VDR on Pi2
Hi,

my Pi2 is finally on its way (better later then never). I wonder if you have any experience with running vdr on a Pi2:

- are HD channels working fine?
- what deinterlacing is the Pi2 capable with Kodi or Openelec, and does it work on 1080i live tv content fine?

Case 1: Pi2 running OE, with VDR backend and VNSI from official OE repository
Case 2: Pi2 running Minibian with Kodi (or OE) and accessing vdr backend on local lan with vnsi-server

Would prefer to use Minibian as it would allow me more customizations, but it looks that OE pi2 builds are very nicely optimized and perhaps would get better results out of it.
I would ask this in the pi section of the forum. Akaik the pi has already advanced deinterlacing but not sure if it can cope with 1080i. running vdr on the pi should be no problem
You are probably correct, I should have posted this in pi section. But most of the users do not understand VDR in other forums...

Anyway, the pi2 is on the way to me, I will be able to confirm my own question within a week or so. Will try and see how it works and report back here.
Pi/Pi2 has advanced deinterlace (similar to yadif2) for DVD resolution and simpler (bob) deinterlace for 1080i.
Both deinterlace schemes support double rate (e.g. 60fps) output.
(2015-06-09, 13:07)popcornmix Wrote: Pi/Pi2 has advanced deinterlace (similar to yadif2) for DVD resolution and simpler (bob) deinterlace for 1080i.
Both deinterlace schemes support double rate (e.g. 60fps) output.

Thanks! It sound very interesting, hw bob for 1080i on this little device sounds amazing!
Just can't wait to try out DVB-S2Smile

Something I wanted to ask for long time, but always forgot: do any of you know what deinterlacing method is used in enigma2 based receivers, like the DM500HD?
In terms of quality, how does they compare to for example. BOB?
Finally the Pi2 arrived and I had just a little time to check things, but I installed latest OE stable, vdr-vnsi pvr client, connected to my server running vdr, and tested the channels. It is perfect, 1080i50 is excellent! I watched a few minutes of soccer and although deinterlacing was not as perfect as with the nVidia, but it was nearly perfect, average users wouldn't even notice the difference. Soccer is good for testing, as it is really annoying with fast movement and the result and time panel when deinterlacing is not good enough. And basically I watch soccer more then a lot:) so if that is good, everything is good:)

First impressions with the Pi2 are amazing. I will do a lot more testing, but never thought it can cope with HD channels like this. Next thing is to check when vdr-server is installed on the Pi2, and the USB dvb-s2 card connected to Pi2, so without the server.

At this stage, I would easily recommend for most of the "average" people the pi2 as a main htpc client. I will go with the new Intel Braswell board as they are truly amazing, but Pi2 is excellent secondary client and like I said, most of the people won't even notice the quality difference. They just don't care, and most of the people have fancy but crappy LCD tv's. I base this on my experience with 2014 model middle category LCDs compared to my quite old Panasonic plasma that is 720p!!! The picture quality on the Panasonic plasma is so much better then on every LCD I see, that it is even visible for those who don't really know what to look for. Except my friends how use dynamic contrast and they say that the colors on my plasma are not so vivid and they are dark:)) I don't argue with them, no reason:)
Thanks for sharing your experience here.
I thought to give some feedback here, although these are really just the first impressions, at to me VDR was basically the most important thing, that is, live TV. We know pi2 is great with 720p and 1080p.

FernetMenta: should I report back once I tested some other ways of using Pi2 with VDR here or it would be better to move from now to the pi section?
If it is VDR related it fits into this section. If you decide to open a thread in the Pi section please reference the thread here.
Just a short update regarding live tv with VDR backend and Pi2: few days ago a I watched a soccer game and my initial excitement regarding the deinterlacing quality of Pi2 on 1080i50 were, well, too excited. It is not good enough in terms of quality. Nothing is smooth enough, especially compared to my ION board.
It might be that it is due to a not proper setting in Kodi, didn't had time to check, will report back on this. Anyway, the ION is doing a perfect job on 1080i50 deinterlacing.
An update for those who use Rpi2 for live tv: an amazing job is done in terms of deinterlacing for 1080i50&60, try the new dev build from Milhouse, based on Kodi 16.0. It is really amazing quality, brings whole new dimension to Rpi2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VDR on Pi20