELEC 5.0.8 (arm)
after that its real easy
on the link I gave you'll need to replace the build number to the one you download i.e
tar xvf OpenELEC-RPi.arm-3.2.4.tar
goes to
tar xvf OpenELEC-RPi.arm-5.0.8.tar

It'll take you about 3 minutes

also to format an sdcard in the future download gparted
really simple
The wiki has a step by step explanation for different OS how to install a Pi(2)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
(2015-06-02, 15:26)mel08 Wrote: which version of openelec is recommended on RPI2 B
I presume it will be the 32 bit version.

No - the 32/64 bit versions are for x86. You need to download the Pi or Pi 2 images.

You can download a stable version from openelec.tv or a development version from a thread in the Pi section of the forum here. (You may need to install a stable version first and then do an in-situ upgrade for the latter)

Quote:I have installed operating system on my laptop before using a live bootable USB, but have never installed to micro sd card
Can someone provide me with a good easy 'How to guide' to install openelec onto the RPI
I have both windows 7 starter & Linux (MX 14)
which would be the easiest to do it windows or linux
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/HOW-TO...Disk_Image

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendations for equipment needed to set up my Raspberry PI2 B0