• 9(current)
Linux Debian 8.0 Jessie on RaspBerry Pi 2, how to get Kodi running and how to compile it?
ok. I'll try to keep this thread on Kodi on RPi2 With Debian Jessie up to date.
@Thomas did you do some change to my image?
@m_o_d: i did not use your image at all. I set up and compiled myself. How is your add-ons working on your compile. My Kodi compilation is working nicely with some Addons (Apple ITunes Video PodCasts, Sundance TV,..) but is not working at all with others (YouTube, Internet Archive, Netzkino.de,....). I still try to find out the reason for this. The ad-ons that are not working seem to get stuck when trying to open streams.
@Thomas: unfortunately recently I did not do anything. Back to the topic after returning from vacation
@m_o_d: i have posted all my progress in this thread. if you want to catch up just take the time to read it...
I've had success in building Kodi 15.1 Isengard for Raspbian Jessie by adapting an archlinuxarm pkgbuild file for kodi-rbp.

You can take a look and use the script that I made - it's not perfect but with some tinkering it did the job.

To make the deb I used the checkinstall program and dpkg-deb, so before running it do:

sudo apt-get install -y devscripts debhelper checkinstall

Here is the script:

https://github.com/iugamarian/raspberryp...siekodideb

Good luck !
(2015-06-20, 20:15)Thomas Korimort Wrote: ok. I'll try to keep this thread on Kodi on RPi2 With Debian Jessie up to date.

(2015-06-21, 01:20)m_o_d Wrote: @Thomas: unfortunately recently I did not do anything. Back to the topic after returning from vacation

Dear
@Thomas @m_o_d
I am trying to install XBMC or KODI on Debian Jessie 8.1 of Sjoerd Simons for exactly same reasons of you.
From this this thread I understand both of you have succeeded installing kodi on jessie 8 about half a year ago.

What is the present situation of your work? Are you happy with the result?
@Thomas I appreciate very much if you state here "a short how to" about the installation of you.

@m_o_d I'm downloading your image. Will inform about my test soon.

Thank you for your efforts.
Murat
Hello Murad!

As for the time being, you simply can install RaspBian. It supports now update to Debian Jessie via "apt-get". It has also includes XBMC/Kodi in the distro, which should work out of the box. If you experience issues with Kodi on Raspberry Pi 2, the problem is maybe that your Raspi is too far away from your WLAN router. In my case even from the Debian Jessie distro i got XBMC never to stream nicely in my old home. It was working perfectly, but only streaming was bad. According to my investigation that turned out to be simply problem of network connectivity. WLAN has very bad reach. If your router for example is not on the same floor like your Raspi this will decrease already the signal quality a lot. You can do some network test and look how many packages are lost. (iwconfig,...). In my case someone pointed me in some thread in the Raspberry forum to the fact, that my Raspberry is loosing too much packages and therefore was never excelling 2 Mbit/s in the WLAN homenetwork. Also sometimes internet providers seem to block the traffic of certain Kodi addons.

Reference to banned add-on (wiki) removed - DarrenHill

If you buy any of those HDMI connected 40 EURO Android PCs, that have Kodi like Andoer devices, you are also always going to have troubles. I think such devices are blocked by many internetproviders and maybe also easily hacked, because they provide cheap solutions that should not be there according to the people who produce TV sets for thousands of EUROs. Currently my own internet service provider is battling against me because of such an issue. Otherwise my Andoer MK809IV device can nicely stream HD streams and Kodi is working perfectly on that device apart from the fact that many modules seem to be blocked, broken or obsolete. I have the proof that my Andoer device is able in my current network setting to stream HD from the internet, but still strange conditions come upon that device..

Currently i am using my RaspPi 2 B as print server and i have attached a USB HD which i am running on Samba and sharing in my windows network. For music streaming it is working nicely, but for streaming high resolution pictures from my 16 MP camera it needs still ten seconds to load one JPEG of 5 MB size from the USB harddisk which is connected to my RaspBerry Pi 2. Thus i assume that the Edimax WLAN adapter, that i use is rubbish or there is some driver problem with Linux itself or with the Samba server resp. miniDLNA server. But i am still happy to have at least one Linux device in my home network for extending my Linux skills. In my new flat the router is very close to my devices and HD and internet is generally very fast on all my devices but homenetwork speeds still seem to suck and be far away from 802.11n standard.

I hope i could help you,

many greetings Thomas.
@Thomas Korimort - you've been here long enough to know the forum rules (wiki) - do not refer people to banned add-ons (wiki). Your whole post came very close to being binned.

ISPs only block access to illegal media, so any such affected add-on will be one that violates the rules and is not to be discussed or promoted here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
@ta1db because I use a few (8) equipment installed within the familyit was easier to use OSMC.

Like folks from OSMC told they use debian so you can use it like normal system.
There are of course bugs (last update changed libcec symlink) but its easier prepare 9 OSMC sd-card.
(2016-03-29, 13:03)m_o_d Wrote: @ta1db because I use a few (8) equipment installed within the familyit was easier to use OSMC.

Like folks from OSMC told they use debian so you can use it like normal system.
There are of course bugs (last update changed libcec symlink) but its easier prepare 9 OSMC sd-card.

You can either disable updates; or even contribute to get these bugs fixed. We usually fix them in quite a timely manner though (libCEC symlink was resolved in < 1 hour).

If those 9 installations are remote I would recommend disabling updates and doing them manually via SSH if, and only if, they are needed so you can avoid any disappointment
@Thomas thank you very much for your kind and helpful answer and for the valuable information provided. I will try Raspbian.

@m_o_d I've installed your image easily, it booted very fast.. first I thought it is a full image with xmbc/kodi installed but realized that it is an "install ready" image with modified sources.list and with rpi-update. I am trying to discover what other modifications you've made to Sjoerd Simons' original. Maybe you can make a comment. By the way I realize now you've already made some descriptions on your post #82. Thank you again.

update: realized that the code section 1 in post #77 is fully applied in the provided image, furthermore all the dependencies in code section 2 are also installed and regarding the symlinks in code section 2 the necessary files are already included in both sides of the links and therefore ( I guess ) there is no need for symlinks either !!!
Also the collabora repositories' flash kernel is pinned.

So, anybody interested in compiling Kodi 15.2 on Debian Jessie 8 (or 8.1) can start from the code section 3 in post #77 with m_o_d's image.
..further to my above post #132:

since the "install ready" image of m_o_d has been prepared for KODI version 15.2 we need to start with
#wget https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/archieve/15...ard.tar.gz
#tar -zxvf 15.2-Isengard.tar.gz
#cd xbmc-15.2-Isengard

then, instead of making a script you may continue from command line as I did

#./bootstrap
#CFLAGS=.. (copy from code section 3 in post #77 without the : at the end)
#CXXFLAGS= .
#LDLFLAGS= ...
#FFMPEG_OPTS=...
#./configure ....

here you may consider changing the prefix. it is unnecessarily long and the "date-time" inclusion may cause some problems as it did to me ( I started the make before 24 o'clock make terminated for some reason then I continued make after 24 o'clock with day change and the result was 2 different file sets etc..
Furthermore when I ran kodi I got "unable to find path to Kodi data files!" error so before going further I recommend to consider the prefix and the paths here!
Anyway I didn't change the prefix.
If you got installation without any error and warning continue to next step ( warnings are also indications of possible problems in next steps)

#make

before starting make stop all the other processes. I was using htop to see the running processes and make terminated 2 -3 times probably for this reason. You may also try parallel execution option of make like make -j2 or -j3, -j4. (I didn't try yet) Note that -j1 is unnecessary because the default is already 1
If make terminates for some reason (internal error) as it happened to me a few times, simply restart make.
If you got make finish without error then,

#make install

since I didn't change the install prefix in ./configure I got "unable to find path to kodi data files!" error and for this reason I started kodi with showing where my data files are stored as below (this is simple solution, experienced persons may find more elegant solutions):

#KODI_HOME=/usr/local/kodi/git-YYYYMMDD-HHmm/share/kodi /usr/local/kodi/git-YYYYMMDD-HHmm/bin/kodi-standalone -- -nocursor :0

here YYYMMDD-HHmm is date and time of your actual installation.

Kodi works without problem furthermore it is possible to exit kodi simply from its menu and go back to terminal screen and do whatever else you want easily (this is what many persons want to do). Now I will try to install a web browser.

thank you @m_o_d
got tha same:

pi@raspberrypi:~/xbmc $ make install
Copying kodi binary to /home/pi/local/lib/kodi/
install: cannot stat ‘kodi-xrandr’: No such file or directory
Makefile:514: recipe for target 'install-binaries' failed
make: *** [install-binaries] Error 1

trying to install...any ides? can it be fix, witout wipe the memery cardSmile

EDIT: it kodi 17
Hi,
@berne88 paste full log
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Debian 8.0 Jessie on RaspBerry Pi 2, how to get Kodi running and how to compile it?0