Add-ons handling is confusing
((** i decided to edit title and the message because they were unnecessarily harsh **))

I do have problems with the way the add-ons are handled.

I do agree that Kodi has quite a few nice features, but the interface and flow regarding add-ons is imho inappropriate (or, should be improved).

XBMC/Kodi/Whatever add-ons handling is not intuitive, it's in fact very confusing, because of the additional steps to reach some simple goals. Also the skins have no ui pattern, some have too much options that change too little, and the main/submenus need more clicks than really needed to actually watch content using add-ons.

While I've been using/programming computers for almost my entire life, I wonder how a real newbie feels when trying to use Kodi with add-ons, this is probably even more confusing to them.

See ya, thanks.

((** i decided to edit title and the message because they were unnecessarily harsh **))
"Why don't you go and invent one, there, Edison."

Seriously, since you're such a great programmer, you should make the perfect ui. You can make a skin with kodi to do and look however you want. Why not just make the perfect skin instead of complaining.
Everyone is, of course, entitled to their view. However I suggest you give a concrete example and how you would do it differently. Such would be more constructive.

Kodi is complex which makes for many options.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
First, thanks for replying.

I will reiterate that feature wise XBMC/Kodi is great. It does not lack in features. Interface wise is what I am complaining about. It IS confusing, except for those of us who have time to spend tweaking the program. When I was a teenager, I was very happy to tweak every single aspect of any program I had installed on my computers. These days, though, I always prefer programs that are quick to setup and go. I believe that many people think this way as well. Also, most end users tend to not want to learn too much about programs, they simply want things running quick and easy.

So, here is one example: add-ons. Ok, so I installed a dozen video add-ons and a dozen music add-ons, and all seem nice and all. But then, why is it so hard to reach them, why don't they simply show as big enough thumbnails in the main menu, without requiring a lot of steps to mess with skin config just to see shortcuts etc? Not trying to over value my time, but I don't have time for that. I wanted to install as many add-ons as possible, and they simply appear quick and easy for me, on the main screen. I don't want to spend hours on the forums to understand how to do that. I tried switching skins to see if one of them would do that, but none did, and some even caused problems requiring to restart the raspberry. (Edit: not to mention that menus then changed and it was hard to find how to switch skins again). I even had to access by ssh to delete a few things which were causing problems. Hours later and I still don't have the add-ons shown quickly as I expected at first.

Also, I do think that after selecting a given add-on, it should simply open a default list whatever it is, latest or most popular, whatever, without requiring too many steps setting that up. But again, the system comes asking and asking and configuring, and scripts crashing, and again to see some content it was another headache. I just want to see some content, I don't want to learn another operating system!!!

Ok, you are of course entitled to your opinions as well, but I beg to disagree. Great features yes, great interface no, that is my opinion. Too many steps to have what seems to me to be the expected by most. Install add-on, see add-on on main screen. Click add-on, see big contents next. Quick. Imho it should even preload add-ons contents while idle. Without having to ask, setup, configure, answer, click click click...

That is similar to Linux vs Windows: I myself do use Linux daily, I love Linux, I had time to learn Linux when I was younger, but why do you think Linux is not mainstream yet? Dont you agree it is better than Windows? I do. Please think about that.

Just keep it simple! Just show the darn content, please! At least give an option on the first run: "do you want a simple interface? Yes or No?" Then if Yes, just show everything as simple as possible, most users just want to see contents! Why not?

See ya, thanks.
And this is the real 'supergenius'? Kodi is a multi-media home theatre player featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls for serious home theatre enthusiasts. The fact that 3rd party add-ons don't show up on top seems to be your main beef, I would say use a web browser and bookmarks. Thanks for your first blush opinion, hopefully I'll be able to test your skin as you envision.
While we try to improve Kodi when we can to make it easier to set up, the idea is that it is easy to use once it is set up, but the set up itself does require effort. This is because there are so many options, and that is what makes Kodi so powerful. There are plenty of turn-key media center programs out there, like Media Browser, Plex, Apple TV, WDTV Live. Those apps are instant pop-up tents, while Kodi is like building a house. Once the house is built, then anyone can open the door and use it.

Like I said, we still try to make it easier whenever possible, but this has to be balanced with allowing for configurable options, a totally customizable UI, and so on. The only way to truly make it "easy" would be to remove most of the options, and then it wouldn't be Kodi anymore.
(2015-06-13, 03:59)supergenius Wrote: Just keep it simple! Just show the darn content, please! At least give an option on the first run: "do you want a simple interface? Yes or No?" Then if Yes, just show everything as simple as possible, most users just want to see contents! Why not?

While I disagree with most of what you've said, since you're talking about setting Kodi up rather than daily Kodi usage (for example, my parents would never know how to set up Kodi, but they use it every day without my help.), I think you do have a good point here. Maybe it would be worth looking into having a first-time startup question that says "simple mode? yes/no?" that would then load some super basic skin (maybe with some helper service add-ons) with little to no options. Although, even then, preference still has a lot to do with what people want and where, but it's not a bad idea. It would allow a way for Kodi to appeal to both the "hard core" home theater users and the casual users.

At the very least, it's a thought to consider.
I think maybe KODI is not the right program for you, most people come here to ask assistance on the forums, to learn something or even contribute code, instead of provide non-constructive critiquing through a pun.

Please feel free to contribute some code/fixes or a skin mod if you feel this can be done better, which in turn could support your argument for improvements to KODI's interface, etc.
Most people here have their own media so want that to take center stage hence the UI is optimised for building a library of local content stored either on the device itself or somewhere on your home network, so for most of the dev team the Add-ons are just that, additions to the main function of watching your own media. If you exclusively stream your content from web sources using Add-ons then fully agreed it probably isn't optimal, but this is something that probably could mostly be solved by someone producing a skin that works like smart tv's where the apps have main focus.
Thank you for your replies. I just edited the first post because I noticed my initial post was unnecessarily aggressive. My apologies for that.

I think you guys nailed it quickly. In my use case, add-ons and online content are currently as desirable as my local media, and indeed I wanted them to be on top as well. I wanted them integrated seamlessly to the main screen, not as secondary submenus. That would be really nice to have a skin with that in mind. Maybe I should find some time to do that then, if that is possible in Kodi.

As for my nick, yes that is right, I'm not the real supergenius, that was only a joke, my real nick is ultra, ultragenius. Smile

Thanks.
(2015-06-13, 11:08)supergenius Wrote: In my use case, add-ons and online content are currently as desirable as my local media, and indeed I wanted them to be on top as well. I wanted them integrated seamlessly to the main screen, not as secondary submenus. That would be really nice to have a skin with that in mind. Maybe I should find some time to do that then, if that is possible in Kodi.

It is possible. There are many skins that allow to pin addons and shortcuts to the main menu. Xperience1080 is one example... They do need some time to set up though. But as said, if you want an out of the box solution kodi isn't the right media center for you (yet?).
There are some valid points here and I do agree that some add-ons are hard to find or configure and even Confluence may be somewhat unintuitive for beginners.

For example where should add-on configuration happen? "System->Add-ons" section? Or directly from add-on? Is there "configuration menu" available in add-on ui or should you bring configuration settings up via contex menu? Then there are exceptions, like metadata scrapers that you can configure per source. I do understand why there is so many places to configure add-on and I can't think of any alternative way to this situation, but it is.. not optimal. Smile

I can manage my way out of these situations (as I consider my self quite advanced Kodi user) but none of my friends can't so I end up setting Kodi and libraries for them and saying "Don't touch anything". (Not a big deal, it doesn't take much time from me anymore.)

(2015-06-13, 05:42)Ned Scott Wrote: Maybe it would be worth looking into having a first-time startup question that says "simple mode? yes/no?" that would then load some super basic skin (maybe with some helper service add-ons) with little to no options.

Actually I would use super simple mode myself too and hide all unnecessary elements out of sight and bring them back only when I really need them. That would be my "daily usage mode" and most likely that mode would be the only mode for my friends. Browse library, play. No need for source editing, artwork updating, different views, settings.. etc...

- "What the.. why is there menu items visible on the screen? How can I get them off? I want to see The Simpsons!!!"

- Sigh.. "Press tab."

Big Grin
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter
(2015-06-13, 11:08)supergenius Wrote: Thank you for your replies. I just edited the first post because I noticed my initial post was unnecessarily aggressive. My apologies for that.

I think you guys nailed it quickly. In my use case, add-ons and online content are currently as desirable as my local media, and indeed I wanted them to be on top as well. I wanted them integrated seamlessly to the main screen, not as secondary submenus. That would be really nice to have a skin with that in mind. Maybe I should find some time to do that then, if that is possible in Kodi.

As for my nick, yes that is right, I'm not the real supergenius, that was only a joke, my real nick is ultra, ultragenius. Smile

Thanks.

Have you tried the Super Favourites addon, amongst other things this allows you to put just the bits of every addon/kodi item you want into one list (organised into subfolders should you wish).

You can then setup a hotkey to launch the addon or set it to start immediately when kodi starts.
(2015-06-13, 03:59)supergenius Wrote: Just show the darn content, please!
In regards to improving add-on content handling in Kodi, checkout the related project work being done by Montellese on media importing and library integration of UPnP here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=224794

As he explains there, media content importing from UPnP sources is just his first proof-of-concept, support for add-on sources could surely follow after that sooner or later.

Some additional thread with discussions around similar and related ideas about library integration with content from third-party sources like add-ons can also be found here:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=165024
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=105147
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=54061
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=200911
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=141169

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add-ons handling is confusing0