Linux Best solution for Intel Levels Issue?
Hi all.

I'm aware that there is an issue with the limited and full range settings when using VAAPI deinterlacing. I've got a HP 260 g1 with a 2957u processor in - pretty much the same processor as in the Chromebox everybody loves.

My TV can accept both Full & Limited range input and allows you to choose between the two. I'm just trying to figure out what the best settings are to ensure the best image quality.

It's been sat in the box for a while now so it'd be nice to use it to finally replace my Fire TV!

Cheers!
I run Limited level 16-235 output because my other AV sources I route through my amp are also Limited (Blu-ray player, Sky+ PVR, Games Consoles - though these can be modified) This isn't optimal in Kodi with VAAPI rendering as you get 16-235 -> 0-255 -> 16-235 conversion. (You may get banding due to maths / rounding errors this way and will lose <16 and >235 BTB / WTW (*) content - but this shouldn't be an issue for modern source material)

If you forego VAAPI rendering (and MCDI high quality deinterlacing) you can configure your PC for Full range output AND enable Limited range output in Kodi - which will output 16-235 Limited (though your PC thinks it is outputting 0-255 Kodi pre-processes to avoid this being 'wrong' when feeding a Limited display) . This avoids a 0-255 mid-point I believe (but will still need to do an SD 601 YCrCb to HD 709 YCrCb conversion matrix when playing SD material in HD modes) You should avoid maths / rounding errors - at least with HD in/HD out situations I think - and this should retain BTB/WTW stuff.

If you want to keep VAAPI rendering, you can configure your PC AND your display for Limited output - which will have just a single 16-235 -> 0-255 conversion rather than a round trip - but this means your display HDMI input must be configured for Full 0-255 level inputs (not always possible if you use an AVR fed with other sources which are limited) and you will still lose BTB/WTW content.

Personally I don't really notice the banding - so run with VAAPI rendering and Limited output levels - but I'd prefer it if were possible to avoid it. I believe the devs are looking at a solution which will avoid the 0-255 requirement for VAAPI.

(*) BTB = Blacker than Black, WTW = Whiter than White. The Limited 16-235 levelspace allows for <16 sub-black and >235 super-white content - which shouldn't contain valid picture information BUT should be preserved ideally. This is to avoid overshoots and undershoots present in source material being clipped, which can cause ringing, particularly when content is filtered/re-sampled or output in the analogue domain.
noggin - thank you for sharing your knowledge!

I'd quite like high quality de-interlacing if possible as we use Kodi on our main Live TV machine. I notice you specifically state "High Quality Deinterlacing", is there a standard deinterlacer available that will avoid these issues? Currently we have no deinterlacing enabled on the Fire TV and to be quite honest with you, I'm happy with the image quality - I'd just like to avoid the frame drops/stutters.

Also, is it possible to set it up so that VAAPI is only used on content that actually requires deinterlacing? I don't mind banding or whatever on Live TV but I want my blu-ray rips to look the best they can possibly be.

I'm not using an AVR and my TV allows level setting per Input which helps.

Cheers!
Quote:I'd quite like high quality de-interlacing if possible as we use Kodi on our main Live TV machine. I notice you specifically state "High Quality Deinterlacing", is there a standard deinterlacer available that will avoid these issues? Currently we have no deinterlacing enabled on the Fire TV and to be quite honest with you, I'm happy with the image quality - I'd just like to avoid the frame drops/stutters.

Disable "Prefer VAAPI Render Method" and use "Deinterlace" Method. This will use CPU deinterlacing with Yadif. So best out of both worlds and Limited SW Range is possible.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Perfect! Thankyou both!
southlegend. I see this box is a good price on ebuyer £119, would you recommend over say a Chromebox. I have the Zotac B1320 which I love (same hardware also) but looking to potential replace my NUC N2820 and like the idea of the all in one rather than barbones Zotac.

Thanks
I've just ordered another one from eBuyer for the spare room haha!

For me, it's a great deal as I don't need the Wifi/Bluetooth connectivity. I don't think there are any other noticeable differences? If they were the same price then I'd go for the Chromebox but as it stands, I don't need the additional functions.
southlegend box now 20 cheaper at dabs. If you can maybe return and re order.
https://m.dabs.com/products/hp-260-g1--d...00#gallery
Seriously tempted
Looking at the HP 260 G1 it doesn't have HDMI output - so you'll need to factor in a Displayport to HDMI adaptor for use in most situations.
I'm a newbie and english is not my mother language so this question about 16-235 on linux make me always confused:

With chromebox and panny vt60 (setting in auto for space color) i don't select in open elec 16-235 cause i read here:

Code:
The 16-235 mode in Kodis video menu is there only for use when your system is configured for the GPU to output 0-255 but you want 16-235 output. You don't normally need it on Intel GPU boxes as Intel GPUs running 720p or 1080i/p output modes default to the GPU being in 16-235 output mode by default for standard video modes. You may need that option with an nVidia or AMD video card (and you haven't edited xrandr to output Limited range) OR if you have altered your Intel output range to Full using xrandr.

If you select limited colour range and your Intel GPU has defaulted to 16-235 output as well you end up with very grey blacks and washed out colours as you are doing a double conversion to Limited range.

Also in kodi wiki vaapi is suggested to be selected:

Link

And also a member on avs replied:
All hdtvs default to limited and only a few lets you select rgb full. In most cases this is just a matter of plug and play and not something you have to tinker with.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best solution for Intel Levels Issue?0