Digital sound detected but no 5.1 output
I recently bought a Raspberry Pi 2B with a Hifiberry digi board.
I connected the rasp to my receiver via S/PDIF. My receiver is a SONY STR-DB925
Although my receiver is an old one it is capable of receiving and recognizing DTS and AC3 signals.
As long as the sound format is analog everything is working fine. Radio/Movie sounds are normal.
As soon as my receiver detects a digital signal it switches to digital decoding.
The display shows it is decoding digital sounds over 5 speakers, but only the background sounds are heard over my front speakers.
I cannot hear any sound over my surround speakers.
E.g. there are no voices over the center speaker.

In OpenElec I’ve selected the S/PDIF option as output source.
Further I’ve enabled the passthrough option and I also enabled DTS and AC3 support in OpenElec.

What could be the problem?
Is it because my amp is old (although when connected to my DVD player with S/PDIF it plays perfect DTS signals).
I'm running OpenElec version 5.0.8
See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#H...support.3F

Make sure "number of channels" is 2 for spdif/optical.
Thanks for the reply. Forgive me my ignorance but were is the "number of channels" option. I cannot find it.
Has it something to do with the fact that I've selected "optical S/PDIF" as my "Audio output device"?
Hmmm. See: http://kodi.wiki/view/Audio_settings
Quote:Note: This setting might not be exposed depending on what is set for Audio output device.

No voices on centre channel is typically having "number of channels" set to 5.1.

Can you switch to HDMI, make sure "number of channels" is 2.0 and then switch back to spdif device?
If I understand correct, you want me to switch to HDMI as "Audio output device", then set 'number of channels' to 2.0 and than switch back to the "asla - S/PDIF optical"?

I will give it a try once I have the change.
I gave it a try this weekend and I can't figure it out.

Friday evening I switched to HDMI and set the channels to 2.0, then I switched back to optical and everything worked fine. I got 5.1 sound over my receiver.

Today I could not reach my Pi and I had to pull the powerplug. After hard reboot, my 5.1 sound is lost again.
Whatever I'm trying to do, switching "output channel", reboot, I'm not having any 5.1 sound.

Any ideas?

update: I noticed that when my sound channel is hdmi, i have GUI sound. When switched back to optical the GUI sound is also gone
Yesterday I've tried a AC3 test avi and I only got sound over my front speakers (No 5.1 sound)?

OpenELEC 6.0 bèta 2 is released and it seems one of the updated core components is:

Code:
projects/WeTek_Play/patches/kodi: add patch to force IEC958 Audio and remove temporary patch to Allow audio passthrough

Would that help to fix my problem as I have a feeling it is software related?
Somebody any ideas?
Hi, have you tried disabling OMXplayer acceleration?, not really sure if it helps with the Hifiberry, but for me (TV optical to old receiver) it only works when using DVDplayer (MMAL).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital sound detected but no 5.1 output0