Nvidia Shield Android TV test builds
The Nvidia Shield Android TV being the first "high-end" Android TV device, it deserves a bit more attention.
You'll find in this thread test builds developed on this device, but for functionalities available on generic Android 5.0+.

*** Warning: This is a development thread and it will be heavily moderated. Only posts related to the test builds will be accepted. Bug reports MUST contain a debug log. All non-pertinent posts will be deleted w/o warning ***

For generic discussion on the hardware, go http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=220297
For support, go http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158

Additional functionalities vs. standard build:
* refreshrate switcher (in master)
* proper audio focus (in master)
* 4K support (in master)
* (not working HD audio)

Latest test build : regular nightly builds

Changelog:
2015/06/13:
* rebased on master
* stop playback when in background and other app request audio access
2015/06/11:
* rebased on master
2015/06/08:
* revert not working hda
* proper android audio focus
2015/05/31:
* re-Fix framerate switching Wink
2015/05/31:
* re-Fix 4K
* Implement android audio focus to solce the "deafening sound" effect
2015/05/31:
* Hopefully fixed refresh rate switcher
Refresh rating switching appears to working again with this build.

I'm still having some audio issues.

Also, is there any way to add Refresh Rate to the Video Output system settings?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-05-31, 13:02)Tinwarble Wrote: I'm still having some audio issues.
Probably the usual AVR incompatibilities due to the "hacky" way android handles our passthrough. Does it work with other droid boxes for you?
Works for me, btw.

(2015-05-31, 13:02)Tinwarble Wrote: Also, is there any way to add Refresh Rate to the Video Output system settings?
I don't understand what you mean.
Thanks Koying. How do I write over the previous build? With Fire TV, I'd do an adb install -r kodi_build.apk, but not sure how with Shield.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
Same, as all android devices.
TAB/SBS 3D movies have an odd issue where they are upscaled to 4K on a 1080p display, if I have the mode on "original size" I get two zoomed in images on the top and bottom. It says it is zooming 2.01 but even backing that back to 1 doesn't fix the problem. Its hit or miss with the issue, but all of my TAB files played fine before.

I'll take some screen shots of the issue in a little bit.
(2015-05-31, 17:40)jmcguire525 Wrote: I'll take some screen shots of the issue in a little bit.
And log...
(2015-05-31, 13:55)Koying Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 13:02)Tinwarble Wrote: I'm still having some audio issues.
Probably the usual AVR incompatibilities due to the "hacky" way android handles our passthrough. Does it work with other droid boxes for you?
Works for me, btw.

Yes, it the same issue as with other boxes. Kodi will switch the decoder on my AVR from DTS to DD and back but only if I start a movie and manually switch the decoder to DTS then back to Auto. As long as nothing changes then I don't have any issues. But if the refresh rate changes or I go out of Kodi then back into it, it's broken again.

I thought that it was an issue with going from PCM to DTS/DD, but if I get the decoding working I can also go from an MP3 audio track to DTS/DD. So what ever keeps it from automatically switching it seems to be from what Kodi does initially.

But that's not all that I was talking about. Multi-channel PCM also has issues, the volume is way too low (about 17db lower than pass-through) and appears that channel separation is off.

(2015-05-31, 13:55)Koying Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 13:02)Tinwarble Wrote: Also, is there any way to add Refresh Rate to the Video Output system settings?
I don't understand what you mean.

So you can set the static refresh rate of Kodi. OE on my Chromebox has this option and I was wondering if it could be added to Android. Don''t know if that is an OE specific thing, but the settings is under Settings/System/Video Output.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-05-31, 21:29)Tinwarble Wrote: So you can set the static refresh rate of Kodi. OE on my Chromebox has this option and I was wondering if it could be added to Android. Don''t know if that is an OE specific thing, but the settings is under Settings/System/Video Output.

I think I get it. I was toying around with setting that (on the Chromebox) to 23.976 because most of the tv shows (and all the movies besides like 10 documentaries) are that refresh rate. That only leaves live tv at 59.94. So it would reduce refresh rate switching. The problem was it felt too choppy at ~24hz and there was no motion blur in the animations so it is noticable.
(2015-05-31, 18:04)Koying Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 17:40)jmcguire525 Wrote: I'll take some screen shots of the issue in a little bit.
And log...

First time trying this, let me know if this is correct or I need to take other steps.

http://pastebin.com/834cRQfb

watch gallery
(2015-05-31, 21:37)drhill Wrote: I think I get it. I was toying around with setting that (on the Chromebox) to 23.976 because most of the tv shows (and all the movies besides like 10 documentaries) are that refresh rate. That only leaves live tv at 59.94. So it would reduce refresh rate switching. The problem was it felt too choppy at ~24hz and there was no motion blur in the animations so it is noticable.

It shouldn't reduce the refresh rate switching. I miss spoke anyway, it doesn't set the refresh rate to a static setting, it just sets the default refresh rate.

If you set it to 24 or 23.98 it will default to that instead of 60, but it still allows it to changes to 60, 30, or what ever during video playback if you still have the adjust to display refresh rate set.

The biggest thing with using that is that since most movies are 23.976 it keeps it from constantly having to switch refresh rates when you go back to the UI. On a side note, it also partially helps with my audio pass-through issue.
Yes that is what I was saying. But the Kodi UI looks choppy at 24/23.98 and not smooth as it does at 60hz for obvious reasons.
Im interessted about the 24hz pulldown you guys are talking about... what is the option called and under what menu is it? Want to be ready when my shield arives.
(2015-05-31, 22:24)drhill Wrote: Yes that is what I was saying. But the Kodi UI looks choppy at 24/23.98 and not smooth as it does at 60hz for obvious reasons.

Yep, but I'm less concerned about the choppiness of the UI than playback and having to mess with my audio settings all the time. Wink

And the beauty of having the setting is that you can choose to leave it at 60 or change it to something else.
(2015-05-31, 16:19)Koying Wrote: Same, as all android devices.
ADB not working for me as with Fire TV. Via Windows command prompt, did adb connect <nVidia IP>, but doesn't work. I get a "Unable to connected to IP:5555" error. Have you guys been able to connect successfully via ADB? If so, can you explain steps? Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia Shield Android TV test builds1