• 96(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2016-05-19, 23:45)giaur Wrote: New Xiaomi MiBox 4k is coming:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/18/...g-us-soon/

It's going to eat shield as breakfast. I can't understand that hype for nvidia shield here. It must be because nvidia is kodi sponsor.

I don't think so. Not for breakfast anyway. Maybe dinner. But without a network port, a port for an SD card, only 8g of memory, and no USB 3.0. I don't think there is going to be that much eating going on.
(2016-05-20, 05:59)deaded Wrote:
(2016-05-19, 23:45)giaur Wrote: New Xiaomi MiBox 4k is coming:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/18/...g-us-soon/

It's going to eat shield as breakfast. I can't understand that hype for nvidia shield here. It must be because nvidia is kodi sponsor.

I don't think so. Not for breakfast anyway. Maybe dinner. But without a network port, a port for an SD card, only 8g of memory, and no USB 3.0. I don't think there is going to be that much eating going on.

Ok, but definitely better than amazon firetv
Time will tell...
There were great expectations on the Razer Forge as well, remember?
And just to wind up the rumour Mill even further.....

I've heard Xiaomi have already delivered a MiBox 4K to Koying's doorstep and it now sits alongside the HiMedia Q10 Pro on the shelf.
These both look over enviously at the nVIDIA Shield getting all the lovin' Wink

(2016-05-20, 07:59)Koying Wrote: Time will tell...
There were great expectations on the Razer Forge as well, remember?

The what?
(2016-05-20, 08:41)wrxtasy Wrote: I've heard Xiaomi have already delivered a MiBox 4K to Koying's doorstep

Hehe... Nope. But if a Xiaomi representative reads this, please go ahead Wink
Hi all,

I have scoured the net for the answer to this question but cant seem to find the answer anywhere so here i am..

I have a raspberry pi which switches the tv to 3D mode automatically when playing 3d SBS mkv. I try and play the same file on ny Shield and it doesn't switch the tv to 3d mode automatically even though KODI detects it as 3d. When i manually switch the tv to SBS mode it gives a split image.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

I know the shield doesnt play MVC 3d iso yet, the file i am playing is a 3d sbs mkv.

The TV i am using is a Techwood 3d tv.

Thanks in advance.
The Shield TV could be such an awesome media player, but it's crippled by the lack of apps, certainly in the UK. I'm kind of wishing I'd not bothered with it and gone for the Amazon Fire 4K; cheaper and pretty much every app on it other than Now TV.

Google really need to get Android TV moving or it's going to die quietly Sad
(2016-05-26, 18:28)Finchy Wrote: The Shield TV could be such an awesome media player, but it's crippled by the lack of apps, certainly in the UK. I'm kind of wishing I'd not bothered with it and gone for the Amazon Fire 4K; cheaper and pretty much every app on it other than Now TV.

Agree, there is not even an HBO Now app for it.
if any hardware device is not using 1000/1001 * 24 (and friends) for their refresh rates, true video sync will never be possible. Decimal points matter and if one ignores them, the errors add up over the long term and opps, there goes a frame.

The other contributor is what other tasks are doing. A thread sleep for a flip wait only means the thread will sleep for AT LEAST that long. When the thread wakes is the job of the thread scheduler and a late wake can and will cause a frame skip. Most all embedded (android/ios/etc) run thread schedulers to optimize energy usage. Even with set-top devices like the shield or firetv. CPUs are turned off, clocks are cycled way down specially when using hardware video decode.

The tvOS (AppleTV4) seems to run different than iOS and I expect that is why it has a massive heat sink. I don't think it ever idles down. Even when it 'sleeps', it's not really sleeping.
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
(2016-05-26, 18:58)NeoDuck Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 18:28)Finchy Wrote: The Shield TV could be such an awesome media player, but it's crippled by the lack of apps, certainly in the UK. I'm kind of wishing I'd not bothered with it and gone for the Amazon Fire 4K; cheaper and pretty much every app on it other than Now TV.

Wrong, there is both a HBO Now and HBO Go app. The Shields "lack of apps" has diminished in the last several months and it's getting more apps all the time. It's even getting a exclusive Vudu app with the next update.

This is why people that don't own a device shouldn't be talking about a device as though they know what the device is capable of.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-05-26, 22:00)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 18:58)NeoDuck Wrote:

Wrong, there is both a HBO Now and HBO Go app. The Shields "lack of apps" has diminished in the last several months and it's getting more apps all the time. It's even getting a exclusive Vudu app with the next update.

This is why people that don't own a device shouldn't be talking about a device as though they know what the device is capable of.

The keyword you failed to pick up on was "in the UK". We are not able to utilise HBO and HBO go in the UK.

I own a shield and I don't regret buying it for one moment. Continual support (albeit somewhat slow) but it's the best hardware device out there.
(2016-05-28, 00:30)buxtonlad Wrote: The keyword you failed to pick up on was "in the UK". We are not able to utilise HBO and HBO go in the UK.

I own a shield and I don't regret buying it for one moment. Continual support (albeit somewhat slow) but it's the best hardware device out there.

No, what was said is "but it's crippled by the lack of apps, certainly in the UK". That was a general statement followed by a specific.

The specific statement may be true, but the general is less true.

Besides that my response was to NeoDuck, which again was a general statement, not based on regional limitations.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2016-05-28, 00:30)buxtonlad Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 22:00)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2016-05-26, 18:58)NeoDuck Wrote: Agree, there is not even an HBO Now app for it.

The keyword you failed to pick up on was "in the UK". We are not able to utilise HBO and HBO go in the UK.

You can ge those in the UK, you just need to use Google search and learn how to do it, using android. It is not the Shields fault that some apps use Geo block.
Nothing left in my right brain, Nothing right in my left brain :-P
there will always be people who believe the shield is a bad device simply because they do not know how to research and/or troubleshoot, but in reality it is still the best android player on the market even after a year being out
  • 96(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6