• 3(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Prefer adaptors that are flying leads rather than rigid - as think they are less likely to break-off (bending moments and all that), so will probably go with a plug and socket combo.
Well - it's arrived. First impressions - very neat and low profile. Looks more like an Office thin client than a domestic product. A tiny bit lower profile (but only a tiny bit) than an Asus Chromebox, but significantly wider and deeper.

Have only booted up Windows on it - but it feels a little bit quieter than the Asus Chromebox. Am running it into a 2048x1536 iPad retina screen via Displayport - and it has no problems with that display and resolution. I don't use Windows 8.1 very much, but it feels very snappy.

Keyboard it came with feels quite low cost, but for the price a keyboard and mouse are, quite frankly, bonuses.

Power adaptor looks superficially identical to the PSU that my work HP Laptop uses. It's a PSU with a Clover leaf mains input, so you can change mains cables depending on your region (rather than like some Chromeboxes which have integrated mains plug/PSUs that require adaptors to use out-of-region)

Will try and pick up a Displayport to HDMI adaptor and report back this evening.
I've ordered one myself so I look forward to reading your impressions as you seem quite knowledgeable about this stuff. Would there be any huge benefit to using something like openlec instead of windows? I'll only really use it for watching 720p/1080p mkv files from an unraid server. Interface wise it'll probably be a large step up for me which ever os I use as I'm coming from an Apple TV 1.
Thanks noggin for sharing your experiences, makes me feel like I've brought it Big Grin. didn't think dabs gave you a keyboard and mouse so yeah that's great, I could tell it was cheap. The fact that it might be quieter than the Asus is great! If you can pictures would be great noggin. Looking forward to more review Big Grin
Just got back in from town with an HDMI / Displayport dongle, so now connected to my Onkyo amp and Sony TV via HDMI.

Full HD Audio support listed in Win 8.1 sound control panel into the Onkyo :

8 channels, HDCP supported, 16/20/24bit, 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192kHz sample rates supported.

DTS Audio, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD, Dolby True HD and Dolby Digital all listed as supported.

Next step is to install Kodi for Windows and see how that performs. Will post pictures tomorrow probably.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Display-Female-V...rt+to+hdmi

£2.49
awesome noggin! Big Grin
are you intending to dual boot? or do you think you'll keep windows kodi?
are you having fun?
Not sure yet. If I dual boot I'll probably try and find a way to put a 2.5" SSD in for a bit more space for Windows, and put OpenElec on the SSD. I may use this as a Win 10 experimental box. Really not sure.
Quote:Power - on from Keyboard Feature

The HP 260 Desktop Mini PC includes a feature allowing for powering on the PC from the keyboard

Hardware setup for power - on from keyboard
The keyboard must be connected to a specific USB port on the system. This USB port can be found on the back of the unit and is indicated by a small keyboard icon.
System setup for power - on from keyboardTongueower-on from keyboard must be enabled in the system BIOS. The default factory state is OFF. To enable the feature in the system BIOS, perform the following steps:

1.Power on the PC while holding down the F10 button to enter the Setup Utility (note: use arrow keys and Enter/Tab keys to navigate the Setup Utility)
2.From the “Power” menu choose “Hardware Power Management”. Press “Enter
3.From the Hardware Power Management Menu scroll to “Power on from USB Kbd Port” and choose “Enable”
4.Choose F10 to Accept
5.From the “File” menu choose “Save Changes and Exit”. The system will then boot up with the feature enabled.
Your system is now setup to power - on from the keyboard. To turn the power on simply press any key

Quote:The fully functional HP 260
Desktop Mini PC delivers the
benefit of space saving design
that can grow with your
business and is equipped with
the essential tools you need
at an affordable price.

It seems the unit is aimed at buisness sector and hence the power on feature must be designed to save on energy (for a buisness)

noggin have you tried the power on feature?
Yes - definitely a business unit. Looks similar to the thin clients you often see in offices. The lack of HDMI is also a signal that it is a business unit rather than consumer device.

Haven't tried Keyboard power on yet.

Kodi Beta 2 for Windows is installed and working. 720/50p H264 off-air TV recordings are playing back well - PCM2.0 and DD audio output from MP2 and DD tracks, and as expected refresh rate switching is working fine. 1080/50i 25Mbs H264 self-encodes with DTS HD MA audio are playing back with at-first-glance decent deinterlacing to 50p and HD Audio bitstreamed.

1080/23.976p movies seem to be playing OK at 23.976p in Kodi - haven't had time to watch anything at length but all seems good.

Netflix Windows App works and bitstreams in DD+. However running at 1080/23p or 1080/24p display refresh I'm getting odd frame drops/repeats on Daredevil. (Don't think I got this with a Z-series SOC tablet feeding an HDMI display)
I found this Disassembly Instructions for the model (HP 260G1DM, I think this model just includes the sata cable since in this site selling the unit has "Storage Controller SATA" http://www.misco.co.uk/product/2460960/H...Desktop-PC)

Product End-of-Life Disassembly Instructions (with pictures Big Grin )
http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizensh...903129.pdf

hope that helps noggin(you should definetly download a copy for future use)

sounds promising so far noggin, the frame drops arn't to good though, after a day with the unit how are your impressions?
oh and incase it interest you I also found another seller seeling the sata cable
http://www.lambda-tek.com/HP-805299-001~sh/B2052333
£9.97 £11.96 inc. VAT

I know HP selling it for £10.51 and not sure if thats with or without vat and not sure who charges more for delivery, but thought I'll throw this out there just incase

EDIT
I added to cart and total came upto £16.28
SUBTOTAL £9.97
DELIVERY £3.60 (pretty expensive for a cable)
VAT (20%) £2.71
TOTAL £16.28
(2015-06-21, 09:44)MediaPi Wrote: sounds promising so far noggin, the frame drops arn't to good though, after a day with the unit how are your impressions?

Only really had about an hour or so with it. Impressions favourable so far. Quiet, and good Windows Kodi performance for the stuff I watch.

Will see if I can install OE to an external USB 3.0 stick or USB 3.0 connected SATA SSD to see how that goes next.
(2015-06-21, 09:52)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 09:44)MediaPi Wrote: sounds promising so far noggin, the frame drops arn't to good though, after a day with the unit how are your impressions?

Only really had about an hour or so with it. Impressions favourable so far. Quiet, and good Windows Kodi performance for the stuff I watch.

Will see if I can install OE to an external USB 3.0 stick or USB 3.0 connected SATA SSD to see how that goes next.
awesome! looking forward to it Smile
First things I've done. Made a System Image Backup and extracted my Windows 8.1 key from the BIOS using both WOLF from Byteme ( http://www.bytemedev.com/wolf/ ) and RW Everything ( http://rweverything.com/download/ ) just to make sure I'd done it OK.

Have played around with power settings. F10 will enter the BIOS/UEFI (not sure which it is) - but you don't have as many options, at least at first glance, as you do with other BIOSs. Enabled hardware power on from keyboard (there are also WOL and other power settings in that menu) Instructions here : http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04531791.pdf

All the following observations are within a stock Win 8.1 with Bing (64 bit) environment.
  • The HP supplied keyboard will power on the HP from fully shutdown with a key press. As expected.
  • My small RF keyboard+trackpad combo will power on the HP from fully off state with a key press. Which is quite cool, though as this is a HID device that properly emulates a cabled keyboard and trackpad/mouse not unexpected
  • Have just tried an MS-approved/compatible Windows MCE Rosewill RC6 IR receiver with a standard RC6 MS MCE remote control, and that too will power on my HP from fully Shut Down - though it appears only the PC O/I Power button powers it back up (not any key unlike the keyboard). Which is also very cool. I suspect this will be quite a big thing for many!

A keyboard connected to the box appears to power it up from a totally cold state - i.e. when you disconnect power and reconnect it. The IR receiver doesn't appear to do this. (When you first connect power you get a brief power lamp flash and the keyboard is powered.)

When you have previously powered the box and shut down (and not removed power), the IR receiver only flashes its LED when you Press the PC O/I Power button on the remote. When you have removed power the IR receiver flashes on every key press, but doesn't wake up the box.

However being able to use a standard IR remote control to Power Up the box from cold is pretty cool - and something I don't think the Chromebox does.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2