Mount external drives only when using Kodi
Is there any way to do this
I don't need my drives running and making noise when they're not being used
I don't know of an easy way to do this. OS X is just kind of an a-hole about accessing drives when it doesn't need to.
Jumbo - My Kodi setup doesn't access my networked connected drives when it doesn't need to. I've connected my WD MyBook to my Router and setup my movie library through Kodi connecting using SMB. It only connects when updating the library with new media, fan art, or playing. Not sure of your setup.

I use a Mac Mini with OSX 10.10 (Yosemite).

Thanks
I believe he's talking about locally connected drives, such as USB.
Im using usb drives. my router is old and doesn't have usb support. I don't wanna spend $$$ on a new router
If i got a USB adapter it would work but the drives would be on all the time.
It shouldn't be hard as long as you intend to quit and relaunch Kodi when you say 'using Kodi'. It would just involve writing a script in whatever you want and in it, issue commands to mount and unmount drives as required. You can execute scripts using the Kodi addon to launch user scripts.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(2015-06-03, 06:03)activate Wrote: It would just involve writing a script in whatever you want and in it, issue commands to mount and unmount drives as required. You can execute scripts using the Kodi addon to launch user scripts.
On my system (Mac Mini (late 2012), OS X 10.10.3) the external drives spin up again after being unmounted for a while. At least the FireWire drives, do.
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
(2015-06-03, 11:08)Brian OBlivion Wrote:
(2015-06-03, 06:03)activate Wrote: It would just involve writing a script in whatever you want and in it, issue commands to mount and unmount drives as required. You can execute scripts using the Kodi addon to launch user scripts.
On my system (Mac Mini (late 2012), OS X 10.10.3) the external drives spin up again after being unmounted for a while. At least the FireWire drives, do.

Maybe the disk manager software for the external drive can help with sleeping.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

You could use the app mountain, it has some more controls, with an interface and some nice settings depending on the mounted share.

see
http://appgineers.de/mountain
How to post a debug log ; MacOS acces the hidden userdata folder ; How to post a question ; How to fix gatekeeper issues
I solved this problem with a small AppleScript on my MacMini and replaced my Kodi Icon with it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mount external drives only when using Kodi0