WebP Image Support
Hi,

i converted my whole image libraries to WebP some month ago to save space and it would be nice to get them watchable using Kodi. However, even if i add .webp to pictureextensions in advancedsettings.xml all i get is a black screen.

Tried on 14.2 Windows and OpenELEC.

https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/

Thank you,
Hawk
How much space did you save?
most likely around 30%.

But webp isn't supported . However, adding decoding support should be easy. Probably only activating it's extension since the needed dependencies already support webp for a long time.
(2015-06-10, 16:11)Robotica Wrote: Probably only activating it's extension since the needed dependencies already support webp for a long time.

I just tried that. They are listed by the file browser then but aren't decoded.
(2015-06-10, 16:11)Robotica Wrote: But webp isn't supported . However, adding decoding support should be easy. Probably only activating it's extension since the needed dependencies already support webp for a long time.

Never assume a change is easy without knowing the codebase inside out, it's not helpful to the conversation and it can trigger a bit of hostility sometimes.

AFAIK we have our own imagelib and I haven't seen any webp support in it, adding support would likely require a fair bit of work.

What dependencies are you referring to that already has the support needed?
The janitor, cleaner of cruft, defender of style. Also known as the unfunny guy that doesn't understand signatures.
I think he was referring to ffmpeg.

How big is this "fair bit of work". Has it a real chance? Can i support in any way?
the way to do this is to add a ffmpeg based image loader. you then get webp and a shitload of image formats. and cximage can then die in a horrible fire.
(2015-06-11, 10:31)Paxxi Wrote:
(2015-06-10, 16:11)Robotica Wrote: But webp isn't supported . However, adding decoding support should be easy. Probably only activating it's extension since the needed dependencies already support webp for a long time.

Never assume a change is easy without knowing the codebase inside out, it's not helpful to the conversation and it can trigger a bit of hostility sometimes.

AFAIK we have our own imagelib and I haven't seen any webp support in it, adding support would likely require a fair bit of work.

What dependencies are you referring to that already has the support needed?

it's simple. Why do you suggest otherwise?
pr for webp is there: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/8370
but will not be commited before Jarvis is branched.

there could be an estimated speed improvement due to ~30% smaller files. But that's if decoder has the same speed to read all data into memory.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WebP Image Support0