Desperate for help installing Kodibuntu
Hi,

I am trying (unsuccessfully) to install Kodibuntu onto an Intel NUC.

Background?
I'm mainly windows-based, but I wanted to install Kodi on a non-windows OS to reduce the bloat. I stream all content from a media server running UnRAID. I initially installed Openelec which worked well but there is a Control4 driver issue and it was recommended that I switch to Kodibuntu.

I followed the instructions on the Kodibuntu area of the wiki, but they've not worked. I wanted to put Kodibuntu onto a USB drive, and then use that to install onto the SSD on the NUC.

I downloaded the latest iso (14 Helix), then I downloaded LinuxLive USB Creater (as per the instructions). During setting up LinuxLive I found the instructions a little vague - especially around persistence - I wasn't sure if I needed that or not. Anyway, I set up my USB drive first without persistence, and then later (when it didn't work) I tried the install WITH around 1Gb of persistence, but the install failed on both occasions.

I plugged the USB flash drive into the NUC and booted up. I entered the NUC's BIOS to ensure it booted from the USB flash drive. After a few moments a page appeared with some options, one of which was INSTALL. I selected this. After a few moments I had a screen with a blue background and an off-white 'window' with nothing on it but one button labelled 'Continue'. I selected that and then waited. After around 10 minutes nothing had changed. I left it for a further 5 minutes and then decided it had failed and switched it off. I used LinuxLive to reformat the USB drive, but this time I allowed some space for persistence and tried again. Got exactly the same result when I tried to install.

I have NO idea where to go from here. I went from having a working NUC with Openelec installed (I just couldn't control it with our automation system) to a deadweight box.

When I installed Openelec I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the installation went. With Kodibuntu I'm floundering in the dark.

Anyone who can help me.....I'm all ears!
Well I can say you don't need persistence, although it shouldn't hurt.

The kodibuntu installer does seem to give a lot of problems, there are threads all over here about it.

Make sure the USB checks out and hasn't been corrupted. There should be an option to check the USB contents from that same menu where you chose "install".

I have also found that in some ubuntu versions, running the "Live" option and then running the installer from the live desktop works better.

I saw your other thread and it seems control4 are copping out - do you have a reference to what they think the problem actually is with openelec?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah, it is annoying. Especially after seeing how easy Openelec was to install. Here's the response my C4 dealer got from the driver developer...

People have reported issues with Intel nucs running openelec. The issue appears that port 9090 (the JSON-RPC port) stops responding to commands after a period of time. These dealers have found that changing KODI platforms have resolved the issue. They have switched from openelec to KODIbuntu

In any case, for the moment I'm between OS's until I can get this resolved. I did see another thread here...

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=214452

The thread author managed to identify the problem as being the Kodibuntu installer isn't so good at installing onto a drive that's already been set up. However, I tried installing Ubuntu (just to try and fix the partition issue mentioned in that thread) but encountered other issues with lots of graphical glitches - in some ways they are similar issues to the Kodibuntu installer - i.e. - a large space with only one or two buttons showing, and no other information. When that didn't work I did manage to get into the Ubuntu Live desktop, which appeared OK until I tried clicking on some icons. Some of the buttons had rollover text that was unreadable. I have the NUC connected to the monitor via HDMI at 1920x1080 resolution, but I wouldn't have thought that could cause the graphical issues I'm seeing.
Which NUC is it? The ubuntu and/or kodibuntu isos should have pretty up to date intel graphics drivers.

You could try a server or minimal install and add kodi etc.

That port 9090 business sounds like a cop out though. I have never had a problem with openelec stopping to respond to external control.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well. I don't think Control4 is the problem at installing Kodibuntu, as it seems Control4 will jump in "after" Kodibuntu is installed. So installing Kodibuntu should work at least on an Intel NUC .

I installed it very fine and often on my Intel based HTPC and with an UnRaid NAS in the background, and I did some additions to the Wiki for Kodibuntu as well. Unfortunately I'm not a dev so I hope wsnipex will have a look here and maybe he's able to clear things up. Which NUC is it exactly?

If everything fails, you can follow this step-by-step guide to install minimal ubuntu. I did it and it works and I use this actually. Fritsch keeps this thread up to date if something relevant changes, so I would recommend to read the first posting completely before starting.

But I really don't get why Kodibuntu doesn't boot. You can try different usb creators. I used unetbootin and created the stick under windows. Maybe you could try the installation using the "fixed dpi option" (don't know how it is actually called) and see if that helps
Nickr,

NUC5i5RYK is the model number. It's not top of the line, but it's plenty powerful. It has an i5 processor, 8Gb RAM, and 180Gb SSD.

Also, I agree with you - it's a Control4 cop out. But if we're already running Control4 throughout the house and their developer can't be bothering fixing his sloppy code, what can I do? That's the ONLY reason I jumped ship from running Openelec and attempted to install KODIbuntu.

David1977,

It does boot, but doesn't get very far through the installation phase before I get effectively a blank off-white rectangle on the screen with one sole 'continue' button on it. It's almost like the remaining graphics on the page couldn't be rendered.

When I tried to install Ubuntu Live to see if that would install I got the same kind of error happening. (I only wanted to take the Ubuntu install just far enough through so I could delete the SSD's partition and maybe format it with ext3 or ext4 - no joy.

I've tried a couple of USB creators - Linux Live USB Creator, and Universl USB installer - both got the same issues. You mentioned following "this step-by-step guide". Which one were you referring to?
ooopsss...forgotten the link Wink

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165707
Hi,
I had a similar problem with an install of Gotham and I eventually found a post that suggested removing the network cable as this was what was stalling the install, I tried it and it installed correctly.
the installation progress requires an internet connection. So removing the network cable is not really a good idea Wink
(2015-05-30, 22:54)David1977 Wrote: the installation progress requires an internet connection. So removing the network cable is not really a good idea Wink

It doesn't actually.
Hi,

Thanks very much for providing that link.

However, I may not have mentioned it, but I'm a total Linux noob. Those instructions were WAY over my head. I'm going to go back to my dealer to see what he can do for me. I'm reluctant to go to Windows because of the sheer size (bloat), but it may come to that.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. It's great to see people willing to share their knowledge.
Several suggestions made and not tried.
In my defence,

Just because I didn't mention them, doesn't mean I didn't try them.
(2015-05-30, 22:54)David1977 Wrote: the installation progress requires an internet connection. So removing the network cable is not really a good idea Wink

well it didn't stop mine :-) was it different for Gothan?
I'm back!

Something finally clicked in my mind about this. I needed some space to think (not been sleeping well over the last week or so, but that's a different story).

I was hunting around Youtube looking for people installing various versions of Kodi onto an Intel NUC, and I found a video of a guy installing an older version of Kodibuntu (XBMCbuntu) onto his NUC. Anyway, he got to the first screen (which is the installer method screen - a 'greenscreen' style thing where you choose whether to install it, or try it out without installing it) and chose to install it. The NEXT screen was what I'd consider to be the first true installer screen. Here, there was a 'windows-like' window with a Welcome message, and a sub-window listing all the different languages you could choose from, a quit button, a grayed-out back, button and a continue button.

When I looked at that I recognized the continue button from my own installation experience and noted that, when I tried to install Kodibuntu, there were NO OTHER GRAPHICAL elements on the window at all. All I saw was the continue button. No languages were listed, none of the other buttons were there. THAT'S why I was so confused! It didn't make any sense to have effectively a blank screen with a continue button on it!

In the video the next screen had some preliminary checklists before proceeding to install Ubuntu and, again, in my experience (after clicking the continue button without knowing what was going on) no other graphical elements were on the screen. The same thing with every subsequent screen after that. I can't make the right installation choices if I can't see what to choose!

After seeing how the installation was SUPPOSED to work, I now understand why my own experience was so different.

One more thing, the last time I tried using the flash drive, I selected 'Live Mode', and the NUC booted into Kodi (running from the flash drive) without any issues.

So, I could run Kodi from the flash drive, but I get graphical anomalies if I try to install from the flash drive.

Weirder and weirder....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Desperate for help installing Kodibuntu0