• 67(current)
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)
(2015-12-30, 18:50)wweich Wrote: The stuttering with 25fps videos can be corrected by using 25Hz instead of 50Hz most of the times, if your TV supports it.
If your TV does not support it, you will probably have less stuttering when using 60Hz for 25fps than 50Hz for now.
The change in Hz can be done in the advancedsettings.xml.

25Hz for 25fps:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <video>
    <adjustrefreshrate>
      <override>
        <fpsmin>24.99</fpsmin>
        <fpsmax>25.01</fpsmax>
        <refreshmin>24.99</refreshmin>
        <refreshmax>25.01</refreshmax>
      </override>
    </adjustrefreshrate>
  </video>
</advancedsettings>

60Hz for 25fps, same as above, but:
Code:
        <refreshmin>59.99</refreshmin>
        <refreshmax>60.01</refreshmax>

According to my observation, the Shield will output YCbCr 4:2:0 (or something like that) for interface (and videos, depending on the App, e.g. VLC) and 24Bit RGB limited for videos played in Kodi when MediaCodec (Surface) is used. The Kodi Interface, when not playing a video, is also YCbCr 4:2:0
This can be the reason, why you only have smashed blacks and whites with Kodi.

Gonna give it a try now!

Edit: It looks like forcing 25hz worked! Played around with hardware decoders, and not much different, also noticed quite a bit of banding with both MediaCodec on and off. I'm guessing colorspace output can't be changed with Kodi as it would need to be enabled in the hardware. I've opened a ticket with Nvidia regarding this.
Nvidia already posted, they will have a way to change the color space in a future OTA. (Although this post is from May Wink )

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...0/#4569490

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...1/#4549981
(2015-12-30, 19:15)wweich Wrote: Nvidia already posted, they will have a way to change the color space in a future OTA. (Although this post is from May Wink )

I suspect they'll probably wait until their Marshmallow update is done and send it with that. At least 25p content is watchable now though!

On a side note I just upgraded from my BoxeeBox and aside from the weird colorspace issues, I cannot believe this thing! The speed is incredible!
Hello again! Concerning the whole Kodi still rendering at 1080p, even in 4K thing: I noticed this also happening the other way round: if you're connected to a 720p display, Kodi still runs at 1080p and lets the Shield TV do the downscaling. How come? Does the Shield TV also force applications to run in 1080p if it is connected to a 720p display, just like it does when connected to a 4K display? And as this question remained unanswered: Wouldn't it be possible to let the user choose if he wants the Shield to do the upscaling or if he wants everything in Kodi displayed in 4K, not just videos?

Plus another thing: I can't get Kodi to connect with my boblightd server. I installed the Boblight client addon, but every time when I enable it, it tells me that it is missing the binary library, although the libboblight.so exists in /data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/libboblight.so... Somehow, it doesn't recognize this, again on Kodi 15.2 as well as 16 Nightlies.
Once I would be able to execute the Boblight addon, there would be the next problem: MediaCodec Surface causes Boblight not being able to access the picture (as discussed earlier in this thread). Wouldn't this be another argument for running Kodi in native 4K instead of using Media Codec Surface, as I would now have to take the normal Media Codec, which would result in a 1080p-only picture?
Anyway: Good slide into the new year to you all as we say it here in Germany.
Bigger issue then GUI resolution is general Shield colour space and quality issues.
Some people get good PQ others get average,
Hardware is not the issue, its firmware and Android.
Google should really have re-done Android TV for version 6. Made total re-haul of video output features and things you can change.
(2015-12-31, 02:37)Nekromantik Wrote: Bigger issue then GUI resolution is general Shield colour space and quality issues.
Some people get good PQ others get average,
Hardware is not the issue, its firmware and Android.
Google should really have re-done Android TV for version 6. Made total re-haul of video output features and things you can change.

Has nothing to do with Google, even with the Nexus Player they have to work with their hardware partners to fix the "washed out" color issue. So the PQ issue is most likely an issue on Nvidias end.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Aaand here's a paste of Kodi's log for the libboblight.so problem. Gets interesting around line 460: http://pastebin.com/dAG4jjum
Unfortunately, I can see nothing helpful. :/
(2015-12-31, 03:47)Danos Wrote: Aaand here's a paste of Kodi's log for the libboblight.so problem. Gets interesting around line 460: http://pastebin.com/dAG4jjum
Unfortunately, I can see nothing helpful. :/

Surely getting the lib from androidx86 is not correct for ShieldTV since that is arm based:
Code:
02:32:46 T:1684408704   DEBUG: ### [Kodi Boblight] - http://mirrors.kodi.tv/build-deps/addon-deps/binaries/libboblight/androidx86/libboblight.so.zip -> /data/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/libboblight.so
Installed on shield today and it's virtually unusable.sometimes kodi starts, sometimes a black screen followed by a white then nothing. Sometimes a confluence home screen but... It goes no further just a black screen on any option you choose. I guess I have something set wrong but I'm back using my pi2 as it just works!
Is there any way to access the info menu on Android TV, either with the remote or the gamepad?

I added a library that I want to remove, but I cannot do that because the menu isn't assigned to any key so now I'm stuck with it and Kodi has to scan something I don't want it to.

Same issue creates problems for music, because I cannot scan a music library I just added to create a music library.....

Please fix it, I can't believe something this essential isn't implemented.
(2015-12-31, 23:26)Avatarass Wrote: Is there any way to access the info menu on Android TV, either with the remote or the gamepad?

I added a library that I want to remove, but I cannot do that because the menu isn't assigned to any key so now I'm stuck with it and Kodi has to scan something I don't want it to.

Same issue creates problems for music, because I cannot scan a music library I just added to create a music library.....

The "Info" command has nothing to do with what you're asking; you want the "Context Menu".
I can't believe something so simple as a search hasn't been done to see the billion odd posts about how this feature has been implemented for the Remote, yet has existed since day one on the Controller.
(2015-12-31, 23:26)Avatarass Wrote: Is there any way to access the info menu on Android TV, either with the remote or the gamepad?

I have to use the blue "X" on the game controller. The harmony remote doesn't work yet. Harmony reports should be fixed mid 2015 Smile

I use "autostart" to boot directly to Kodi, although the home screen shows up for a few seconds.
This is the fastest version of Kodi I have ever seen. Nice little box.

The utility adbshied is very useful.
Would the two of you take a few minutes and actually read some pages in this thread instead of it having to be answered every few pages by people who want everything on a platter and can't be bothered to read the information already supplied to them; it has been covered multiple times.
(2016-01-01, 02:40)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Would the two of you take a few minutes and actually read some pages in this thread instead of it having to be answered every few pages by people who want everything on a platter and can't be bothered to read the information already supplied to them; it has been covered multiple times.

Or you could just say: download Jarvis Beta 4 (or a nightly) and manually install the apk. So much simpler! Smile

I did that and the long press on Select now brings up the Context Menu.
(2016-01-01, 15:43)ECEC Wrote:
(2016-01-01, 02:40)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: Would the two of you take a few minutes and actually read some pages in this thread instead of it having to be answered every few pages by people who want everything on a platter and can't be bothered to read the information already supplied to them; it has been covered multiple times.

Or you could just say: download Jarvis Beta 4 (or a nightly) and manually install the apk. So much simpler! Smile

• 67(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update)6