Dish OTADVR Box
my question is if I can you a dish vip722 STB and install KODI on it and use it as a stand alone OTA PVR , any suggestions or help would be great.
What does that question have to do with Android and Kodi on Android? Does your Dish OTA DVR box run Android OS?

Otherwise the question and as such the answer sounds there same as here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=226770

You can not install Kodi on a Dish OTA DVR box anyway, nor access its TV-tuner from Kodi somehow.

Suggest you buy a Raspberry Pi 2 plus a compatible USB or network TV-tuner for it and then install http://kodi.wiki/view/OpenELEC
Yes, I do believe these receivers do run on Linux software.
The only reason I am asking is because I own two of these receivers. I do not subscribe to dish anymore. The main purpose of me using these was to record TV shows or sports while I was gone fishing, most of the games I recorded where OTA (free television) i.e. football games that I could watch later. These receivers have an ATSC tuner (HDTV tuner) that I plugged my antenna into to get all the local HD channels. Now that I have these two bricks sitting around I wanted to know if I could erase the all the dish software and install new software on them and use as a OTA DVR set top box.
I doubt it, but I'd try googling your dish box and KODI or XBMC to see if anyone has done it. There used to be some pretty active dish related forums that had hacks like adding larger drives and externals to dish equipment, but I haven't looked at one in years. If it's possible to put a compatible LINUX on the box and run KODI someone may have tried. I can see where you're coming from in terms of ATSC tuner, linux board, etc being built-in, but have no idea what the board is capable of in terms of HDMI output, decoding, GPU, etc for a HDTV as I never had a HD dish box. Further, can you find a way to run anything other than their LINUX install, I seem to recall they had things locked down pretty hard back in the day to where it was a pain to even upgrade the hard drive or even swap them in some cases.
(2015-05-28, 17:06)gonfishin Wrote: Yes, I do believe these receivers do run on Linux software.
Then you posted in the wrong subforum, as this subforum is only about Kodi on Android.

(2015-05-28, 17:51)technisol Wrote: There used to be some pretty active dish related forums that had hacks like adding larger drives and externals to dish equipment, but I haven't looked at one in years. If it's possible to put a compatible LINUX on the box and run KODI someone may have tried. I can see where you're coming from in terms of ATSC tuner, linux board, etc being built-in, but have no idea what the board is capable of in terms of HDMI output, decoding, GPU, etc for a HDTV as I never had a HD dish box. Further, can you find a way to run anything other than their LINUX install, I seem to recall they had things locked down pretty hard back in the day to where it was a pain to even upgrade the hard drive or even swap them in some cases.
You can not run Kodi it regardless or that, not all Linux or embedded systems running Linux are created equality, most can not be reinstalled or allow you to install your own software.

Don't bother to google it, normally I never say never but you are never going to get Kodi working on those.

(2015-05-28, 17:06)gonfishin Wrote: Now that I have these two bricks sitting around I wanted to know if I could erase the all the dish software and install new software on them and use as a OTA DVR set top box.
Nope, you can not run Kodi on them. Again suggest that you instead buy a Raspberry Pi 2 plus a compatible USB or network TV-tuner for OTA (free television) and then install OpenELEC.

See more tips with links here http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=226770

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dish OTADVR Box0