Linux Slightly OT: Music Playing Server
Music 
I have (6) Kodi on Ubuntu boxes in my house, nothing will ever replace them for video. However, I am currently using (2) Apple AirPorts that are Airplay receivers where I send music from my iPhone into my whole home audio system. Due to some wireless complexities I often loose a few seconds of playback way too often.

I also have 2 linux servers right next to my audio system and I could plug a cable from the audio out right into it so I am thinking of replacing those AirPorts and not using Airplay anymore. My tendency is to put in Kodi, set he Kodi app to control the music, but wondering if that is overkill and maybe a little more complex on a headless linux boxHuh I was wondering if any of you have any other suggestions for something besides Kodi...Here are my (hopeful) requirements in order of importance:

1) MUST run on Linux
2) iPhone App as a remote, or at the very least a nicely formatted web page that works well on iPhone/iPad
3) Create dynamic playlists as the music files get updated (daughter, son, mine, etc.)
4) Work with one of the streaming services, Pandora, Spotify, etc.
5) Ability to search for YouTube or Vevo music videos--ok I said no video but would love a way to play a one-off song not in my library. Doesn't have to be one of those services
6) Create sub-playlists under each person (dad-rock, daughter-dance, daughter-hardcoregangstarap,etc.)
7) Remote/app displays album art--Kodi set the bar high on prettiness.

Now I know Kodi can do all of this, am I just being a chicken and should shut up and do it already with Kodi? Or do you have other more simpler alternatives? I just need it to be super simple so my family will use it. They know how to do Airplay very well.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Take a look at mpd.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Slightly OT: Music Playing Server0