Linux Best Option for DTS-HD and Dolby HD
I recently purchased a sound system, and my tv does not support dts-hd or dolby hd output to the receiver via ARC.
I am looking at what is my cheapest option to play videos and netflix from some system (Does not have to be kodi or xbmc)
From what I have looked at I have found that the Raspberrypi doesn't support hd audio passthrough or output. So I am basically stuck building a small computer. Unless someone says otherwise.

Options:
All in Canadian
  1. ASUS CHROMEBOX ~ $210
  2. Custom AMD Mini ATX ~$230-240
  3. Gigabyte BRIX ~$130 + Harddrive and Ram
  4. Intel NUC ~$210 + Harddrive and Ram
  5. Huh??

So far I am leaning towards the custom AMD mini ATX.
Any other options? I was hoping to get something for around $100

Most of my movies are played from a mac that is connected with ethernet cables, and share the folders etc..(Hence linux options)
The raspberry pi2 will output HD audio. It won't bitstream but it converts it to pcm and outputs that which is still lossless the only thing you don't get is the dts-ma or truehd lights on your amplifier
Perfect. I don't care about the lights. Hopefully it runs it pretty decently, but being the size it is will be nice.
The pi2 runs really well make sure you use the openelec test builds for best results
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224025&page=62
(2015-05-29, 08:15)varsis Wrote: Perfect. I don't care about the lights. Hopefully it runs it pretty decently, but being the size it is will be nice.

Runs very well indeed - and has amazing support. It's the first Kodi platform with native 3D MVC decode + full-resolution frame packed 3D output for instance.

The Pi 2 does proper frame rate switching, has proper 23.976/59.94 as well as 24.00/60.00 and 25/50 output and very good SD deinterlacing. HD deinterlacing is also good (an advanced Bob) and gives full 50/60Hz motion on native interlaced sources. 8 channel PCM support with DTS-HD and Dolby True HD decoding in the test builds means you get lossless HD Audio decoded for 48/96kHz sound tracks (almost everything is 48kHz) and only 192kHz tracks are down sampled (the Pi and Pi 2 max out with 4.0 at 192kHz) The Pi 2 is also one of the few platforms (none - or very few - of the x86 includes it without extra hardware) with CEC support - which allows your Pi 2 to be controlled by your TV remote control over HDMI (if your TV has CEC) AND/OR your Pi 2 to control the volume control of a connected AV Amp. (The latter is really useful to me)

The Chromebox is a better general Kodi box IF you want HD Audio bitstreaming and higher quality deinterlacing (particularly for HD 1080i content). It's also a bit snappier in UI terms. However the Pi 2 does 3D (which some - but not lots - of people like) and is a lot cheaper, particularly if you already have the required bits and bobs that need to go with it. (PSU, cables, remote controls etc.)
Check out himedia q5 and m3 as well

edit: oops needs to be linux
(2015-05-29, 10:33)Skank Wrote: Check out himedia q5 and m3 as well

edit: oops needs to be linux

Doesn't "Need to be linux", I am just used to linux. Looking into a PI I am looking about ~80 with a case, adapter, sd card, HDMI Cable...
- Still need an IR sensor and remote. It looks like I can Use a standard IR and get some universal remote. ~5

looking at all in ~$85-90 in the end.

the q5 from what I read It will do everything I need. I just need to be able to access my desktop's hard drive via a mac shared folder.
If your TV has cec you don't need a remote for the pi as it will use the remote from your TV
(2015-05-29, 20:39)goujam Wrote: If your TV has cec you don't need a remote for the pi as it will use the remote from your TV

It will be going through my receiver which supports CEC. Thanks for the heads up!
So I found a pretty good deal on a used NUC box.

D34010WYK NUC
With 4gb of ram and a 30gb ssd drive.

He is asking $320 used. New is $330 for the NUC box only. (Online I found this price)

Is it worth the upgrade? Also what should I pay for something like this? $200? Since it is used.
MSI VESA-Mountable Mini PC Kit with Intel Celeron 3205U - $150 sometimes on sale for $109
Get a programmable FLIRC usb IR receiver for it and map any spare remote you have in your house to it.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=223406

This would be the best value option right now with some added ram and a ssd.
Has all the advantages of a Chromebox in addition to the next generation Broadwell Celeron for Hybrid (Hardware / Software) HEVC decoding.

The processor in the D34010WYK NUC is a 4th Generation Intel Core i3-4010U (Haswell). It will run Kodi very well. Its probably overkill just for Kodi use alone.

2nd hand goods should be half price IMHO, no matter what the initial cost. The risk of failure and no warranty is too great.

(2015-06-01, 04:56)wrxtasy Wrote: MSI VESA-Mountable Mini PC Kit with Intel Celeron 3205U - $150 sometimes on sale for $109
Get a programmable FLIRC usb IR receiver for it and map any spare remote you have in your house to it.

Has all the advantages of a Chromebox in addition to the next generation Broadwell Celeron for Hybrid (Hardware / Software) HEVC decoding.

The processor in the D34010WYK NUC is a 4th Generation Intel Core i3-4010U (Haswell). It will run Kodi very well. Its probably overkill just for Kodi use alone.

2nd hand goods should be half price IMHO, no matter what the initial cost. The risk of failure and no warranty is too great.

Couldn't find any of those for that price. Ended up getting the pi, a little disappointed in the ability to connect to a mac (It does work but with some hiccups ), via ethernet, and the lack of netflix but DTS is really nice!
(2015-06-03, 00:24)varsis Wrote:
(2015-06-01, 04:56)wrxtasy Wrote: MSI VESA-Mountable Mini PC Kit with Intel Celeron 3205U - $150 sometimes on sale for $109

Couldn't find any of those for that price. Ended up getting the pi, a little disappointed in the ability to connect to a mac (It does work but with some hiccups ), via ethernet, and the lack of netflix but DTS is really nice!

I use NFS to connect my Mac to my Pi 2 running OpenElec for some situations. NFS Manager for OS X could be worth a look? (Most of the time I'm using SMB/CIFS to connect to an unRAID server)
(2015-06-03, 00:29)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 00:24)varsis Wrote:

I use NFS to connect my Mac to my Pi 2 running OpenElec for some situations. NFS Manager for OS X could be worth a look? (Most of the time I'm using SMB/CIFS to connect to an unRAID server)

Thats what I ended up doing, but for some reason it didn't work in the morning until I reset the pi plus some time. Some connection issue? Everything is wired, and reserved ip for the server. In the end it just started working all of a sudden.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Option for DTS-HD and Dolby HD0