WIP Android/ATV2 Maintenance Tool
This tool is especially useful if you are on a low storage device and use any streaming add-ons. Because Kodi downloads lots and lots of fanart and thumbnails as you browse through those add-ons - stuff you may never even look at again. Eventually it piles up and needs to be cleaned. Once these files grow to be very large they can max out your memory. That's why my device was crashing, going back to confluence skin, freezing, etc. When I found out that the installation was huge I did some digging and found the culprits. When I started manually clearing them from the file manager I stopped having those issues. So now I've created a tool that allows me to do this with just a few clicks. So I've got a quick script that allows you to manage some of your Android, Linux or ATV2 memory from within Kodi. Please try it out and let me know if it works for you. In the future I will be making a service that will read your HDD and warn you when space is low to remind you to use the tool.

What this tool does:

Note: None of these options affect any Kodi settings or skins or remove any add-ons. Your installation will remain the same - it just gets rid of some bloat. There are no news feeds that link to my website or any other crap and it runs some very basic commands to allow you to clean up your installation from within Kodi.

You will have 4 options once inside the tool. You can use one, two, all, or none.

Delete Cache
-Clears Kodi cache

Delete Thumbnails
-Deletes Thumbnails Folder-----|
-Deletes Textures13.db----------| (These two files can become absurdly large)
-Upon Kodi restart it will rebuild thumbnail library with only the files needed.

Purge Packages
-Deletes old add-on versions. As Kodi updates add-ons, it saves the old zip files in case you'd like to roll back. These files get removed with this command

Clear All
-Performs all 3 options, then automatically exits Kodi so that upon restart it will automatically rebuild thumbnail library

Changelog:
-Added 4th option, 'Clear All'

-Added 'automatic exit' after deleting thumbnails
-Code cosmetics

-Added conditions for ATV2

-Added Delete Cache
-Added Purge Packages

-Initial python for deleting thumbnails

Known Errors:
-"Delete Thumbnails" option does not work on Windows. Throws exceptions.WindowsError
'The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process'

Download Offline
Nobody to help me test this? Lol
This also works for Linux...
Is it possible for you to list out a list of the things that this add-on does remove? I think people could be hesitant of using it because they aren't sure what it'd delete.

In addition, I also noticed that there's another add-on that does some of the stuff you mentioned this add-on would do. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158972
(2015-06-09, 23:02)springroll Wrote: Is it possible for you to list out a list of the things that this add-on does remove? I think people could be hesitant of using it because they aren't sure what it'd delete.

In addition, I also noticed that there's another add-on that does some of the stuff you mentioned this add-on would do. http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158972

The add-on you mentioned does not delete any thumbnails - it moves them to another folder. Here is an excerpt from the post you mentioned.

Quote:Thumbnails Cleaner works for exclusion. The script read the databases and excludes the images found. No image will be deleted. Once completed, the images will be moved to the destination folder you choose. In case of simulation, the images will be copied.

The "Delete Thumbnails" option in my add-on will delete the thumbnails folder and the textures13.db file (these files can grow to be absurdly large) and upon a restart of Kodi it will rebuild your thumbnail library with only the files you need. It is especially useful if you are on a low storage device and use any streaming add-ons. Because Kodi will download lots and lots of fanart and thumbnails as you browse through - stuff you may never even look at again, so eventually it piles up and needs to be cleaned.

To be clear: This tool does not affect Kodi settings, skins or add-ons

Edit: I've updated the first post with specifcs
The Android/ATV2 Maintenance Tool works really well on the Fire TV as it cleans everything in one location. I used to manually do this and it can be time consuming. Finally, a tool that does exactly what I want it to do. Thanks for this and Great work!!!

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to do further testing of your Maintenance Tool if at all necessary.
I'm working on a service add-on that will check the remaining disk space and remind a person, once space gets below 500MB, to use the maintenance tool that I've uploaded. I need a way to determine the remaining disk space using python on Android. I tried using statvfs() but it is only compatible on Unix-like systems, including OS X. That means I can use statvfs for Linux and OSX. I can use wmi or ctypes for Windows but nothing for Android so far. I can create a separate wrapper to check the operating system and use the best method for each - but I can't find a python module for Android that can do this. Any suggestions?
(2015-08-01, 20:26)mjbxx Wrote: The Android/ATV2 Maintenance Tool works really well on the Fire TV as it cleans everything in one location. I used to manually do this and it can be time consuming. Finally, a tool that does exactly what I want it to do. Thanks for this and Great work!!!

EDIT: I'd be more than happy to do further testing of your Maintenance Tool if at all necessary.

Thanks! Glad it works for you! I've added the automatic exit after deleting thumbs (restart is only supported on Windows and Linux). If you would kindly test this out for me? It seems to work on my system but further testing would be great. Please let me know if it works for you, thank you. Still working on service add-on that monitors systems free space to remind you to use the tool when resources are low.
I also tested it over the weekend and it worked great! I will test out the new one that would do the automatic exit this week. Thanks for your work on this!
Possibility to have one icon that would do all three things? :-)
(2015-08-10, 15:30)springroll Wrote: I also tested it over the weekend and it worked great! I will test out the new one that would do the automatic exit this week. Thanks for your work on this!
Possibility to have one icon that would do all three things? :-)

Thank you! I think that should be easy to accomplish Smile

EDIT: There is now a version (1.0.8) in that download location that has an option to clear all. Please let me know if it works for you!
Just downloaded and installed with no problems.

Cleared thumbnails.
Before Android space using 72.3% - after 59.9%

Works great Smile
(2015-08-10, 21:06)kidzrback Wrote: Just downloaded and installed with no problems.

Cleared thumbnails.
Before Android space using 72.3% - after 59.9%

Works great Smile

Nice! Thanks for the support
(2015-08-09, 21:09)kodaxx Wrote: Thanks! Glad it works for you! I've added the automatic exit after deleting thumbs (restart is only supported on Windows and Linux). If you would kindly test this out for me? It seems to work on my system but further testing would be great. Please let me know if it works for you, thank you. Still working on service add-on that monitors systems free space to remind you to use the tool when resources are low.
Finally got around to adding v1.0.8 and it works great on the Fire TV. Really like the Clear All feature as it becomes a one click option to start the clearing of cache, thumbnails and packages. Further, the Automatic Exit feature is working as well on the Fire TV. Excellent work and a huge thanks for your effort in providing users the Android/ATV2 Maintenance Tool.
Has issue on last part of Clear All,

On Kodi Isengard 15.2 Final release. Has worked well on other versions of kodi upto this release.

All the best jamsb
I had to create a login just to say congrats on an awesome job. I was looking for something just like this for a long time. Glad I found it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android/ATV2 Maintenance Tool1