Another what hardware thread
There is such a thing as too much info I think. I was all set to get the Nvidia box until I started reading here and there. Now in overload and thinking there is no single solution for what I'd like to do.

What I'd like, in order of importance:

Netflix and/or Amazon instant. (currently Netflix, thinking of switching to Amazon)
Local MKV video, FLAC audio content from ext 4TB HDD (USB 3.0)
Spotify
5.1 minimum audio
4K/UHD in the future
Sling TV (maybe)

There is already a Tivo Roamio and an apple TV on this system. So if I had to I could use the ATV for amazon. Hell I can use it or the Tivo for netflix. There's also a ps3 that I can get spotify through but I was hoping to combine a lot of this stuff into one box. I can switch any of this gear to the bedroom TV via the sub HDMI output of the receiver. The whole mess is controlled with a Harmony Hub.

So what do you think? Just go for a chromebox and continue switching to ATV for amazon? Something else? Anything worth waiting for?

Thanks!
Jim
I'd just get a Fire TV if you want Amazon, since it has by far the best UI for it. Checks all boxes except 4K, but for the price you can just plan on an upgrade when it finally becomes a reality. Get a Flirc for it to control with the Harmony. Edit: The Harmony hub should have Bluetooth, so it should work directly with the Fire TV.
Well that was easy, thanks. I didnt know 4k was even on the horizon for FTV.
(2015-06-10, 00:43)MouthBreather Wrote: Well that was easy, thanks. I didnt know 4k was even on the horizon for FTV.
It's not as far as I know. But there is no real content now either. In a couple of years if 4K becomes more mainstream, there will be low-cost hardware options to support it.
My question is what did you read "here and there" that apparently made you change your mind about the Nvidia SATV?
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
I dont care about games, which the shield is primarily designed for, and no Spotify. As I said Im thinking of switching from Netflix to Amazon. Being that Im not a gamer, pretty spendy, 250 with the remote. I wanted to like it for the specs but not a good fit
Yes, Nvidia is pushing it as a gaming device, but it's not really primarily designed for it.

After all, it's just a Android TV box not some special build just for gaming. Also, Nvidia has made it known that they are interested in making it a good streaming box also. Nvidia is working with the Kodi team (according to some posts) at least to some degree to make the SATV a good Kodi box.

It's already a better Kodi box than the Fire TV, since it allows for frame rate switching, as well they will be adding MPEG-2 decoding in a update this month (and no telling what else) as well their looking at adding HD audio pass-through and 23.976fps output.

As for the remote, you don't need the one they sell unless you just want a matching set. It has a built in IR receiver (which will work with Harmony remotes) or you can buy a cheap bluetooth remote.

I'm not sure about Spotify, but I'm sure it can be sideloaded and they'll bring their app to Android TV sooner or later. But whether it's available to install directly from the Play Store is up to the developer and Google. Sideloading apps though is relatively easy though.

I'm not trying to sell you on the SATV, but I think that you have a misconception of it.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Well if someone can verify the spotify Ill reconsider. It does have some killer specs. I think it will take some time for that box to mature
Well, the official app doesn't, but this unofficial Android TV app does: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...tv.spotify, or at least I was able to install and navigate. I don't have a premium account so I don't know how well it works.

You can't create an account, without a browser which the SATV doesn't have, but you can login (at least with facebook).

If you want an official Spotify Android TV app, bug them: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Id...i-p/951259

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Another what hardware thread0