Blu-Ray KODI player
Hi,

I have bin scanning the web for a small good looking HTPC that is running KODI and has a built in optical Blu-ray player
I would love if it has 4K or even 4K upscale.

I like the Google Nexus Player look but it has not an optical Blu-ray player and it is running android as operating system.
I have nothing against android but the little i have used it it has bin taking up very much CPU power and lagging a bit.
that's why i am looking for something running KODI as a "base OS"

Anyone know a player like this?
Kodi isn't an OS, it's an application. The only device you'll find that can play physical bluray discs as well as Kodi is a Windows-based PC.
well PC anyways http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=67420
(2015-06-11, 08:57)Matt Devo Wrote: Kodi isn't an OS, it's an application. The only device you'll find that can play physical blu-ray discs as well as Kodi is a Windows-based PC.

I know its not an OS that's why i wrote "base OS". I have used xbian a couple of times and it is running on a very slimmed Linux OS with kodi on top. that is what i meant with "base OS"

so the only way is as you say with a PC running Windows or Linux.
there is no finished product out there that has this?
Have a look at OpenELEC http://openelec.tv/
It is a Linux OS "built around Kodi"
(2015-06-12, 09:42)Wahren Wrote: so the only way is as you say with a PC running Windows or Linux.

No - there are no commercial Blu-ray players that run Kodi (I haven't seen any Android TV based Blu-ray players either - so the Android Kodi option seems a non-starter) that I'm aware of.

I'm also not aware of any commercial x86 boxes with a BD-ROM or BD-RW drive that come with Kodi pre-installed with Blu-ray support on either Windows or a Linux distro. AIUI Kodi under Windows can be configured for Blu-ray support with an external player like WinDVD, and Linux support is in development and kind of possible, if a bit kludgy. Not sure physical Blu-ray playback is a high priority though.
(2015-06-12, 11:07)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-12, 09:42)Wahren Wrote: so the only way is as you say with a PC running Windows or Linux.

No - there are no commercial Blu-ray players that run Kodi (I haven't seen any Android TV based Blu-ray players either - so the Android Kodi option seems a non-starter) that I'm aware of.

I'm also not aware of any commercial x86 boxes with a BD-ROM or BD-RW drive that come with Kodi pre-installed with Blu-ray support on either Windows or a Linux distro. AIUI Kodi under Windows can be configured for Blu-ray support with an external player like WinDVD, and Linux support is in development and kind of possible, if a bit kludgy. Not sure physical Blu-ray playback is a high priority though.

there are a few HTPC's with bluray players that would be compatible with kodi IE: Lenovo IdeaCentre Q190 or a Cybertron PC StreamerHT TMC114A would be more than powerful enough to run kodi/ steam/ bluray and whatever else you want on it. Your looking at $400 minimum. More affordably it makes sense to run a standalone blu-ray player and a chromebox instead. but it's your system, your choice.
The downside is the limited support you might get since very few people seem to want to go this route so any bugs you might run into you will be on your own for the most part to resolve.
Alternatively - rip your Blu-rays to ISOs or folders and play from a server or storage within Kodi. Whether it is legal to rip discs you own will depend where you live in the world.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-Ray KODI player0