• 4(current)
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]
Does FLIRC power up from Shutdown when Emulating a full keyboard ?

Well - OpenElec 5.95.2 (aka Isengard Beta 2) was quite straightforward to install.

F10 to enter the BIOS/UEFI setup. Disable Secure Boot and Fast Boot - reboot to make those changes take effect (You will get a prompt to enter a passcode to confirm you want to disable Secure Boot). Windows booted fine without these options enabled.

I then disabled UEFI and enabled Legacy boot, rebooted and it listed my OpenElec Install Flash USB stick and my USB3.0 connected SSD as legacy boot devices. I set the USB stick as higher in the boot order, rebooted, and the OE installer fired up (I had to press Enter at the Boot prompt) I then installed OE to the USB connected SATA drive NOT the M.2 32GB internal SSD (as I didn't want to zap Windows) from the installer. Rebooted, changed boot order to move USB3.0 connected SSD above the M.2 Internal SSD (both in Legacy section) and it booted into OE fine.

In this mode it feels just like my Chromebox running OE. 1080/50i 25-30Mbs stuff plays fine with DTS HD MA audio bitstreamed, auto refresh rate switching etc. MCDI works fine it seems. CPU loads for replay of the same content in OE appear to be 10% down on both cores compared to the same content in Windows. (15% each in OE, 25% each in Windows 8.1)

Powering on from the MCE remote works after a shutdown in OE too.

HOWEVER - when I rebooted with a second hard drive connected via USB, it got a bit confused and tried to boot from that. So I think there are still some caveats in the BIOS/UEFI stuff.

It appears that the supplied BIOS/UEFI supports both UEFI and Legacy BIOS booting. Will leave others clever than me to comment on best BIOS settings. But this does seem to be pretty much identical to a Chromebox, with the added benefit of remote power on from cold from a MCE remote, or keyboard (RF or direct connect). Downsides are still that it needs a Displayport to HDMI converter and doesn't have integrated Bluetooth or WiFi. Upside is 2 extra USB ports (and VGA analogue output may be useful for some I guess?)
(2015-06-21, 12:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Does FLIRC power up from Shutdown when Emulating a full keyboard ?

No - FLIRC doesn't appear to Power Up from Shut Down.
(2015-06-21, 12:01)noggin Wrote: When you have previously powered the box and shut down (and not removed power), the IR receiver only flashes its LED when you Press the PC O/I Power button on the remote. When you have removed power the IR receiver flashes on every key press, but doesn't wake up the box.

has this got anything to do with

Quote:Confirmed from the "Maintenance and Service Guide" which is freely downloadable from the HP website. The power supply brick uses "HP Smart ID" technology. If you don't use it, all you will get when you try to turn on is:
"Red Power LED flashes four times, once every second,followed by a two second pause. Beeps stop after fifth
iteration but LEDs continue"

taken from http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25361349

I found some troubleshooting guide here about it
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publi...-c00914486

(2015-06-21, 12:01)noggin Wrote: However being able to use a standard IR remote control to Power Up the box from cold is pretty cool - and something I don't think the Chromebox does.

nice! Big Grin

(2015-06-21, 13:01)noggin Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 12:31)wrxtasy Wrote: Does FLIRC power up from Shutdown when Emulating a full keyboard ?

No - FLIRC doesn't appear to Power Up from Shut Down.

can this be remedied with software? doubtful

also apparently someone at hotukdeal deals got this for £85 on flubit
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25370883

Quote:Same here. Smile

Flubit is the winner here than Bespoke Offers as straight purchase after demand but if via TCB/QC (QC currently 12.5%) then Bespoke Offers is better choice.

Flubit
15% discount
We're saving you £14.56
Final Price: £85.43 (inclusive of 1 item, VAT & Standard Delivery)

or;

Bespoke Offers
£88.40*
11.5% discount
The price you found at http://www.ebuyer.com was £99.99 inclusive of £0.00 standard delivery
Savings: £11.59
*Inclusive of VAT and £0.00 standard delivery
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25377731

has anyone any experience with flubit, getting this for £85 is the best bargain ever.
(2015-06-21, 13:12)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 12:01)noggin Wrote: When you have previously powered the box and shut down (and not removed power), the IR receiver only flashes its LED when you Press the PC O/I Power button on the remote. When you have removed power the IR receiver flashes on every key press, but doesn't wake up the box.

has this got anything to do with

Quote:Confirmed from the "Maintenance and Service Guide" which is freely downloadable from the HP website. The power supply brick uses "HP Smart ID" technology. If you don't use it, all you will get when you try to turn on is:
"Red Power LED flashes four times, once every second,followed by a two second pause. Beeps stop after fifth
iteration but LEDs continue"

taken from http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25361349

I found some troubleshooting guide here about it
http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/publi...-c00914486

Don't think so with regard to the MCE dongle. That appears to be concerned with using non-HP Power Supplies doesn't it?

The red LED I'm talking about is the LED in the Rosewill USB IR receiver dongle. That changes behaviour based on whether the USB dongle has remained powered after shut down (where it only looks for the remote PC Power button but that triggers a Power On) or has lost power (where it responds to everything but not in a way that triggers a Power On)

The brief flash of the front panel power LED when power is reconnected may well be it talking to the PSU to confirm it's an official one though.
(2015-06-21, 12:50)noggin Wrote: Downsides are still that it needs a Displayport to HDMI converter and doesn't have integrated Bluetooth or WiFi. Upside is 2 extra USB ports (and VGA analogue output may be useful for some I guess?)

how much did you pay for the converter noggin? I think its a mute point if your willing to wait and get one from china Ebay
£1.60
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DP-Display...51d07426bb

and noggin if your willing you can buy a £1 bluetooth adaptor from poundland, wonder if that would do the trick LOL and noggin I highly recommend this usb wifi adaptor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-USB-Mi...20da91202a

I use this two floors up and stream 1080 p no problems (on my pi)

(2015-06-21, 12:50)noggin Wrote: Powering on from the MCE remote works after a shutdown in OE too.

this is awesome, all things considered this beats asus chromebox (in everyway, except if size is important to you), even if both units where priced equally! thanks noggin for your time and effort
My comments about failed boots with other USB storage devices connected may have been a one-off or a boot order SNAFU. It now appears to work fine.

F9 at power up will enable the Boot menu to let you chose what to boot from. Probably easier than changing boot order manually for a one-off boot from a USB installer?
(2015-06-21, 13:17)noggin Wrote: Don't think so with regard to the MCE dongle. That appears to be concerned with using non-HP Power Supplies doesn't it?

I'm not sure, initially I thought I thought the feature is trying to show as a plus and hence concerned with the official HP power supply, but does seem unrelated with regard to the context where discussing.

noggin you still decided on dual boot? this box should be on "PICK THE RIGHT BOX" thread

but I suspect this is end of line product, can't find the product on HP site and out of stock on amazon (sold by amazon)
and according to this site the RRP: £202.80 (which seems likely considering everything)
http://www.techdna.co.uk/products/HP-260...ni-PC.html

so looks like half price while stocks last? im glad you got one noggin!
(2015-06-21, 13:27)noggin Wrote: My comments about failed boots with other USB storage devices connected may have been a one-off or a boot order SNAFU. It now appears to work fine.

F9 at power up will enable the Boot menu to let you chose what to boot from. Probably easier than changing boot order manually for a one-off boot from a USB installer?
great news
oh noggin asus chromebox is designed to boot really fast into OS (which is one of the reasons some miss the bootup window to get into bios or something)

as a comparison how fast does it (HP 260 G1) boot into OE? is it much different to asus chromebox? if its fast and wakes up with MCE remote then thats pretty amazing and some users pay quite abit just for that feature alone
(2015-06-21, 13:25)MediaPi Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 12:50)noggin Wrote: Downsides are still that it needs a Displayport to HDMI converter and doesn't have integrated Bluetooth or WiFi. Upside is 2 extra USB ports (and VGA analogue output may be useful for some I guess?)

how much did you pay for the converter noggin? I think its a mute point if your willing to wait and get one from china Ebay
£1.60
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-DP-Display...51d07426bb
Realised I could borrow one from work over the weekend - so have done that. So haven't paid anything yet. Will probably order from Amazon - I prefer flying cables to moulded converters as they don't restrict depth and are less likely to damage connectors)

Quote:and noggin if your willing you can buy a £1 bluetooth adaptor from poundland, wonder if that would do the trick LOL
Tried a cheap Bluetooth adaptor. It stays powered after shut down (i.e. the blue LED stays on on the dongle) but a paired PS3 Blu-ray remote doesn't trigger a power on after a shut down. I bought this Bluetooth dongle because it DOES bring Hackintoshes out of standby - so I suspect it's a good test in this regard (i.e. if this dongle doesn't trigger a power on then others won't either?)

I get the feeling the MS MCE remote is quite cleverly setup to do a power on trigger via USB (i.e. it enters some form of HID keyboard emulation mode when it is only looking for the Power button signal from the remote?)

Quote:and noggin I highly recommend this usb wifi adaptor
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300Mbps-USB-Mi...20da91202a

I use this two floors up and stream 1080 p no problems (on my pi)

I live in a really congested WiFi area. 5GHz is OK but 2.4GHz is a no go for anything. To be honest I seldom use Wifi for media duties so don't really need WiFi day-to-day.
Quote:
(2015-06-21, 12:50)noggin Wrote: Powering on from the MCE remote works after a shutdown in OE too.

this is awesome, all things considered this beats asus chromebox (in everyway, except if size is important to you), even if both units where priced equally! thanks noggin for your time and effort

I think the integrated WiFi, Bluetooth and HDMI is still a plus-point for the Chromebox. Personally I'm not a huge fan of having lots of USB devices plugged into my device, though the HP has two USB 2.0 ports in addition to the four USB 3.0 ports that both it and the Chromebox have.

However the HP 260 G1 does appear to be a very neat solution - and I can't say I've even noticed the fan - and I do notice the fan on my Asus Chromebox, so purely subjectively I'd say it is quieter.

Am tempted to see if I can get the SATA cable though - as an internal OE SSD solution would be very neat. If I could find a dual boot solution for Windows 8.1 and OE that would be brilliant.
(2015-06-21, 13:42)noggin Wrote: Tried a cheap Bluetooth adaptor. It stays powered after shut down (i.e. the blue LED stays on on the dongle) but a paired PS3 Blu-ray remote doesn't trigger a power on after a shut down. I bought this Bluetooth dongle because it DOES bring Hackintoshes out of standby - so I suspect it's a good test in this regard (i.e. if this dongle doesn't trigger a power on then others won't either?)
I guess your right

(2015-06-21, 13:42)noggin Wrote: I get the feeling the MS MCE remote is quite cleverly setup to do a power on trigger via USB (i.e. it enters some form of HID keyboard emulation mode when it is only looking for the Power button signal from the remote?)

yeah would be interested to know how the technology works in this regard and if its drawing any measurable power drain, thoough whatever power drain its using, i'm sure is neglligible, wonder if its something to do with the "HP Smart ID" technology." that I mentioned above

(2015-06-21, 13:42)noggin Wrote: Am tempted to see if I can get the SATA cable though - as an internal OE SSD solution would be very neat. If I could find a dual boot solution for Windows 8.1 and OE that would be brilliant.

its a shame the cable cost about £16, I tried to see if you can buy the cable from ebay, but none specific to this (HP 260 G1) model, but plenty cheap ones for other models, here have a look
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...ta&_sop=15

why would hp make a special connector for every single uunit, would be to cost prohibitive so what are the chance that one of these cables will do? have a look at how the connection needs to be (on your unit)
(2015-06-21, 13:57)MediaPi Wrote: yeah would be interested to know how the technology works in this regard and if its drawing any measurable power drain, thoough whatever power drain its using, i'm sure is neglligible, wonder if its something to do with the "HP Smart ID" technology." that I mentioned above

I'd be surprised if they were related. The MCE dongle is ancient - and definitely goes into two different modes (respond to every key press with LED flash, respond to just Power key with LED flash) - so I think it is a quirk/feature of the MCE remote (probably designed for precisely this use case - wake on USB keyboard) I think Smart ID is to do with the PSU to avoid you using the wrong wattage adaptor etc.

Quote:
(2015-06-21, 13:42)noggin Wrote: Am tempted to see if I can get the SATA cable though - as an internal OE SSD solution would be very neat. If I could find a dual boot solution for Windows 8.1 and OE that would be brilliant.

its a shame the cable cost about £16, I tried to see if you can buy the cable from ebay, but none specific to this (HP 260 G1) model, but plenty cheap ones for other models, here have a look
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...ta&_sop=15

why would hp make a special connector for every single uunit, would be to cost prohibitive so what are the chance that one of these cables will do? have a look at how the connection needs to be (on your unit)

I think I'm more likely to go with the official cable if I do - as it guarantees it will work, be the right shape for the enclosure position and motherboard connector position etc. Annoying you can't buy the hard drive mounting screw grommets though. If I go for Windows I may put another 2GB SODIMM in it - if I stick with OE only then I won't. (Windows in 2GB is a bit snug, but for OE it's fine)
agreed not worth it for non official cable.

noggin how about bootup speed (in openelec)
Quote:oh noggin asus chromebox is designed to boot really fast into OS (which is one of the reasons some miss the bootup window to get into bios or something)

as a comparison how fast does it (HP 260 G1) boot into OE? is it much different to asus chromebox? if its fast and wakes up with MCE remote then thats pretty amazing and some users pay quite abit just for that feature alone
also if your interested this gives you an idea of the speeds on the ssd on the HP
Quote:OK, The SSD in the HP 260 is a Sandisk SDSA6MM-032G-1006, CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 gives it the following performance figures : SeqQ32 read 394 MB/s write 88 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 28 MB/s write 13 MB/s, Seq read 403 MB/s, write 84 MB/s, 4K read 13 MB/s write 12 MB/s

The only eMMC I have is a Samsung MBG4GC 32GB in an HP Omni 10, CPU is an Atom Z3770, running 32bit Windows 8.1. CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 run on it the following performance figures : SeqQ32 read 157 MB/s write 38 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 29 MB/s write 7 MB/s, Seq read 87 MB/s, write 38 MB/s, 4K read 11 MB/s write 6 MB/s.

For comparison, a standard 500GB SATA laptop drive (5400rpm) in the HP 260 gives the following CrystalDiskMark 4.0.3 performance figures : SeqQ32 read 122 MB/s write 121 MB/s, 4KQ32 read 1.1 MB/s write 0.8 MB/s, Seq read 122 MB/s, write 121 MB/s, 4K read 0.5 MB/s write 0.8 MB/s.

As you can see, the Sandisk SSD in the HP 260 G1 is significantly faster than the Samsung eMMC disk.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-260-g...p=25355357

nice to know its a decent ssd

I'm hoping you get the chance to dual boot it noggin. Smile
24 seconds from hitting the Power On button to OpenElec accepting remote control inputs. (This is with the Fast Boot in the Secure Boot options disabled along with Secure Boot). I have POST messages enabled.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP 260 G1 [Haswell Celeron 2957U]2