How to access Xbian partition?
Hi all,

I've installed xbian on RPi.

I want to edit the files in my SD card using my computer, whether on Windows 7 or Ubuntu 14.04.

However, when I insert the SD card, the Ubuntu cannot mount the Xbian partition, and gives the following error:

and when I type
Code:
dmesg | tail
, it gives the following:

Now what should I do to access the contents of xbian partition on SD card!?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. The reason I want to have access to the contents of my SD card using PC is that my xbian has frozen (black screen on boot) and I don't have backup of my files!!

P.P.S. Can I ssh into a frozen xbian using PuTTY? If yes, what is the default IP address!!!?
You may be able to SSH in depending on how frozen it is. The default IP address depends on your router; login to that to see.
(2015-06-05, 16:19)doug Wrote: You may be able to SSH in depending on how frozen it is. The default IP address depends on your router; login to that to see.

Thanks @doug for your reply.

What do you mean by router!!?
As I know, to do SSH, I should connect my laptop to RPi with an Ethernet cable. Correct?
So where is router? and how should I log in to router/RPi while it is frozen !!?
We're assuming you've connected your Pi to a network router (aka gateway, wireless access point etc.) which has issued your Pi with an IP address. If this isn't the case you'll need to explain your setup in a little more detail.

Normally you should be able to connect to the web interface of the router and determine the IP addresses that have been issued by the DHCP server - one of them should be for your Pi. Alternatively, try to connect using ssh to every IP address in turn, starting at the beginning of your DHCP IP address range, until you connect to your Xbian Pi.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-06-05, 17:09)Milhouse Wrote: We're assuming you've connected your Pi to a network router (aka gateway, wireless access point etc.) which has issued your Pi with an IP address. If this isn't the case you'll need to explain your setup in a little more detail.

Normally you should be able to connect to the web interface of the router and determine the IP addresses that have been issued by the DHCP server - one of them should be for your Pi. Alternatively, try to connect using ssh to every IP address in turn, starting at the beginning of your DHCP IP address range, until you connect to your Xbian Pi.

Thank you very much @Milhouse for all your help and time. I do really appreciate it.

Actually, all I have is the following:

- RPi B+
- TV
- Laptop
- Ethernet Cable
- HDMI Cable

I thought that SSH is only via connecting RPi to laptop with an ethernet cable. I didn't know that a router is needed as well.

Ok. I have an ADSL modem. Can I use it !!? (it has only one ethernet port!! and it is NOT wireless.)
You need to connect to the RPi with an ethernet cable to use SSH. The RPi also needs to be allocated with an IP address, you normally use a DHCP server for this, unless you allocated the RPi a static IP address. It's possible (somehow) you could connect to the RPi from the laptop with only an ethernet cable between the laptop and RPi, but I think it unlikely in this case.

The ADSL modem is unlikely to be suitable.

It looks like your best bet is to mount the Xbian partition, but as I don't use Xbian I can't offer you much more help. You might get more attention by posting in the Xbian Forum.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-06-05, 17:35)Milhouse Wrote: You need to connect to the RPi with an ethernet cable to use SSH. The RPi also needs to be allocated with an IP address, you normally use a DHCP server for this, unless you allocated the RPi a static IP address. It's possible (somehow) you could connect to the RPi from the laptop with only an ethernet cable between the laptop and RPi, but I think it unlikely in this case.

The ADSL modem is unlikely to be suitable.

It looks like your best bet is to mount the Xbian partition, but as I don't use Xbian I can't offer you much more help. You might get more attention by posting in the Xbian Forum.

Thanks a billion for your great and quick replies @Milhouse.

Yes, you're right. I should find a way to mount the xbian partition on Ubuntu.

I had no problem mounting the raspbian partition, as they were probably ext4. But the xbian partition is probably btrfs and I don't know how to mount it!
Any solution for mounting btrfs partition on Ubuntu?
Do you connect that laptop to the ADSL modem wirelessly or with a cable? If wireless, then you may be able connect your RPi to the ADSL modem with a cable and SSH in that way. You could look at your laptop IP address and your RPi IP address would likely be one higher (or possibly lower) assuming you don't have other laptops, tablets, phones connecting wirelessly.
deleted, as I didn't read the previous posts properly
Derek
Have you installed btrfs-tools? They may be needed.
(2015-06-05, 23:40)doug Wrote: Do you connect that laptop to the ADSL modem wirelessly or with a cable? If wireless, then you may be able connect your RPi to the ADSL modem with a cable and SSH in that way. You could look at your laptop IP address and your RPi IP address would likely be one higher (or possibly lower) assuming you don't have other laptops, tablets, phones connecting wirelessly.

Thanks @doug for your reply.

Unfortunately my modem is not wireless. And it has only one ethernet port!

But fortunately, I found a way to connect laptop and RPi directly via an ethernet cable, using DHCP and PuTTY, as described here.

But I haven't tested it yet! Tongue
(2015-06-06, 11:09)shadow Wrote: Have you installed btrfs-tools? They may be needed.

Thank you @shadow for your point.

I installed btrfs-tools, but it didn't help.

It seems that due to LZ4 compression of BTRFS file format in Xbian, the only solution to access this partition is through another Xbian machine !!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to access Xbian partition?0