Combo server/htpc idea. Possible?
Question 
Maybe this is simpler than I think, but I basically want to combine my front end and back-end into one box. I currently have a server that runs SABznbd+, SickBeard, CouchPotato, and Plex. Then I have a front-end XBMCbuntu machine connected to my network. It works wonderfully, but I really want to pinch some pennies and move that XBMCbuntu box to my bedroom and move the server to the living room, but that would require combining the server with the UX. I want to retain the normal living room experience XBMCbuntu gives me by booting stright into XBMC.

I don't mind setting everything up again, because I'm going to have to anyways for a different reason. I don't care the OS, as long as it supports ZFS. How can I do this?
I'm not very familiar with the software you run on your server, but I think, Kodibuntu has the flexibikity to do that all. Nearly any package can be installed there, as it is a normal (L)ubuntu.

If Kodibuntu runs on that server depends on the hardware thjs server is using. The GPU is most important. So a few specs fro this machine would be nice to be sure all will work fine.

Greetings
I have a Radeon HD 4850 I can use in the server if needed.

I found some instructions on how to install Kodi on linux and auto-start so I am running some tests in a VM now. Hopefully I can get this to work.
It's entirely doable. While I use Windows, my bedroom HTPC is running Sabnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, MySQL, DriveBender, and hosting 21TB of storage over SMB. It has a Radeon HD 6850 in it and it's hooked up to the bedroom TV as the HTPC for that TV as well as being a server.
(2015-06-11, 04:17)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It's entirely doable. While I use Windows, my bedroom HTPC is running Sabnzbd, SickBeard, CouchPotato, MySQL, DriveBender, and hosting 21TB of storage over SMB. It has a Radeon HD 6850 in it and it's hooked up to the bedroom TV as the HTPC for that TV as well as being a server.

That is awesome! I am trying to dream up a similar set up with ZFS RAIDZ. 3TBx8. I just finished testing the test installation of Kodi on ubuntu server. What kind of case are you using?
(2015-06-11, 03:59)zzaq Wrote: I have a Radeon HD 4850 I can use in the server if needed.

I found some instructions on how to install Kodi on linux and auto-start so I am running some tests in a VM now. Hopefully I can get this to work.
Why not just install Kodibuntu and then run the other services on there? Unless you want a different Linux distribution.

Installing Kodi on Linux and having it autostart is not difficult to setup, I use to do it before XMBCbuntu, but obviously Kodibuntu is easier.
I don't suggest kodibuntu at all on this ancient ATI card - stay with windows, if you really want to use this card.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-11, 06:36)katsup Wrote:
(2015-06-11, 03:59)zzaq Wrote: I have a Radeon HD 4850 I can use in the server if needed.

Why not just install Kodibuntu and then run the other services on there? Unless you want a different Linux distribution.

Installing Kodi on Linux and having it autostart is not difficult to setup, I use to do it before XMBCbuntu, but obviously Kodibuntu is easier.

The main reason is this: I am used to using ubuntu server. That's about it.

Other important reasons are I am running the OS on a flash drive and the GUI is unnecessary and wasted resources. I manage the whole thing from web servers and putty.
(2015-06-12, 01:32)zzaq Wrote: The main reason is this: I am used to using ubuntu server. That's about it.

Other important reasons are I am running the OS on a flash drive and the GUI is unnecessary and wasted resources. I manage the whole thing from web servers and putty.
I thought you wanted the server and Kodi on the same machine in the living room. I have done this before with a few devices, both on a standard linux install and XBMC/Kodibubuntu.

However, listen to fritsch as he is smarter than I.
Yes, that is right, katsup. I'm not referring to the Kodi GUI. The entire desktop environment is unessesary in my situation, is it not?

Fritsch, why do you feel that the HD 4850 can't handle Kodi?
The ease of setup with kodibuntu acting as a server / frontend vs a minimal install + Kodi is worth the few extra resources to me. To each their own.
(2015-06-12, 05:18)zzaq Wrote: Yes, that is right, katsup. I'm not referring to the Kodi GUI. The entire desktop environment is unessesary in my situation, is it not?

Fritsch, why do you feel that the HD 4850 can't handle Kodi?

AMDs linux drivers for series <5xxx are lacking features kodi needs for hardware acceleration

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Combo server/htpc idea. Possible?0